Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Securing Copyright Permissions.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

Yeah ... this has been quite a while now, but I was able to secure some copyright permissions, but I had Pearl Jam lyrics that I was not able to use. It really will depend on how U2 manage their lyrics. PJ does it through their lawyer (which fucked me) other's do it through clearing houses like Arnold (I think that's what it was called.) Plus, you have to pay a fee per number of copies sold, so be careful. (and even if you only use a line at a time you are still supposed to get permission ...)

Post Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CoffeeCatMuse

What about just mentioning a TV show and some of its characters? (Example: The Snuffleuppagus on Sesame Street, or Ross and Rachel on Friends?) Do I need to get permission to do that as well?

Post Tue May 13, 2008 7:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
knikkki

CoffeeCatMuse wrote:
What about just mentioning a TV show and some of its characters? (Example: The Snuffleuppagus on Sesame Street, or Ross and Rachel on Friends?) Do I need to get permission to do that as well?

No, I mentioned tons of that stuff. Even had Oprah IN my book. Just don't quote them.

Post Tue May 13, 2008 7:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tirusthevirus

Hm. What about using song titles, but not the lyrics? In one scene, I have a character who speaks only in the titles of David Bowie songs. Do I need to pay for copyrights on song titles? Kind of seems to not make sense to have to, because some of the song titles are things like "Win" and "Don't Let me Down" but I dunno. I guess that goes back to the fair use thing?

And what about quotes where I know who said it, but I'm not sure in what context and who owns the rights to them. For example, I have a quote on each of 3 sections of my book, which I got from a quote website, which gave me the quote and who said it, but I can't find out in what publication they said it. Can't really pay any publisher for use if I can't find out who published it. Maybe I'll just take them out. Though I like the quotes.

“An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered.”

- Gilbert K. Chesterton

“It would absolutely suck if you paid a few bucks for a book only to find that on the first page it said, 'Once upon a time they all lived happily ever after' and the rest of the book was blank.”

- Simon Travaglia

“If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story.”

- Orson Welles

Any help/answers would be appreciated.

- Bryce

Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
zendao42

Makes me wonder how much Penn Jillette had to pay when he wrote SOCK...

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

song titles can not be copyrighted, only the content of the song.

and very short quotes only need to be attributed. no documentation or permission required.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:57 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

Ginjg wrote:
[...] and very short quotes only need to be attributed. no documentation or permission required.

But what the writer might think is "short" might not be so to the copyright owner -- unless the law is specific enough to cover that. Is it a matter of maximum number of words from one song, or maximum number of lines of verse, etc.?

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
tirusthevirus

Ginjg wrote:
song titles can not be copyrighted, only the content of the song.

and very short quotes only need to be attributed. no documentation or permission required.

phwew! *wipes sweat off brow*

Well, that is good to know. lol.
Thx. I kind of figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure if having David Bowie speak in only song titles recorded by David Bowie was allowed or not.

Still not sure if the quotes I have are considered short quotes, b/c that is a matter of perspective and it depends on how long the body of work is that the quote comes from, and I'm not sure where these quotes came from. But anyway, I'll worry about that when I get around to finding a publisher and such.

- Bryce

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ginjg

a paragraph is fine. a page too much. In between lies the devil. The "rule" is that a quote is considered to be fair use if can not be construed to comprise any substantial part of your work.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
tirusthevirus

oh ok. cool. so, in a 150 page novel, a 2-line quote is probably not very substantial.

- Bryce

Post Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
knikkki

mllefifi wrote:
Ginjg wrote:
[...] and very short quotes only need to be attributed. no documentation or permission required.

But what the writer might think is "short" might not be so to the copyright owner -- unless the law is specific enough to cover that. Is it a matter of maximum number of words from one song, or maximum number of lines of verse, etc.?

There's a formula.

This is what is referred to as the "fair use" law, however, what I learned in my research is that it doesn't apply for commercial fiction.

It's designed for text books and critical articles.

As Chris stated somewhere in this thread, I believe, he wanted to use a sentence or two out of a Beatles song and decided against it because it was cost prohibited. Fair use didn't apply, even for one or two lines, because it's commercial fiction.

Utlimately, the author pays the tab on those things, and the author is responsible, so I'd be careful. You can google all this shit.

Post Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sugarraydodge

Or you could just throw it in there, publish it, and hope nobody notices. That's what I do.

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mllefifi

An alternative is to create a character in your novel who is a fictional pop-music star of some sort, and invent lyrics for songs by this personality.

If you don't believe me, ask Taco Bob about "Marty the Manatee." Wink

Post Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CoffeeCatMuse

sugarraydodge wrote:
Or you could just throw it in there, publish it, and hope nobody notices. That's what I do.

OMG, I SO wanted to do that. I wrote a scene in which two characters were singing all the lines they knew about the moon...only Fogerty gave me gratis permission...all the others were too complicated (how many copies sold, owing more later if other publishers charged more, giving them a gratis copy etc...

Chris Isaak and the RHCP gave gratis permission for their one-liners (thank you, gentlemen!)...everyone else got paraphrased (heh heh).

U2's handlers flat out said "Don't bother, they never get back with us with a reply."

I have never understood this...it's free advertising for their artists. Especially if portrayed in a good light.

Oh well...it's done.

And thanks for the guidance on the quotes, because I've got one by Anais Nin!

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sugarraydodge

CoffeeCatMuse wrote:
sugarraydodge wrote:

OMG, I SO wanted to do that. I wrote a scene in which two characters were singing all the lines they knew about the moon...only Fogerty gave me gratis permission...all the others were too complicated (how many copies sold, owing more later if other publishers charged more, giving them a gratis copy etc...

Chris Isaak and the RHCP gave gratis permission for their one-liners (thank you, gentlemen!)...everyone else got paraphrased (heh heh).

U2's handlers flat out said "Don't bother, they never get back with us with a reply."

I have never understood this...it's free advertising for their artists. Especially if portrayed in a good light.

Oh well...it's done.

And thanks for the guidance on the quotes, because I've got one by Anais Nin!

I can understand why artists are against their music being Napstered all over the internet. But I never understood why they charge for lyrics to be printed in books, or even why they charge for them to be used in TV Shows. When I see the lyrics of a song before the story begins, I will usually google it, listen to a sample, and sometimes I'll buy. Hell, when I hear a song on House or Lost that I think is pretty cool, I usually buy it up on iTunes. It's hard to feel sorry for artists who charge thousands of dollars to put their lyrics into a book that is being self-published and will probably sell less than 100 copies anyway.

Post Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: