Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Simple HTML
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Blissgirl

Simple HTML  Reply with quote  

I know this is a bit late but I could have been lazy and posted nothing a all.http://www.w3schools.com/html/
This is an easy way to learn simple HTML so you know how to make things BOLD or Underlined with simple tags. w3schools is always up to date if you need to know more than simple HTML, but the basics are covered in the first few lessons. I always find it easier to type my own tags. Take a look, its really easy and you can learn it in less than 10 minutes. It's so easy to emphasise! Ok, so i wasn't born funny.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:03 am   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

Ooo, look, another newbie.

I'd ask you to read the rules, but since you're in graphic design we'll leave that for the board mom, who's also in graphic design (but watch out for the pica stick).

I'd also be specific about how you must be when you post, but the other boardello dwellers have said it's weird when I do it. So you should hope Mom comes along pretty quick.

Yoo-hoo, Sara...

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

Oh dear god, thank you! I have book marked.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:55 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Tal

Why use html when the forum software provides a simple to use option?

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
palmer

Re: Simple HTML  Reply with quote  

Blissgirl wrote:
I know this is a bit late but I could have been lazy and posted nothing a all.http://www.w3schools.com/html/
This is an easy way to learn simple HTML so you know how to make things BOLD or Underlined with simple tags. w3schools is always up to date if you need to know more than simple HTML, but the basics are covered in the first few lessons. I always find it easier to type my own tags. Take a look, its really easy and you can learn it in less than 10 minutes. It's so easy to emphasise! Ok, so i wasn't born funny.

Is there a printer-friendly version anywhere?

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:48 am   View user's profile Send private message
conspiracies unlimited

Tal wrote:
Why use html when the forum software provides a simple to use option?

yeah, what he said...
It's time to separate the awkwardly feminine from the possibly canadian

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:18 am   View user's profile Send private message
Tal

KISS Very Happy

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Blissgirl

Quote:
"(I give up. I just wrote a 500 word rant about the clunkiness of this interface, which I've erased because I couldnt' make it do bold type.)"

I ment to post this as a reply in the Top Author Thread. I appologise. I was trying to be helpful. I find that using simple HTML is easier than using an interface because I don't have to go back and change things. Its a matter of preference I suppose. It's good to know for other reasons.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Blissgirl

Oh, and I was naked. I am naked, I am not Canadian, and I find that Lust Lizard is more comfortable than Lamb as a top book. Do I really have to rotate? I am not married to a Canadian, I've never even been to Canadia. I try to be Hilarious, but I can only ever achieve chucklehood. Occasionally I get lucky and I say something I didn't know was funny. Like the time I was in the backseat of a trans-am shouting that i had to use a bathroom because I was full of pee-ness. I didn't get it for days. Confused

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Blissgirl

Re: Simple HTML  Reply with quote  

Quote:
Is there a printer-friendly version anywhere?

http://www.w3schools.com/tags/default.asp?output=print
You wont need most of these tags but the basics are here and printer friendly. Very Happy I'm happy I have paperback. eesh.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

Warning, techno-rant about to start...

I'm with blissgirl on this one. phpbb is a fine little bulletin board system, but why they though they needed yet another formatting language is beyond me. As an example of how little they accomplished with this, consider these comparisons:
Code:
[b]This makes text bold in phpbb.[/b]
<b>This makes text bold in html.</b>
Code:
[i]This makes text italic in phpbb.[/i]
<i>This makes text italic in html.</i>
Code:
This creates a [url=http://lokkur.dexter.mi.us]link[/url] in phpbb.
This creates a <a href="http://lokkur.dexter.mi.us">link</a> in html.

Perhaps you see a trend there? There's almost nothing in phpbb that is significantly more difficult in html, and there's far far more good html documentation that phpcode documentation.

Now let's talk about a few things that, for no apparent reason, phpcode does worse than html. If I write this in phpcode:
Code:
[b]R[/b][i]a[/i][color=blue]n[/color][color=red][b]s[/b][/color]o[size=18]m[/size]
it comes out like this:

Ransom

Does it look a little funny? It should, because phpcode has added spaces between each letter. Yep, every time you change font, color, etc, phpcode inserts a space. And since spaces separate words, should the fancy version of Ransom happen to be near the end of the line, it may get broken at any one of the spaces and the rest of the letters put on the next line. Try resizing the window you're reading this in, and watch it happen.

Somebody just wasn't thinking when they did that.

I'm not in the slightest suggesting we go to a different bbs system; nor urging Ken to go off and start putting html capability into the board. I've just had this rant building up for a while, and needed to vent. phpbb is a fine bbs facility, and when we've discussed putting one up at work, I've recommended it. Even if phpcode drives me crazy.

You may now return to your thread, which is already in progress.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

So how about a phpcode or htmlcode for a reverse italic (back leaning rather than forward) to show sarcasm or irony?

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lib

Ginjg wrote:
So how about a phpcode or htmlcode for a reverse italic (back leaning rather than forward) to show sarcasm or irony?

Sarcasm on this board???

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message
palmer

An irony indicator, yes, that's what we need.

Would have saved my ass more than once.

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message
sgt_steve

palmer wrote:
An irony indicator, yes, that's what we need.

Would have saved my ass more than once.
What do you mean? Cool

Post Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: