Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Help me pick a song

What song should I learn?
Porcelain - Better Than Ezra
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Why Worry - Dire Straits
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Shooting Star - Bad Company
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
I have a better idea...
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lauren

Help me pick a song  Reply with quote  

So, my guitar teacher has told me I can bring in a song next week to learn. Apparently I have enough of the basics down to stumble through something of my own choosing (that in no way means it will sound good, but that's what practice is for, eh?)

So, I've narrowed it down a little, but I'm also open to suggestions. I think I'll just be doing basic chords to start, nothing fancy, so I realize "Why Worry" is a stretch (I listened to the intro to Sting's "Fragile" and realized that's a while off for me...). My fate is in the board's hands...

Post Mon May 31, 2004 12:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
John

Of those songs I really like Why Worry. It is a really pretty song.

Post Mon May 31, 2004 2:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Try a Bob Dylan song, most of teh early stuff can be played with three or four open chords. (Bar chords kicked my ass when I was trying to learn.)

I think Blackbird by the Beatles is pretty easy, too.

I kept trying to learn Nirvana songs, which all had bar chords. Bastard! Serves him right.

Post Mon May 31, 2004 4:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
i8tokyo

My First  Reply with quote  

My first "song" (not including Stairway to Heaven) was "Fire and Rain" by James Taylor. It didn't take to long to learn and I can still play it after thirty-years without really trying.

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Mon May 31, 2004 4:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Robb

A few songs I learned as a beginer,

Southern Cross by CSN the chords are A G D with a few small variations
Blue on Black by Kenny Wayne Shepard- DCG with an Am in the chorus
the Cross by Prince E&A with a nifty little fingering thats easy and good to start with.
Anything by Jimmy Buffet this for some strange reason will make you a hit at parties where every one seems to want to hear Margeritaville.

For more choices go to www.harmonycentral.com click on tablature. Look under links or goto the letter of your favorite artist. the only complaint I have is that they started taking the words out of their tabs whereas the other sites don't. Having the words does make it easier. If you are really desparate wait around and I'll send a chord sheet with the CD and you can learn a few of mine. My stuff is easy as all get out. the barre chord is something to practice in private till you get it right and have plenty of alcohol handy to keep from smashing the guitar. Once you get them down though they can make things go a bit quicker and you can do a few more effects. That song I posted for example starts with barre's in the verse and goes to the open chords on the chorus. The chords are basically the same thing but the barres sound "tinnier" I dunno if that's a word but try the effect and you'll see what I mean. Then the chorus sounds alot fuller. To practice fingering find a song and just go with a piece of it and keep at it. I use Carry on Wayword Son by Kansas. That opening is fun and gets the fingers limbered up. Have Fun!

"Keep in mind that you don't work a guitar, you play it." Les Paul

Post Mon May 31, 2004 7:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lauren

John, it's a beautiful song. The only thing that worries me is that the version I have seems to have two guitar parts. I'm going to hunt around for a simpler one (I know other bands have played it, but the Dire Straits version blows them all away.)

Chris - my teacher started me off with Knockin' On Heaven's Door. And I probably shouldn't have listed so many 90s bands as ones I listen to - he's already stuck two Nirvana songs into my practice - Polly (to kick off my learning closed chords) and the intro bit to Come As You Are (to teach me how to read tablature). Can't get the frickin' intro out of my head. Or, when I do, it's replaced with the other one he gave me - Blink 182's Dammit. Sigh. I also have Let it Be in there. Can't play an F chord to save my life.

I8 - Ooooh, James Taylor. Forgot about him. I like Sweet Baby James...

Robb - a chord sheet would be very cool, if you have time. He hasn't thrown barre chords at me yet, but he mentioned them in passing on Saturday. They must be on the horizon. I'll stock up on beer. And you're right about the Buffett. My senior year in high school, I went on a retreat (aah, Catholic schooling). One of the teachers' husbands came along and brought his guitar for a singalong. We got through Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise, and then, without thinking, he launched into "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw". I thought the priest was going to have a heart attack, especially when we all started singing.

Post Mon May 31, 2004 8:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
chris
Site Admin

[quote="Robb"]A few songs I learned as a beginer,

Southern Cross by CSN ]

Robb:

I was at Graham Nash's house last month and heard some of the new songs he and Crosby were mixing down for the new album. When I hear their stuff on the radio, then I run into Graham socially it's very, very hard to relate. I keep wanting to say, "So, Dude, you're like an icon and stuff. How is that?"

Graham is very cool though. He still blushes when I refer to him as a rock star. It goes like this:

"Chris, would you like something to drink?"
"Why yes, Graham, you know I always love to have beverages served by a rock star."
Then he blushes.

Post Mon May 31, 2004 9:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dave S.

song...  Reply with quote  

I agree with Chris on learning a Dylan song. Usually easy open chords. Plus Dylan is such an influence on so many artists. After learning a Dylan tune, I'd move on to a Beatles tune or two, then just follow your own path from there.

Try "Tangled Up in Blue" or "All Along The Watchtower" for starters.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

House of the Rising Sun is a good one for practicing simple chord changes and picking. I think the first song I ever learned was either Iron Man or Sweet Leaf from Black Sabbath. I'm not sure, though. It's been a while. Smoke on the Water was in there somewhere, too.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Free association  Reply with quote  

Smoke on the Water brings high-waisted bell-bottom jeans and platform shoes to mind. I can't hear that song without revisiting my misspent 20s in Baltimore.

Post Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sfoste2

Re: Help me pick a song  Reply with quote  

Lauren wrote:
So, my guitar teacher has told me I can bring in a song next week to learn. Apparently I have enough of the basics down to stumble through something of my own choosing (that in no way means it will sound good, but that's what practice is for, eh?)

Good starter song? How about People Are Strange by The Doors. Simple enough, sounds decent, and can be learned in a week, and has enough things thrown in to show that you know a few things Smile

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:37 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Q

I think  Reply with quote  

You could always start with "Moonshadow" by Cat Stevens. Within about four months you'll be a pariah and excluded from any social gathering...which will free you up to learn some really great stuff.

Easy to learn, cool to play: "All Apologies" by Nirvana. "Lightening Crashs" by Live, "Hey Joe" by Henderix.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:15 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ken
Site Admin

Maybe some Prine  Reply with quote  

Idea Most John Prine songs have fairly simple guitar parts, and for the most part they don't annoy anybody...

maybe "Talk Dirty In Hawaaian"...

get one of his live albums, they tend to have simpler, unaccompanied guitar parts. Somehow I think the slack-key guitar version of "Hawaiian" on the studio version might be too hard for you.

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:12 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
i8tokyo

Put a cocoanut on my tiki...  Reply with quote  

Let's talk dirty in Hawaiian is without a doubt one of my top ten favorite songs. It's not that well known, but if you get a chance, give it a listen.

-"Some people are like slinkies--they are good for nothing, but can still bring a smile to your face by throwing them down a flight of stairs."

Post Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:49 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lauren

lesson day  Reply with quote  

Having stayed up very late watching the midnight showing of Harry Potter, I failed to get up early and burn a CD with a bunch of these suggestions. My plan was to hand it to my instructor and say "here are a bunch of songs I'd like to learn. You know how I'm doing so far, so tell me which is the best to start with." Instead, I ignored the alarm clock so long I didn't even get to have a cup of coffee before running out the door. So, I stumbled out into the blinding sunlight with just two CDs.

I handed both of them to Bobby, and said "I've narrowed it down to 'Porcelain' or 'Why Worry'". He opened the CD player, stuck in Better Than Ezra, and...sort of...grinned. The cool thing is, they have their guitars tuned down a half fret for Porcelain, so I got to learn all about different kinds of tuning. The killer is, (and Robb, you're gonna laugh), after the intro, the second chord of the song is one of those damned barre chords. Bobby said "well, you're going to learn these sooner or later. Let's start working them in now."

I told him that the suggestion was made to stock up on alcohol while learning those, and he agreed.

So, yeah. Porcelain it is, folks. Although I'll be getting my hands on some John Prine and the tabs or chords for a good chunk of the suggestions you guys have made. He's told me I should play around on Harmony Central and tabcrawler.com and just find some songs to practice switching my fingers and reading the music.

Post Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: