Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Novel Distance end to end…
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ferrit Leggings

Novel Distance end to end…  Reply with quote  

Novel Distance end to end…

I have been writing my book about autism and I am thinking of wrapping it up at about 120 to 150 pages. Does that seem too much like a novelette or should I make it longer. I did not want to make it longer or too much longer than that because the subject is a bit depressing and I did not want to bog the reader down with details or too much description. Does this effect the publishers and if they would pick up a book or not, it being short. I can make it longer and I have been doing some editing where I add and take away but a little more adding so it would not be too much of a problem to make it longer but as I said details with a serious subject tend to bog the reader when, I believe, they want to hear more of the human interest side of the story.

FL

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kate R

I would LOVE to read that. Autism is such a fascinating thing, and a friend/neighbor of mine is autistic. Is it like that book The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime or different? Good luck FL.

Post Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

That's a little short, Ferrit. How many words? Don't pad it, but if there's more story, then tell it. Don't just add prose, add story if you decide to expand. Have something happen.

Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Boota

I always get people asking me how long my book I'm working on will be when I'm done. I have no idea how to answer that. It will be as big as the story allows. FL, I think the most important thing is to tell the story you're telling. The book will be as big or as small as it needs to be. Selling it is a whole different problem, but I think you have to be true to the story first.

If it's too short you can always print in 24 poing font. That'll fill pages. Smile

Post Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lisa

150 pages is a little too short for you Ferrit. Did you use a chisel.

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
palmer

Too many variables, FL. I don't think an answer is possible.

If it's an utterly tasteless, first person comedy I'll pre-order, though. Laughing

*kidding*

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:04 am   View user's profile Send private message
Boota

palmer wrote:
Too many variables, FL. I don't think an answer is possible.

If it's an utterly tasteless, first person comedy I'll pre-order, though. Laughing

*kidding*

Hey, I resemble that remark! Smile

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 12:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
palmer

I can see that from your tag! Laughing

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

The word count is 35,000 or there about right now. I am at 102 pages and slowly counting. Life has been a bit unbearable lately with work and many other things that you do not want to hear about.

What I was concerned with was the nature of the story. Novels about disease and human interest are interesting to a point but they do get a bit much after a while. The great thing about the subject is that most people with autism are characters, trust me I know. I wanted or want this story to be humorous and thought provoking at the same time. I have had to cut down on bawdy humour so that it doesn’t cloud the seriousness of the issue but I also did not want to make it some drab piece of crap either that was so serious that it would leave the reader never wanting to pick up the book again. It was and is a fine line to cross. I did not want to make the story too long so that it would bore the reader or make them want to top themselves.

FL

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ginjg

No matter how tough the subject matter, a well paced story will hold the reader for 35 pages or 3500 pages.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ferrit Leggings

Ginjg wrote:
No matter how tough the subject matter, a well paced story will hold the reader for 35 pages or 3500 pages.

Thanks Ginjg. I think that is what I needed to hear. Although, I tried reading the Suma Theologica and was bored as hell, sorry for the pun.

FL

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
palmer

Have you ever read War and Peace? When I finally got around to readig it, I braced myself for what I thought might be the Everest of literature. After the first fifty pages, it's a breezy read and it stays that way right till the end. In a sense, size does not matter.

(postscript: I was really proud of myself for finishing it, and told my sister, also an English teacher, about it. She said, "Oh eah, I read that in grade eight." Bitch! Smile )

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Palmer,

I read the Reader's Digest Version of the Summa Theologica which was about 2000 pages. The non watered down version is 3,020 pages, War and Peace is about 1500 more or less. I do agree when you undertake a book like that and the sheer size of it makes it quite an accomplishment to get through. I suppose the Theologica is the litterary equivalent of Isaac Asimov's complete works, more of less.

FL

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Naked and Famous

Is this what you've been working on for awhile? It sounds interesting. Is it about a child or adult? Just wondering because I have worked with a few autistic and a few asbergers (don't think I spelled that right) and their personalities always stick with me.

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 5:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message
palmer

Ferrit Leggings wrote:
I read the Reader's Digest Version of the Summa Theologica which was about 2000 pages. The non watered down version is 3,020 pages, War and Peace is about 1500 more or less. I do agree when you undertake a book like that and the sheer size of it makes it quite an accomplishment to get through. I suppose the Theologica is the litterary equivalent of Isaac Asimov's complete works, more of less. FL

I believe that in the last year of his life, the author had a blazing illumination and said, "All that I hae written is as straw," an never wrote again.

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 6:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: