Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Go Go Google.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

Go Go Google.  Reply with quote  

I for one, friggen' love Gooogle. Index away, I tell you!
Nothing could make me dislike them ... well, except for the Bush thing.

Chris, that's classic ... you should publish that somewhere ... Wink

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jaandlu

Wait, was it just suppose to end mid thought there, Chris? I mean you said, "What if they were able to silence critics, simply by engineering filtering software that" and, oh I get it. Jeeze, I am such a dork. I can't believe I missed that. Oh never mind. Nothing to see here. Please move along. I didn't say a thing. This post does not exist. Damn. I need filtering software that keeps me from looking like an idiot.

Post Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
y

I did it too and I came across this:

Quote:
I really need to see more of this book. What can I do?

Google Book Search helps you discover books, not read them online. To read the whole book, we encourage you to use a "Buy this book" link to purchase it or the "Find this in a library" link to look for a local library that has it.

Where do these books come from?

Right now, most of our books are provided by publishers and authors through the Google Books Partner Program - an online book marketing program designed to help publishers and authors promote their books. Publishers and authors send us their books and we digitally scan them and add their content to our search results all for free.

We also have partnerships with several libraries as a part of the Library Project, to include the collections of a few libraries in Google Book Search and, like a card catalog, show you information about the book plus a few snippets a few sentences of your search term in context. Over time your Google Book Search results should start showing you more and more books from these collections as well. Learn more about the Library Project

I guess it's like Amazon. You can 'preview' the first few pages of some books before you buy them.

Now, all I need to do is find a dealer that'll let me order one of those Hummer's for my hubby....

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:40 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lauren

Publishers and authors are freaking out over the Google text thing (I know Google makes it sound all shiny and happy, but it's actually pretty controversial). It's a complicated argument that basically boils down to exactly what CM said - if people can just search for it on Google rather than buying the book, how do authors/publishers get paid?

I'll try to find some links to articles that aren't subscription based after my coffee kicks in, but most of what I've read has been part of Publisher's Weekly and Publisher's Lunch, which require registration (and fees). Gimme some time.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Dave S.

Ironically, if you use Google News and type in 'Google Book Search' you get a bunch of articles including this one about the controversy.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jillybeans

Okay so I'm a little confused here, which is usually often. Don't some of your books come in cd form for listening? Could someone put this on their computer and share it with, say someone else by way of e-mail. Aren't the same rules of downloading music for free the same for downloading books for free. As an author, do you think some other authors concerned about this too. I always ask if I can use the quote but many people aren't that honest. They think they're entitled, which is bullshit. I would think you would have legal recourse over this.

Wade Davis (I knew there was a reason I liked Wade Davis)

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

It doesn't have to be a monster truck, and it doesn't have to be black.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dave

Goudron wrote:
It doesn't have to be a monster truck, and it doesn't have to be black.

Amen.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:19 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

Google is just another name for Big Brother

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lenore

I think the New York Times just ran an article about how the publishing industry is horrified with Google and it's text feature. Like napster it's about getting something for nothing. I don't see a problem with posting excerpts...a paragraph but a chapter is too much and a whole book amounts to stealing. I happen to like the feel of a book in my hands but I've spent plenty of time reading online to know how books online will be exploited.

I happen to love goggle but there's been a lot of talk about how they are allowing the government access to personal info the government has no right to under the constitution and the right to privacy. I won't use their g-mail because of their habit of giving information.

I think their popularity has gone to their heads and they need some feedback about all of this.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Klari

Good grief!!

So, one little voice in my head says,"Don't get on the board, go do something productive, you'll feel better."

The other says,"You need to reach out to the boardellos or you're going to get all reclusive and you're been ignoring them and losing touch with your peeps."

Well, dumb thing to do, I read CM's blog first and now I'm trying not to lose myself in an Orwellian existential type crisis. God, this place is so good for my mental health!!!!

Now, where did my copies of 1984, The Handmaid's Tale and Oryx & Crake go? Guess I'll just go Google 'em.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

I personally hate to read on the computer ... I can't see this ruining the book industry, but I suppose I could be in the minority. I usually am.
But who wants to curl up with a good laptop?

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kamala

I think it's like ANY technology, the phone, e-mail, snail mail, whatever... you have to ASSUME it's not private and it's not confidential. I'm always amused at idiots who get busted for shipping weed via UPS or something. Technology is your friend, it's just a friend who talks loudly and gossips often. If you really crave privacy...well that's what locks on bathroom doors are for.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lukaret

Location: ... Hell. No wait... make that GP, Texas, that's about the same thing.

Ginjg wrote:
Google is just another name for Big Brother
Oh poo. I hate big brother. No more hate week. T_T

Facebook Me!

I have a Twitter too.

Slowly returning from the hell pit that is college. I hope. D:

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FattyFattyPorkFace

I admire what Google have achieved and I admire what they are attempting to achieve. However, it is much the same as those who split the atom; too busy thinking about if it could be done to wonder what the consequences might be.

Creating something like this is a wonderful thing. In the information age, all we want is the right information at the right time. Google is trying to provide us with this, but in the process they are not considering whether we should have access to that information. It's a difficult tight-rope to walk (not that there are any easy tight-ropes), I just hope that benefits everyone.

I will say that there has always been ways of getting books for free (many libraries have photocopiers and there was once when I would photocopy ten pages a day and go home to read them - now I have realised the error of my ways), but this one will make things very very easy. One of the best forms of defence has always been attack and I think the only way that the writing community can combat this is to come up with an effective alternative. If it is done right, people will respond positively.

Post Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: