Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

A Publishing Question for the Author Guy

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
philipw

A Publishing Question for the Author Guy  Reply with quote  

I'm new to this board and already posted this in the Comments section before figuring this might be a better place for it. Plus I heard somewhere that persistence pays off, or was it that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I don't know. If you've answered these questions too many times already, just ignore me.

Author Guy,

I have read in an interview or two how you feel about luck and publishing, but I want some specifics. How long did it take you to find an agent after you finished your first novel? How long did it take you and your agent to sell the thing and get it published? Did you get an advance? If so, how much was it, and did you have to sign on for another book or two? How many books did you publish before you could "quit your day job"?

Sorry if you've answered these questions already. I'm just about to do a final edit on my first manuscript and start looking for agents. I'm anxious, curious, hopeful, excited, and sick as hell about it all at the same time. If you get some time, I'd appreciate your answers and any other advice you could offer.

Thanks,

Philip

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Re: A Publishing Question for the Author Guy  Reply with quote  

philipw wrote:
I'm new to this board and already posted this in the Comments section before figuring this might be a better place for it. Plus I heard somewhere that persistence pays off, or was it that the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I don't know. If you've answered these questions too many times already, just ignore me.

Author Guy,

I have read in an interview or two how you feel about luck and publishing, but I want some specifics. How long did it take you to find an agent after you finished your first novel? How long did it take you and your agent to sell the thing and get it published? Did you get an advance? If so, how much was it, and did you have to sign on for another book or two? How many books did you publish before you could "quit your day job"?

Sorry if you've answered these questions already. I'm just about to do a final edit on my first manuscript and start looking for agents. I'm anxious, curious, hopeful, excited, and sick as hell about it all at the same time. If you get some time, I'd appreciate your answers and any other advice you could offer.

Thanks,

Philip

It took me nine months to find an agent, and eleven months before the book sold. It was another 14 months or so before the book came out. It sold to the movies first, for $400K. The American advance was $25K and the British advance was about $125K. I made another $100K or so in other Foreign countries on that book. I quit my day job about a week after I got the call from my agent about the movie deal. It was for Practical Demonkeeping, my first book. It was a single book contract. I changed publishers for my next book when St. Martin's didn't come up with enough money. This all happened in 1991, I think.

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
philipw

Thanks!  Reply with quote  

Thanks so much for your swift reply! From what I can tell by reading around your site, it was Disney who bought the movie rights to Demonkeeping, and still no film after over ten years?!

Do they still have that option? And has there been any recent talk of exercising it?

Thanks again for the quick answers!

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Re: Thanks!  Reply with quote  

philipw wrote:
Thanks so much for your swift reply! From what I can tell by reading around your site, it was Disney who bought the movie rights to Demonkeeping, and still no film after over ten years?!

Do they still have that option? And has there been any recent talk of exercising it?

Thanks again for the quick answers!

They bought it outright, not an option. Which means they own it forever. Last I heard they had sold it to Sony. No word on a movie or any progress on one.

Post Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: