Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

the history of misprints

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Adeamus

the history of misprints  Reply with quote  

I recently read Demonkeeping and Love Nun...

in both books i came across 1 editing error...

it brought up some questions:

how big is a print? so how many books will have an error before it is corrected?

where does the ball get dropped in such cases? i know every writer has an editor, but are other people in a position to botch words at any stage of the process?

is it something that tends to drive an author a little crazy? (particularly you Author guy)

it certainly did not make me enjoy these books any less...and i saw a mistake in one of the other books i recently have read (either the new vonnegut -man without country....or in tom robbins -wild ducks flying)...so it seems to happen quite a bit...

i don't remember the error in demon (i will have to reread) but in love nun paperback in chapter 44 "-and it was two sizes TWO big,"

"As Willie Sutton the bank robber said when asked why he robbed banks, 'because that's where the money is'."

Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:08 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

There are tens of thousands of those books in print with the errors. Probably in about five languages.

It happens. It happens, it seems, more with my books than with others. I think because I am a shitty proofreader. My mind sees correctioins that aren't there. I know what I meant to say, so when I read it, that's what I see.

People who frequent this board will tell you, that I can have so many mistakes as to be incoherrent. Part of the reason here is that the type is so small on my screen that often I don't see the error, but a lot of it is that I just assume what I was thinking is what I typed, and that's not always the case.

With books, often, small grammatical errors, or homonym errors (to,too,two) can be inserted by the typist, although I think in the last couple of years they've started to actually use my digital files without retyping. Still, mistakes get corrected and mistakes get put in, all along the process. Sometmes you change something in copy-edit, but the copy editor ignores you. This can be problematic if you're writing about things that are specific to a body of knowledge.

For example, the Mulligan/McGuffin thing. Another was recently when I got the copy-edited manuscript back, all the references to a police inspector had been marked and a change to detective suggested. With a note that inspectors are English, detectives American. Yeah, except in San Francisco, where inspector is a rank of detective. It happens like that a lot. And sometimes, in the dialog, things get messed up. Inconsistencies happen. Overall, my editors fix far more than they screw up, and ultimately, mistakes that end up in the final book are my responsibility.

Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 2:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Adeamus

thanks for the info...

i can't persecute you for mistakes, i still have not embraced capital letters and don't know english so good.

"As Willie Sutton the bank robber said when asked why he robbed banks, 'because that's where the money is'."

Post Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: