Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Politics

Poll: stereotypes based on skin colour are...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

The use of racial sterotypes is...
okay
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
not okay
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
palmer

Poll: stereotypes based on skin colour are...  Reply with quote  

Okay, I lost the poll on chocolate people -- 7:2 at last count.

Let's try this, then:

Stereotypes based on skin colour are...

(not a popularity contest, this time Confused )

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lisa M

I rarely weigh in on the politics thread, but I want to say this: I have a generous sense of humor, a warm and loving heart. I will laugh at almost anything that puts a twist on life. Political cartoons: make me think. Jokes: make me evaluate my view of the world.

Judging people by color/body type/whatever? Not good. Being able to laugh, if we know what the background noise is? Perfectly acceptable.
Unfortunately, having a robust awareness of the background noise is, I fear, not so common.

I will think on this. I may have a better response tomorrow.

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message
palmer

Lisa M wrote:
I rarely weigh in on the politics thread, but I want to say this: I have a generous sense of humor, a warm and loving heart. I will laugh at almost anything that puts a twist on life. Political cartoons: make me think. Jokes: make me evaluate my view of the world.

Judging people by color/body type/whatever? Not good. Being able to laugh, if we know what the background noise is? Perfectly acceptable.
Unfortunately, having a robust awareness of the background noise is, I fear, not so common.

I will think on this. I may have a better response tomorrow.

A most thoughtful response.

When I posed the question, I was not thinking of humour.

If that helps.

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

palmer wrote:

When I posed the question, I was not thinking of humour.

If that helps.

That has to be one of the stupidest questions I have ever read. What I want to know from you is where the hell you think this shit up, never mind I donít want to know. The answer may scare the hell out of me. Next are you going to ask about discriminating on the basis of religion?

Oh, fuck it.

You know it has been a blast for the time I have been here but I am not staying around. I have other things to do.

Ta,
(One last ta for Ja and Y.)
FL

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
palmer

Ferrit Leggings wrote:
That has to be one of the stupidest questions I have ever read. What I want to know from you is where the hell you think this shit up, never mind I donít want to know. The answer may scare the hell out of me.

It should! Know why? Because I didn't think it up. You did.

You posted something to the effect that it is the "pasty" people who are generally responsible for the hate -- which is, itself, a racial stereotype!

This poll is my investigation into whether or not people think that such things are "okay".

In my book, they're not.

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

Okay, Congratulations, you've gotten a rise out of me.

palmer, get over it already. Not everyone thinks like you. I have tried to keep my mouth shut, but you are infuriating me with these useless never-ending arguments.

You always have to get the last word in. Go on, I dare you to reply to this post, prove me right.

And guess what I'M FUCKING PASTY! Is this because I am caucasian? Fuck no. I am pasty because my skin is the color of elmers glue. My skin is iridescent. Even when I do go outside into the sunshine, my skin does not dark, the white glow just slightly dims. This is the type of person that most people are referring to when they use the term "pasty."

This is not a racial issue at all. This is you just trying to start something. Congratulations. It worked.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JulieB

Okay, I saw Vahlee's post and apparently there is some history that I have no clue about but...

Palmer, what are you trying to say? As a newbie, I have no clue what your polls mean or what they are saying. Can you clarify in a big rant to a newbie?
Twisted Evil

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
palmer

oops -- duplicate posts and I couldn't delete this one...

Last edited by palmer on Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message
palmer

JulieB wrote:
Okay, I saw Vahlee's post and apparently there is some history that I have no clue about but...

Palmer, what are you trying to say? As a newbie, I have no clue what your polls mean or what they are saying. Can you clarify in a big rant to a newbie?
Twisted Evil

I assume that I can reply to your post without proving Vahlee's point...

I started a thread about "hate" in the Politics section http://bbs.chrismoore.com/viewtopic.php?t=5842, which garnered one response that white people ("pasty people") were generally the ones who were doing the hating.

To me that was a racial/racist stereotype, and it made me angry, and I said so.

Since then, I have been going to some lengths to argue that racism, no matter which group it is directed at, is wrong.

Some people can deal with opposing points of view calmly; some can not.

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

Ferrit...It's a global village. You got another planet to go to? Damn. Kilgore?

Post Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ginjg

I'm hoping he was just refering to the Politics section.

'cause I love his wit and his photos.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Palmer, dude, you never prove a point with this shit. You just irritate people. You never appear to modify your viewpoint, nor anybody else's, so why irritate people to make a point?

If you feel you must, just state your POV and stand by it. You don't have to defend it. You obviously have people who sympathize with your viewpoint, as well as those who disagree. It seems, however, that often the topics you introduce are done so to make you feel better about how you feel. Is that right?

I mean, if you're not sure about how you feel, for Christ's sake, don't ask us. Look where we hang out. What we all have in common is a pronounced lack of judgement.

Get a magic eight ball.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:17 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Klari

Wow, okay, I know there is some history with palmer, although I've not really been part of it and if I was, I've forgotten what it was.

What I'd like to say is, if his post is motivated by what he says it is, well, I would like to say that I agree it's a problem. And not in a denying the holocaust ever happened, Arian Nations kind of way. In the, we need to have the dialogue in order to deal with prejudice and racism and what our own perceptions mess with.

I was the subject and I guess I could say victim of racism against white people in high school. I had a nutty history teacher who had a serious issue with white people. As I know I've said before on this board, I was a member of the Sesame Street generation and grew up seeing a lot less color than a lot of people. When I begged to differ with this teacher's opinion "If you're born white in America you can't help but be racist." I began to fail her class. Nevermind that we weren't doing any work in the class except watching Disney movies, writing up summaries of current events from the newspaper and 3rd term we made a doll which was packed up and we never saw them again and it was never tied to any curriculum. Now, I hesitate to call myself the victim of racism because 1) despite her best efforts, I still graduated with my class and 2) though this incident colored my view (forgive the pun) for many years, I'm very lucky and have been able to discuss it with many African Americans who I greatly respect, admire and love and work out some of my own issues.

As a "pasty" person who has tried to be more of the solution than the problem (and who is a lifetime member of the NAACP) I take great offense at this.

And personally, I think it's all you tan people out there. You're the ones who could go galavanting off to warm climates where the "brown" people were to oppress and you could withstand the heat. You make the pasties feel bad for their lack of pigment, the darker people have to work for you. Let's tell it like it is.

Now, if you all don't start getting along (and palmer, quit antagonizing people, do a little self editing, or better explain yourself, don't expect people to read your mind and know by osmosis which post you may be referring to in another thread, not everybody lives on here and reads everything) then you'll be seeing some of the violence inherent in the system.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
JulieB

chris wrote:
Palmer, dude, you never prove a point with this shit. You just irritate people. You never appear to modify your viewpoint, nor anybody else's, so why irritate people to make a point?

If you feel you must, just state your POV and stand by it. You don't have to defend it. You obviously have people who sympathize with your viewpoint, as well as those who disagree. It seems, however, that often the topics you introduce are done so to make you feel better about how you feel. Is that right?

I mean, if you're not sure about how you feel, for Christ's sake, don't ask us. Look where we hang out. What we all have in common is a pronounced lack of judgement.

Get a magic eight ball.

Very well put Chris. Thanks for the clarification. I just hope your computer screen is clean of feces this morning. Very Happy

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Klari

chris wrote:

What I thought we all had in common was you wrote some books and the rest of us read and liked 'em. So you're saying that was bad judgement? Bad judgement for you to write them and bad judgement for us to read them? If that's bad then I don't want to be good!

Keep up the good, er bad, um, nevermind. Keep up the work. Yeah.

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:26 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: