Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

chris's 100th post
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
y

chris's 100th post  Reply with quote  

OMFG!! I love it!! What a way to mark your 100th post!!

Please Sir...can we have some Moore? Rolling Eyes

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Vonotar

Poor Tommy...if I couldn't enjoy burritos anymore, I'd cry. Ahh, the joys of bachelorhood.

The point of view changes were smooth, because both characters have very defined voices to me...distinct personalities, if you will. I didn't loose track of the conversation once.

And now I'm EXTREMELY anxious to read the new one, AG, thanks!

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thatgrrrrl

So loving it! I always wondered what happened after Jody turned Tommy. Talk about a great thing for an author... Tommy can beat out Anne Rice in Vampire novels now! WHOOHOO!

Becca

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Tubby Toledo Chic

Very Happy Wink Thanks Chris, for the splurb on Tommy and Jody. I am SOOOOOOOO ready for U Suck! Oh, yeah I love the word 'spooge'. Please use it as much as possible. Hugs, from the spooge head in T-Town.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message
RedOrcaMoon

Location: someplace...probably inside my head or in another world

wow... damn....that was good. Spooge... hmm never heard of it, but then again... its still sounds cool and yes thsats whats being a vampire does to you. it does suck yes. I am not one,but i know a few. they tell me what life is like and that they wouldnt be huamn anyways. cant blame them. oh well. i have some more stuff to work on.

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedOrcaMoon

Location: someplace...probably inside my head or in another world
Re: chris's 100th post  Reply with quote  

y wrote:
OMFG!! I love it!! What a way to mark your 100th post!!

Please Sir...can we have some Moore? Rolling Eyes
I loved that quote! or were you meaning somethign else ? Wink

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gretchenfaith as guest

Love LOVE LOVE it...

The only thing I'm not sure about is the "spooge". Cause in my college days, spooge was slang for, well...sperm. But, maybe it means vomit too...

But other than that - I LOVE IT. I want to read it NOW.

Carry on brilliant crazy man,
Gretchenfaith

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 8:39 pm   
Regina

lol I haven't heard spooge used that way in a looooong time but that's how I know the word as well.

I had no issues with the POV switches either- smooth like butter...

Rockin

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

Yet, again, you've managed to disappoint me, you spooge. Everytime I think I've written a killer bit of writing, I read something like this. Dammit!

I can sense the excitement of starting something new. May it last until beyond the end...well, for Tommy I guess it already has.

PS Ken, spooge is being picked up by the spellcheck, can you fix this?

Post Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lukaret

Location: ... Hell. No wait... make that GP, Texas, that's about the same thing.

Mmmm.... masticated burrito....

Facebook Me!

I have a Twitter too.

Slowly returning from the hell pit that is college. I hope. D:

Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
chris
Site Admin

gretchenfaith as guest wrote:
Love LOVE LOVE it...

The only thing I'm not sure about is the "spooge". Cause in my college days, spooge was slang for, well...sperm. But, maybe it means vomit too...

But other than that - I LOVE IT. I want to read it NOW.

Carry on brilliant crazy man,
Gretchenfaith

I am a professional author and can use words in any context that I want. So there. Yesterday, someone yelled at me for making up the word doofuscosity .
I said, "Did you know what I meant?"
She goes, "Well yeah."
I go, "Well then shut the fuck up. I'm a professional. Shakespeare invented 1800 words and you're not rolling up in his grill trying to justify your worthless English Lit degree, are you?"

(Actually I didn't say the second part -- the part beyond, "shut the fuck up". I would have, but it didn't appear to be necessary.)

I could have said, Burrito spoor, and you might have said, "Hey, the context for that is generally that of animal waste."
And I would have said, "Did you know what I was talking about?"

Face it, spooge is just a funny word. And if we confine its use to sperm references, you get to use it, what, maybe ten, twelve times a day? But if you use it as a general term for sticky-gooey gelatinous stuff, well, you can have it orbiting your world constantly.

Take this passage from A Dirty Job:

Charlie felt as if he should shout the name of some arcane stuff back at him: Well, symethicone! Symethicone! Symethicone, you buttnugget!. Instead he said, “The stuff fake breasts are made of? She ate that?” The image of a well-dressed older woman macking on a goopish spoonful of artificial boob-spooge was running across the lobes of his brain like a stuttering nightmare.

Again, spoogishness defined as goopy -- I also believe that this may be the first use of the adjective "goopish" -- but just rejoice in the assonance of the phrase "a goopish spoonful of artificial boob-spooge". You almost have to shudder after you read that, huh?

So, you know, expand your horizons, think outside of the box, throw the spooge against the wall and see what sticks. As Mencken pointed out, the American language is organic -- words mean what we take them to mean, and we writers fling the fertilizer that makes the language grow. Smile

Carry on.

Last edited by chris on Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:54 am; edited 2 times in total

Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

And not only that -- the low down on smeg  Reply with quote  

And furthermore, let me cite an example of a word that was used so much, in such a bizarre context, that it simply changed it's meaning.

I am, of course, talking about smegma.

Officially, smegma is a waxy substance that forms under the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis. Sometimes called, dick cheese, as in "I can't believe you slept with him, Melanie, you dick-cheese eating whore!" (An old roommate actually screamed this at his girlfriend in my presence and it's gone unused all these years until now.) Personally, I could have gone my whole life not knowing about smegma, but like the knowledge of the main export of Chile (nitrates), it is a useless piece of knowledge that clouds my tiny mind.

If any of you have seen the BBC show Red Dwarf, you'll hear the characters refer to each other as smeg heads. Now, one doesn't really want to try on a visual there, does one? You did it, didn't you. Not my fault.

Yet the main characters used that phrase perhaps ten times a show. Do you really think that the BBC wanted to put that picture in your mind each time? No. They had moved on. The word had come to mean, not a person whose head is constructed of a waxy substance found under the foreskin of an uncircumcised penis, but a simpleton, a dolt, a git, a dim bulb.

So, while you may quite literally spooge and smeg yourself apoplectic, it's as limiting to you as the person who always sees the word fuck as a sex act, when it has added a long list of definitions to its resume over the centuries. Is there really a more stupid reply to "Fuck you," than "You'd like to" or something of that nature. (Granting, of course, that fuck you isn't the most original invective one might invoke.)

I'm just saying, stay flexible -- remember, comedy is messy. Burrito spooge, doubly so.

Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:48 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
y

Ya know, I didn't even notice the use of the word 'spooge' until I read this post so I had to go back and read Chris' post again. I thought it was appropriately used. Not that I'm implying I'm a person of importance who can make such decisions...I'm just say, AG, you have my permission to spooge away. Uh...wait, I meant to use spooge as much as you want...no...that ain't right...I meant to use as much spooge as you want...um...I mean....I....I.....

*runs away*

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:34 am   View user's profile Send private message
JennyO

Cool. Chris, you do excellent dialogue. Didn't notice the POV shifts, so they must've been pretty smooth.

And as long as they're as funny, use as many neologisms as you want. I think spooge qualifies. Smile

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lib

Thanks, Chris! Congrats on your 100th...may you have many more. Wink

Post Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: