Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Oh do fuck off
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
deb

Oh do fuck off  Reply with quote  

I think your lack of sensitivity to the plight of the incredibly fucked up is a sad state of affairs, Chris. Perhaps you should re-think the way you handle these little pricks as they email.

Perhaps sending them a tape of Howard Stern or Andrew Dice Clay as consolation to show that you could have been much worse, like THESE assholes are. Or even give them Bill O'Reilly's phone number to see how the truly sick fucks of the world make their money.

Maybe a trip to Anna Nicole-land could be a "sorry I fucking swore in a book that EVERY OTHER READER BUT YOU, YOU LITTLE SHIT has enjoyed."

As punishment for their goddamn (sorry cyn) insolence for having questioned the way you write your own damn books, a gift box of STFU might be nice.

Sometimes, I like to help.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
deb

New blog entry, gracie.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chris
Site Admin

gracie wrote:
oh yeah, I saw it as soon as i clicked out of your post.

I have learned after 40ish years that i should just look thoughtful and say "I'll take that into consideration"

Once when I was doing the yearbook for my school, one funky little boy had his name spelled wrong. I think I put an e on the end of his name. His mother called up on the last day of school insisting that I collect all the year books and get them reprinted. I didn't bother to look thoughtful because I was making a silent but obscene gesture to her as i said "i'll take that into consideration"

(not the same thing i know, but remember even if you are just of average intelligence, that means half of the folks in the world are stupider than you are, and you met a couple who are in the bottom quartile.)

That's great advice. "I'll take that into consideration." I like it. Okay, I'm fine now.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
knikkki

dude, that was a hilarious rant!  Reply with quote  

I have written to you for years (only a couple times, I promise.) And never once have I complained. In fact, I have been terribly terribly impressed that you take time to reply. How many authors do that, I ask you?

You should send them both copies of the Big Lebowski. Just for fun.

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DanSRose

Or Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Or a copy of Chasing Amy.

Adventures!

Post Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
y

We like your writing style as well as tons of other people!! Don't let these few individuals rain on your parade. You just won a Quill award!!!! Please, do carry on.

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:47 am   View user's profile Send private message
gretchenfaith

Well, I personally happen to think that your characters only use words like "motherfucker" when it is appropriate for them to do so - i.e. like when any other normal human being, facing cannabalism, vampires, or a talking bat, might use them. Also, I think "douchewaffle" and "fucktard" are particularly expressive, in terms of fabulous swear words found in your books.

Some people suck.

You are awesome. Have some fucking pie.

GF

Well, maybe not "fucking pie" - I'm not sure what kind of pie that would be, and it might be gross. So, maybe go for a sour cherry or a buckleberry, or pecan is nice if you like that weird brown goo that it is generally in it....

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tal

I say for revenge you use "motherfucker" in place of such notable words as "the", "and", "or", "but", "George W. Bush", "teabag", and "can". Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jillybeans

I seem to remember ... Yes I do that.  Reply with quote  

I'm bad at foul language. At one time, I could swear with the best of them. However living with Dad (he could do it, I had to edit myself especially when the car would run and he had to fix it) cured me of it. I could use some instruction because after all I do live near Boston and that seems to be the only language some understand.

I do seem to remember however, you do put a disclaimer in SA and Lamb about there being some language that is fucking objectionable to little kids and Grandma. When my daughter came home after a day with HER dad she was three and asked my dad for something from the table calling him a "fucker". Imagine the Rolling Eyes Shocked from Mom and Dad. So before the open hand came up and cute little kid found out how pissed Dad could be, my strategic planning (really fast) "Dad, let me handle this." Me to cute little kid. "Honey, do you know what that word means?" Cute little kid (tears welling up in eyes) "sniff, sniff no!!!" (she started that so she wouldn't get yelled at or sent to her room. Hey I learned the hard way from them. A lot of the shit they pulled I couldn't understand what I'd done to get in so much trouble. For the record, people explain things. Kids are not bright in that arena. Me to little cute kid: "Don't use the word again and where did you hear that?" Cute little kid (who I know was trying to take the focus of herself, looking around as if to blame it on the dog): "DAD" Parthogenesis. We learn it from Dad when he's working on the car!!!

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
bigfreezer

Funny story, I'll give you the short version. My daughter is a gymnast and I use her class time to read. The gym is "closed" so parents have to do something for three hours. I think they should put a bar in the lobby, but that's another story. I get the question, "Whatcha reading?" quite a bit. That question came from behind me while I was reading Fluke a few months back. I told the gym mom briefly what the book was about and how much I enjoyed the AG's work. I've never seen her without her head buried in a mystery novel or the occasional Harlequin. I went back to reading and noticed that my book was opened to the chapter titled "Most Heinous Fuckery." That was obviouisly what made her ask me about the book. I'd have asked, too. A couple weeks later, I noticed her reading her own copy of Fluke. Maybe it was my glowing recommendation. Maybe she went home and found a review on Amazon.com. But I believe it was Most Heinous Fuckery that led her to Books A Million.

The AG's use of language just seems to fit naturally with his characters. Now if he wrote a novel about a 60-year-old virgin librarian that used the "f" word as an adjective before every noun, then maybe that would be offensive. But then again, it may just be funny as hell. Don't anyone steal my fucking idea!!!

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:03 am   View user's profile Send private message
PastorCyn

I'm actually more offended at the fact that most of these people probably use these so-called "bad" words (hmm, yes...words now have responsibility for being value-judged) in their own lives, but can't deal honestly with that fact. It's like people who are in the closet beating up on people who are out.

My favorite seminary professor called Jesus a son of a bitch regularly in class. I think he even used the word God-damned in one of his prayers. It was, thankfully, honest.

My sister and I learned "shit" from our grandmother.

My favorite was when I was walking down the hall at Duke and someone said, "Oh, fuck!" The person next to her asked if that was an imperative sentence and that they were willing if she was.

hee hee...sex in the Divinity School halls... Laughing

(Although I do believe he was kidding...I guess I make it sound like I went to a hedonistic kind of place, don't I? It really wasn't...)

Cyn"without colorful language, we'd all be in black and white"thia

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:20 am   View user's profile Send private message
Catch42

Shocked WHAT?!?! Mr. Moore uses "foul language" in his works?!?!
GASP! The AUDACITY!
*plugs fingers in his ears*
"LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA ....I'm not listening!"

Seriously though....PastorCyn makes a valid point. A lot of people that complain of others language use the same language themselves in day-to-day life. Now THAT'S AUDACITY, if you ask me! It's so easy for people to point fingers at others, but as they say: "Whenever you point a finger, there are 4 more pointing back at YOU!" Oh well, as you know AG, you can't please everybody 100% of the time....and to those that you don't: FUCK 'EM! They still bought your book, didn't they? HA!

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:51 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Lauren

AG, I think your reply to the next email of that sort should be "Oh, do fluffy bunny off."

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Dave

I believe the use of the word "Faerie" in the blog entry is derogatory to gay Canadians and should be removed.

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:43 am   View user's profile Send private message
deb

Hey! They need representation too!

Post Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: