Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Newb

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
BugsForLease

Newb  Reply with quote  

Hi, i'm new here, and well everywhere for that matter. I'm a freshman, and a wanna-be writer, which when coupled together seems somewhat pathetic, and i have two problems. One, i ramble. I really try not to, when i edit, i take out as much as i can, but everything seems to just glub together in this sticky honey kinda way. A lot like that last sentence. And secondly, all my prof's preach that we shouldn't submit any work to be judged in a contest or any other kind of 'win or lose' environment, until we can pass sophomore year with reasonable grades. But, if the only people looking at my work are the same sad, tired, under-paid, over-worked prof's, then i'm not going to get any true feedback. All i'm going to get is mechanic's corrected, and grammatical errors flushed. Ah! But i love my grammatical errors! I even love my spelling errors! So, what i really want to know is, where do you people go to get your work picked at? I mean,i could post something here, but i would be a little weary, because...i worship at the temple of Moore, and i would be mortified that i would be mocked...or something. Boo, this is hard! What do i do? (I have a sinking feeling that the answers going to be obvious.)
When they are tired of being dried.

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Vahlee

So yeah, screw your professors.

Unfortunely, mechanics are somewhat important, but it isn't the be all end all. However, that's what professors seem to focus on, at least in the early years. Keep on writing and I say enter whatever you want to. But be prepared for rejection. Try to keep out for those contest/whatever that will actually comment on your writing.
I'm still somewhat new to this too, I'm sure some of the others will have a lot better suggestions.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Try to find a writer's group in your area where you can air your work. The level of skill varies from group to group, but if you can find one that is focused on getting published, then you should get some good feedback. Often the problem with college (undergrad) writing programs is they focus on literary fiction, and as hard as it is to make it as a writer, making it as a writer of literary fiction is even harder. Essentially, you'll learn how to teach college. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's the likely end for most people who aspire to write literary fiction. (I always assume you guys are talking about writing fiction when you talk about writing. I know nothing about non-fiction writing, so ignore me if that's your aspiration.)

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
palmer

Try a peek at everyauthor.com and click on The Untited Forum, which is moderated by a board member from here -- not me -- and a few other good folks.

And keep writing!

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 5:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Regina

When you do find a writer's group, its also good to let folks know what kind of feedback you are looking for when you submit. Definitely expect the usual picks about grammar and spelling, but if you'd like to focus more on content and flow as you are getting that elsewhere, make sure to state it. Smile

To echo everyone else, good luck and keep writing!

Post Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message
y

Yeah! What they said!

(oh and welcome by the way...)

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:27 am   View user's profile Send private message
earthshoes

A good place to start:

http://www.everyauthor.com/forum/index.php

[/url]

Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DanSRose

Everyone learns something new today, like about this website for me for instance.

Adventures!

Post Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: