Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?


bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Do you listen to music while you write?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Oliverbritten



Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 119
Do you listen to music while you write?  Reply with quote  

I tried a few tines, but I just get distracted.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42



Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 13570
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy near you
 Reply with quote  

You can always try instrumentals, especially surf music-
that always gives me a sense of urgency... Wink

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten



Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 119
 Reply with quote  

zendao42 wrote:
You can always try instrumentals, especially surf music-
that always gives me a sense of urgency... Wink

I tried some ambient music and post rock like Godspeed you black emperor and Explosions in the sky, but that just ended up making me a bit too relaxed and I fell asleep on the keyboard.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
Watching The Wheels



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Posts: 3412
Location: DC
 Reply with quote  

I *need* to have some background noise -- not just music -- when I work/write. I like being able to shift focus between what I'm working on and outside noise as a mental break. Last few years of college I worked at a bowling alley. I used to do HW there as opposed to the library. The silence of the library drove me crazy. YMMV


If you're looking for non-drowsy ambient music, you might want to check out Brian Eno. "Another Green World" in particular.
_________________
Homeless people need more seasoning, use bath salts.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
lisa



Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 6789
 Reply with quote  

I listen to music while I read. That's good. Isn't it?
_________________
Your religion, you miserable man, begins in your stomach and ends in a lavatory - Nodar Dumbadze

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
urhangovergirl



Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 705
Location: center of the purple haze
 Reply with quote  

In the sixth grade, my teacher had us do some experiments for our study skills. She gave us a test twice. Once was while she played music, and the other was while it was silent.

I did better when I had music. Some people don't. Don't force it on yourself. The key is to find what DOES help, not to try to make something that doesn't work, work.

I'm with ya WTW. I need noise! A cafe, headphones, SOMETHING! It helps me focus. Distracts another part of my brain, otherwise I get lost in my own tangential thoughts.
_________________
I will gladly ravage you Tuesday for a ravaging today...

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 am   View user's profile Send private message
Poofiemus



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 91
Location: Education Camp--I mean, college.
 Reply with quote  

I always have music when I write. In fact, I always make specific playlists for each story, especially during NaNo, because it helps keep my tone consistent and gets me in the mood to write that particular story.

By the way, one of my roommates absolutely LOVES Godspeed You Black Emperor. There aren't many people who even know that band exists, much less listen to them.
_________________

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 3833
Location: People Republic of Northern California
 Reply with quote  

I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten



Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 119
 Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.


If I listen to music with lyrics when I write I tend to try and listen to the lyrics. I once got so absorbed in a pink floyd song I ended up typing the lyrics to the song as I was typing the story. Sounds weird, but its true.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa



Joined: 10 Apr 2004
Posts: 6789
 Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.


Have you ever tried Indian flute, sitar, sarang, or veena?
_________________
Your religion, you miserable man, begins in your stomach and ends in a lavatory - Nodar Dumbadze

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Oliverbritten



Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 119
 Reply with quote  

The one kind of music I find relaxing to listen to when I write is the band Air, anyone else listen to them? their laid back and relaxing songs really help sometimes.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Mar 2004
Posts: 3833
Location: People Republic of Northern California
 Reply with quote  

lisa wrote:
chris wrote:
I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.


Have you ever tried Indian flute, sitar, sarang, or veena?



Sitar music makes me want to take my own life. So, you know, that reincarnation thing would come in handy. But yes, I've tried it. I don't know what a sarang or a veena is, but I'll put them on my list of things to search for on Itunes.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sephonae



Joined: 10 Jun 2007
Posts: 5218
Location: New York
 Reply with quote  

I totally rock out as I write. Sometimes even make mix CDs to capture certain moods. I made one for a project I recently started and just hearing the opening bass-line on the first tune is like flicking a switch in my mind that gets the ideas flowing. Classic conditioning.
_________________
<=== Dressing in dismal chic and maintaining her detached aura of aristocratic chill since 1985.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
"You can't wipe your ass with empty promises." - thread title, by walk

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten



Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 119
 Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
lisa wrote:
chris wrote:
I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.


Have you ever tried Indian flute, sitar, sarang, or veena?



Sitar music makes me want to take my own life. So, you know, that reincarnation thing would come in handy. But yes, I've tried it. I don't know what a sarang or a veena is, but I'll put them on my list of things to search for on Itunes.


What about bagpipes, Accordion, or washboard music? You know, the real music.

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42



Joined: 05 Sep 2006
Posts: 13570
Location: Somewhere in a galaxy near you
 Reply with quote  

Oliverbritten wrote:
chris wrote:
lisa wrote:
chris wrote:

I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.


Have you ever tried Indian flute, sitar, sarang, or veena?



Sitar music makes me want to take my own life. So, you know, that reincarnation thing would come in handy. But yes, I've tried it. I don't know what a sarang or a veena is, but I'll put them on my list of things to search for on Itunes.


What about bagpipes, Accordion, or washboard music? You know, the real music.


How about banjos, mandolins & fiddles? Twisted Evil

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
  Display posts from previous:      
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 
Templates created by Vereor and Ken