Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Old Books

Coyote Blue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
gretchenfaith

Coyote Blue  Reply with quote  

I have tried three times to start reading Coyote Blue, and, for the third time I have found myself putting it down.

I don't understand this. I love the AG. I have devoured every other book and I have his next one pre-ordered from Amazon. Every other book I have attacked at every free moment, carried around with me in my briefcase, stayed up too late to finish, read portions outloud to my husband/brother/girlfriends/my favorite baliff at the courthouse...

Why can't I get past the first chapter? I WANT TO LOVE THIS BOOK.

Somebody tell me how awesome it turns out so that I get over this hump!

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gretchenfaith

I suppose it's entirely possible that this is a "it's not the book, it's me" thing...maybe I should put the book away and pack it in my "going to Jamaica in March" bag, where I can read it with the distractions of my life/career/child/in-laws who I currently want to strangle with some festive holly and ivy...

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Vahlee

The first couple of chapters were difficult for me to get through also, but once got past those, I finished it pretty quickly.

Could it be that you're not well versed in Indian mythology? (Like me) I have a feeling that's why I didn't really get through the first few chapters, but it ets better. I swear Cool

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

I've heard that from a couple of women. It was the obsession with the girl that undid them, they said. The other thing is it's a redemption story, so Sam is a bit of a dick in the beginning of the book. I've written here about this being a problem with both Coyote Blue and Love Nun. You have to be ever so careful in a redemption story that the character is likable before the redemption. That may not be the case with Sam.

Bottom line, there won't be a test. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. Read something you enjoy.

Coyote Blue is the only one of my books other than Lamb that they teach in colleges because it has symbolism and stuff in it. Maybe that's the problem. Symbolism and stuff and weigh you down.

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JennyO

chris wrote:
Coyote Blue is the only one of my books other than Lamb that they teach in colleges because it has symbolism and stuff in it. Maybe that's the problem. Symbolism and stuff and weigh you down.

Those are my two favorites. I have no idea if it has to do with the symbolism or just because they're good stories.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lisa

It's not you gretchen. It's the book.

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
ken
Site Admin

wait wait...

could you watch Jerry McGuire?

just curious... my wife couldn't last through the first 1/2 hour, she was too pissed off at the Tom Cruise character.

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
gretchenfaith

No, I have never been able to sit through Jerry McGuire, for the same reason that Tom Cruise's character made me want to beat him with a stick. So, you might be on to something there, Ken. Smile

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jenbug

Tom Cruise in general makes me want to beat him with a stick...

Even before he went all crazy.

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

Jenbug wrote:
Tom Cruise in general makes me want to beat him with a stick...

Even before he went all crazy.

Anything except Legend...Ditto.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

Coyote Blue is one of my favorites, actually. Sure, Sam is a dick, but it's obvious that it's a story about his redemption. It's hard to redeem a saint.

Post Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kianu

I read Coyote Blue a lifetime ago. At that time, I had written a Special Major in American Indian Lifestyles and Culture at San Francisco State University and was traveling around the Bay Area with an American Indian Intertribal Pow Wow Drum group called the Blue Horse Singers. The leader of the group was a man named Dr. Bernard Hoehner, DVM. He was about 67 when we started the group. He grew up on the Wahpala Reservation in South Dakota and would spin yarns for days about reservation life, urban vs. rural indians, indian in the Marines, indian at SFSU, indian at pow wows back then and now, indian psychology, indian education, indian humor, mythology, history, science, religion, spirituality... Any way, I found Coyote Blue to be the quintessential reservation teen indian gone urban, assimilated indian who just could not shrug off his origin. I loved every page of it. My husband, who grew up in the Mission District of San Francisco and spent all of his spare time at the Indian Center also grooved on the book. My brother-in-law, who is very critical and an officionado on everything, just finished Coyote Blue (yes, I pushed the book on him) and said he liked it so much, that if I were to give him another CM book, he would read it too.
But my point here is that I would agree that having a point of reference, some knowledge of "Indian Culture" is important in order to appreciate all of the nuances of the jokes, situations and choices that Sam makes. It's funny, but there is a common thread among American Indians that just is, that no matter where you grew up, with whom you were raised by, you are subject to the old ways perpetually sparking up around you, whether you realize it or not. You can take the Indian from the reservation, but you can't take the spirit from the blood.

Post Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
UnimportantLime

For a while, I kind of had the same problem, where I didn't want to read it. (I haven't read all of AG's books. Yet. Working on it) I kept getting distracted by my own personal thoughts, and I'm not sure why. It could be because it's been a bad few weeks. But I think it's more the fact that it seems really human, to me. I dunno.

Post Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
chellz8888

Sam's Dickness  Reply with quote  

I've just finished Coyote Blue, and I can't remember when I last , flat out enjoyed, a book so much. It was my first CM book and managed to be the perfect combination of a lot of things I really like.

For what it's worth, I think Sam had to be the middle-class-minded-tightass he was at the beginning. If he'd been more palatable early in the novel I think the story would have come too close to promoting the windian noble sage sterotype that, as the pagan daughter of a desperately newage mother, makes me gag. Besides, I started feeling sorry for the guy as soon as Coyote promised to bring him balance. Wink

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:04 pm   
kennyjb

Congratulations on your first CM book, Chellz8888, and welcome to the Boardello! Coyote Blue is definitely one of my favorite books. I hope you become inspired to purchase the others and read them too, because they are ALL among my favorite books. Very Happy

ENJOY!!

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: