Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Poll: re chocolate people...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Is it...
okay
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
not okay
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
palmer

Poll: re chocolate people...  Reply with quote  

This was posted in the "Hate...?" thread:

"...the black people are not the ones doing all of the hating. From what I see it is generally the pasty people..."

I want to put this in perspective. What would be your reaction if you saw something like this:

"It is generally the chocolate people who are responsible for the violence..."

(Just in case anyone read this too quickly, I am not, repeat not doing this to denigrate any racial group.)

Black is beautiful.

Okay?

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Katie

You're trying to do this to make people feel uncomfortable about their arguments. You assumed that no one would respond so that you could say "haha! It's not okay." If folks want to talk about tasty chocolate chips, then let them. I will restate my position. I will not use language at someone if I know it offends them. I will use slang like that around my black friends who don't have a problem with it, but I tkae each case in context, and taking this totally out of context is a little forced.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
palmer

Katie wrote:
You're trying to do this to make people feel uncomfortable about their arguments.

No, I'm not. I'm trying to make a point. No offence, Katie, but you do not, can not, know what my motivation is. In the absence of such knowledge, I assure you that I am being truthful in my stated intent.

Quote:
You assumed that no one would respond so that you could say "haha! It's not okay."

Absolutely not. And I do not see how I could logically draw such a conclusion from a lack of response. I posed a question. In so doing, I throw it open to the participants who will either agree or disagree with the point I am trying to make.

Quote:
If folks want to talk about tasty chocolate chips, then let them. I will restate my position. I will not use language at someone if I know it offends them. I will use slang like that around my black friends who don't have a problem with it, but I tkae each case in context, and taking this totally out of context is a little forced.

The context is this: acceptable terminology for public consumption?

And this is not personal in any way shape or form. It is a debating tactic. That is all that it is. I encourage you and anyone else who reads this not to take it personally.

Okay?

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
conspiracies unlimited

I like chocholate... its got a sexy ring to it... i new a chick that was a nice cocoa color... man was she smokin'...

so yeah... go with the sugary food terms all you want...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

I don't understand the question.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jay

Hell yes, chocolate people are ok. Jeez, don't they have enough problems already, what with the tendency to melt down when things get warm, and the icky way they turn that whitish color when they get old? And the fat, my god, the fat!

Strawberry people suck, however. Grrr. Hate them.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:27 pm   
Ferrit Leggings

I prefer to lick the pasties on women covered in chocolate pudding.

FL

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
UnimportantLime

I'm confused.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address

It's a popularity contest. If you like Katie best, vote yes; if you like Palmer best, vote no.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:49 pm   
Katie

palmer wrote:

The context is this: acceptable terminology for public consumption?

Public consumption of chocolate people...I'm not sure where to start on how wrong that is.

First of all, I don't use the term chocolate people actually. I will use the word chocolate in one way or the other when relating to black friends who also use the word.

And public consumption, in addition to being a hysterical choice of words. is far too broad a context. If the phrase is used in a sitcom which centers around a mixed group of friends, then it's fine. The term probably has been used in that context. I don't know. My anttena mostly only picks up CBS, so I don't watch sitcoms. If the word is being used by president Bush while addressing the NAACP, not so much. Still a public forum, but a completely different context.

I will address the rest of my response to the hate forum since I'm sure everyone wants to get back to the discussion on consuming chocolate people publically.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
UnimportantLime

Anonymous wrote:
It's a popularity contest. If you like Katie best, vote yes; if you like Palmer best, vote no.
In that case, voted yes. Wink hehe

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
palmer

Okay, the whole thread is on LSD.

I withdraw the question...

...and feel lucky to have escaped with my sanity intact.

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

palmer wrote:
Okay, the whole thread is on LSD.

I withdraw the question...

...and feel lucky to have escaped with my sanity intact.

You started it...

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
palmer

...and now I'm running away from it -- as fast as I can. Wink

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Katie

To hell they're on LSD. I'm winning! I'm kicking your ass! I've never won a popularity contest before. Woohoo! chocolate for all people!

Post Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: