Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Publishing
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jaandlu

Publishing  Reply with quote  

Okay, as some of you know I finished a story of sorts. A novella I guess it would be called. People have been asking when it will come out in hard back form. Of course I never had any intention of ever trying to publish my little story. The whole thing is posted here so I am wondering if it is even legal to publish it. I recall someone saying something about digital rights and that you shouldn't post more than a certain percentage of your book online. I have no idea how I would go about finding someone to publish it or if it would even be something that could be published since it was posted here first. Anyone know the legality of it before I go looking for a publisher, just to end up in court with Chris and Ken? Or however that would work. As much as I would love to meet Chris and Ken in person, I am thinking that would not be the best way to meet them.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lauren

My first advice, if you're going to submit it, is to delete it from the fan fiction forum, and anywhere else it may exist online. 'cause otherwise it's out there for free, and that's where the issue could come into play.

If you're ready to submit it, I'd suggest going out to your local independent bookstore (okay, any bookstore will do, but I have to plug the indies) and picking up a copy of the Novel and Short Story Writer's Market 2006

Figure out who your audience is, and then look and see which publishers/magazines/etc are accepting submissions for that kind of story.

Follow the submission guidelines.

If they tell you to draw a little purple dragon in the upper left corner, I don't care how silly it sounds, do it. But seriously, the things they are asking for are a lot more reasonable than doodles - they're going to ask for a certain kind of formatting, maybe 10 point courier, or 12 point Times New Roman, and most likely for you to send a self-addressed stamped envelope. They might say "no simultaneous submissions" which usually means if you're submitting it to them, you can't submit it to someone else until they've accepted or rejected your work. (This is so they don't spend time reading and working on your submission, only to have you say "Sorry, I went with someone else" when they accept it.)

I am not a lawyer, so I don't know if taking your story down from here is enough, but it's a good start. You could maybe post your question over here - http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/ - I'd say on the Writing Novels board or the Ask the Agent/Ask the Editor boards. The advice you get there will be sound.

Good luck to you!

Edited to add another thought, (because I peeked at the thread and see you said you'd only thought of doing it for board denizens) - you could put it out yourself through http://www.lulu.com - you keep all the rights, you set the price. It's not going to get you into bookstores, or propel you to the top of the bestseller lists, but it's probably the best do-it-yourself out there, and you don't spend a dime unless you're buying yourself a copy.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
jaandlu

Thanks Lauren, that makes a lot of sense. I'll check into Lulu. I like the name of the company. I do have a serious issue with taking it down since it's all about this place. It just wouldn't seem right to take it down.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ginjg

I will buy a copy Ja

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

What Lauren said.

You're never going to have an issue with Ken and me unless you use something one of us wrote. If you wrote it, it's yours, even if it appears here first. But Lauren has a great point -- if it's appears somewhere for free, that may affect the effort to get it in print.

I have a non-fiction piece right now that I'd love to share with you guys, but my agent is trying to sell it to magazines, Obviously, if you mooks get it for free, they aren't going to want to pay for it and turn around and charge for it.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ginjg

Ja,
Is it actually long enough for a novella?

Chris,
We'd all sign NDA's and you could email it in a password protected pdf

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
jaandlu

At twelve point Chalkboard it is 99 pages including the title page. It is 29,045 words long. I have no clue if it is a novella and I am not publishing it to make money. I think I would rather leave it up here- because it's a parody of the boardello- and just make it available for you guys and any friends and family that might want a copy. I am most likely going to go through Lulu Creations like Lauren suggested. I am thinking I might fill it out a little more-include an extra chapter:wink: but we are not talking about the quality of writing of the AG. It's fun but it's target audience is all of you here. I have more or less already accomplished what I set out to do when I wrote it. I am very happy with the responses I have gotten from everyone here but I am under no delusions about it's salability. Art for arts sake and all that.

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Adeamus

well...because i am dense, i can give a fresh perspective and thoughts.

i read it all and i had no idea that it was based on characters on the board. i just thought the "pie" theme was for the benefit of our slightly mentally skewed bunch. that being said, i was thoroughly entertained. i enjoyed reading it. it was written well, and the storyline was complex and interesting.

i think that the last section was a little hurried, as if you were more interested in finishing it (i can relate to that need) then in following the story where it will go.

i think if you added some more development at the beginning and maybe played out the ending further...who knows it could be a novel or whatever.

(at times, i got confused which characters were which, but i think if you added more set up in the beginning, you could build the characters better)

these are just my thoughts and i am by no means an authority on anything.

no matter what you do, you created something that entertained me and for that i thank you

"As Willie Sutton the bank robber said when asked why he robbed banks, 'because that's where the money is'."

Post Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

Personally, I think you could mention a lot more about that FFPF guy. He sounds darned handsome and witty. Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
knikkki

The Writers Market.  Reply with quote  

It's well worth the $20.00 it costs on Amazon, I've used mine like a bible.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Re: The Writers Market.  Reply with quote  

knikkki wrote:
It's well worth the $20.00 it costs on Amazon, I've used mine like a bible.

What? You've quoted parts of it to back up stupid arguments or you've left it lying in the bookcase so you can say, "I know I've got one somewhere."

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jaandlu

Adeamus wrote:
well...because i am dense, i can give a fresh perspective and thoughts.

i read it all and i had no idea that it was based on characters on the board. i just thought the "pie" theme was for the benefit of our slightly mentally skewed bunch. that being said, i was thoroughly entertained. i enjoyed reading it. it was written well, and the storyline was complex and interesting.

i think that the last section was a little hurried, as if you were more interested in finishing it (i can relate to that need) then in following the story where it will go.

i think if you added some more development at the beginning and maybe played out the ending further...who knows it could be a novel or whatever.

(at times, i got confused which characters were which, but i think if you added more set up in the beginning, you could build the characters better)

these are just my thoughts and i am by no means an authority on anything.

no matter what you do, you created something that entertained me and for that i thank you

Thank you for your insight, Adeamus. This was the first story I had ever written. The first five parts were written to be stand alone short stories the sixth part was a punch line of sorts. I had always thought of it as a virtual novel; so I always felt you would have to be reading what was going on at the time on the board, to get all of it. When I wrote the 2.0 sections that was an attempt at writing an actual story. The ending was admittedly hurried; I always thought so but you are the first one to point it out. So now I am looking at this as just the beginning, a first draft, if you will. But the story doesn't end where it appears to. There is more of it written; I'm just not sure if it makes sense. Since making sense didn't stop me from writing the first part I think I will complete what I am working on then go back and develop the characters better.

The big thing that I have learned from this experience is that I really do love to write and what I write seems to entertain people; so I guess it is worth my time. Everyone here is very supportive, which makes this a great place to learn to write. I never went to college; this board is my Virtual Classroom.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jaandlu

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
Personally, I think you could mention a lot more about that FFPF guy. He sounds darned handsome and witty. Rolling Eyes

FFPF is one of my favorite characters but I was never really sure what to do with him. AFter all the real FFPF is much funnier than I could write him. Because I have never felt I could do justice the real thing, but wanted him in it, I wrote little about him. But come on Jeff, who can resist a name like Fatty Fatty Pork Face. That's freakin' brilliant.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

If only I could take credit for FattyFattyPorkFace, alas, it was a beautiful maiden who bestowed such a title upon me. I remember it well. Me, a tall, feckless eejit with designs on her bacon fries corn snack. Her, a beautiful 20-something barmaid with a tasty bacon fries corn snack and a razor sharp wit. I wasn't even within three feet of my tasty prize (or her corn snack *badumdumtish*) when I was spotted and forever dubbed FattyFattyPorkFace (hence my signature).

For the record, I did indeed get a tasty corn snack, but nothing more. Feckless eejit FFPF.

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Goudron

Regarding material posted on the Internet possibly hindering its eventual publishing: AG are your sample chapters exempt from this stigma because you already have a deal in motion to get the story published? Or do you have a special agreement that says it's ok to leak a chapter out?

Post Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: