Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Do you listen to music while you write?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Oliverbritten

Do you listen to music while you write?  Reply with quote  

I tried a few tines, but I just get distracted.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:29 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

You can always try instrumentals, especially surf music-
that always gives me a sense of urgency... Wink

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten

zendao42 wrote:
You can always try instrumentals, especially surf music-
that always gives me a sense of urgency... Wink

I tried some ambient music and post rock like Godspeed you black emperor and Explosions in the sky, but that just ended up making me a bit too relaxed and I fell asleep on the keyboard.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
Watching The Wheels

I *need* to have some background noise -- not just music -- when I work/write. I like being able to shift focus between what I'm working on and outside noise as a mental break. Last few years of college I worked at a bowling alley. I used to do HW there as opposed to the library. The silence of the library drove me crazy. YMMV

If you're looking for non-drowsy ambient music, you might want to check out Brian Eno. "Another Green World" in particular.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
lisa

I listen to music while I read. That's good. Isn't it?

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
urhangovergirl

In the sixth grade, my teacher had us do some experiments for our study skills. She gave us a test twice. Once was while she played music, and the other was while it was silent.

I did better when I had music. Some people don't. Don't force it on yourself. The key is to find what DOES help, not to try to make something that doesn't work, work.

I'm with ya WTW. I need noise! A cafe, headphones, SOMETHING! It helps me focus. Distracts another part of my brain, otherwise I get lost in my own tangential thoughts.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:11 am   View user's profile Send private message
Poofiemus

I always have music when I write. In fact, I always make specific playlists for each story, especially during NaNo, because it helps keep my tone consistent and gets me in the mood to write that particular story.

By the way, one of my roommates absolutely LOVES Godspeed You Black Emperor. There aren't many people who even know that band exists, much less listen to them.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten

chris wrote:
I listen to music when there is other noise that needs to be blocked out, like construction noise, for instance. (Headphones, of course.) But I can't listen to music with words when I'm writing or I get distracted. I listen to acid jazz and trip hop music from SOMAFM.com-- it has a beat but is downtempo and can just sort of blend into the background. It's very much a taste thing, I think.

If I listen to music with lyrics when I write I tend to try and listen to the lyrics. I once got so absorbed in a pink floyd song I ended up typing the lyrics to the song as I was typing the story. Sounds weird, but its true.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:53 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

chris wrote:

Have you ever tried Indian flute, sitar, sarang, or veena?

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Oliverbritten

The one kind of music I find relaxing to listen to when I write is the band Air, anyone else listen to them? their laid back and relaxing songs really help sometimes.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

lisa wrote:
chris wrote:

Sitar music makes me want to take my own life. So, you know, that reincarnation thing would come in handy. But yes, I've tried it. I don't know what a sarang or a veena is, but I'll put them on my list of things to search for on Itunes.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sephonae

I totally rock out as I write. Sometimes even make mix CDs to capture certain moods. I made one for a project I recently started and just hearing the opening bass-line on the first tune is like flicking a switch in my mind that gets the ideas flowing. Classic conditioning.

Post Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:59 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Oliverbritten

chris wrote:
lisa wrote:
chris wrote:

Sitar music makes me want to take my own life. So, you know, that reincarnation thing would come in handy. But yes, I've tried it. I don't know what a sarang or a veena is, but I'll put them on my list of things to search for on Itunes.

What about bagpipes, Accordion, or washboard music? You know, the real music.

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
zendao42

Oliverbritten wrote:
chris wrote:
lisa wrote:
chris wrote:

What about bagpipes, Accordion, or washboard music? You know, the real music.

How about banjos, mandolins & fiddles? Twisted Evil

Post Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: