Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Yet ANOTHER Question for AG

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kate R

Yet ANOTHER Question for AG  Reply with quote  

So I was thinking about it, and since your wifelike-girlfriend's name is Charlee, why did you choose to name your character in ADJ Charlie? Was it to honor her in some way, or just a coincidence?

Wasn't quite sure where I should post this, so here you are. Very Happy

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:23 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jaandlu

I wondered that too but didn't want to be the one to bring it up. But now that it's out there... what's the deal, AG?

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Klari

I'd have to say, that right there is a mental airbag moment.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:12 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

It had nothing to do with my Charlee. I just wanted a name that sounded likable and normal -- but with two syllables. Originally the characters name was Charlie Weiner, because I thought it sounded funny, then I found out that there was a comic by that name so I changed it to Charlie Asher.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:13 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

chris wrote:
It had nothing to do with my Charlee. I just wanted a name that sounded likable and normal -- but with two syllables. Originally the characters name was Charlie Weiner, because I thought it sounded funny, then I found out that there was a comic by that name so I changed it to Charlie Asher.

I prefer Asher. Weiner is too American and your four UK readers (me, mary the ex-barmaid, my dad and my sister) wouldn't like it. Asher contains a certain level of symbolism (ashes to ashes, dust to Dyson).

Of course, I don't really care what you call your characters just as long as you keep putting them in books. I mean, what the hell do I know? My characters have stupid names (I once tried to write something with a character called Carber Danes...what kind of fucked up name is that? I've since decided that he killed himself because of his name before the story occurred and therefore before I could write it).

Why did I post this? I don't know. Caffeine?

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:36 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sgt_steve

Klari wrote:
I'd have to say, that right there is a mental airbag moment.
I have nothing to add, but want to cherish the phrase 'a mental airbag moment.'

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

Thanks AG! Curiosity satisfied. You're right, Charlie does tend to be a very likable name, I think this is because of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but that could just be me.[/code]

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:12 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Klari

Steve, I can't take credit for it, it's the AG's own words. In fact, he was talking about mental airbags and the necessity for them at his last Powell's signing and one of the questions he was asked was if he had patterned any of his characters after Charlee and a guy in the back row yells out "Mental airbag!" What I want to know is, what did Chris pay him and how come he didn't ask me? I'd have been his plant for free.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:41 am   View user's profile Send private message
TheatreCrazyRedhead

I've been kicking around the idea of writing a book for a really long time. My main character was going to be a guy named Al Buterol, a guy with asthma. For those of you who don't know, albuterol is an asthmatic inhaler. I was in just a bit of denial about being diagnosed with adult-onset asthma. What can I say? Embarassed

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

TheatreCrazyRedhead wrote:
I've been kicking around the idea of writing a book for a really long time. My main character was going to be a guy named Al Buterol, a guy with asthma. For those of you who don't know, albuterol is an asthmatic inhaler. I was in just a bit of denial about being diagnosed with adult-onset asthma. What can I say? Embarassed

Long way to go. His girlfriend could be Epi Nefrin, and let's not forget Aunti Histamine, who raised him Smile

Coming from a guy who has characters named Minty Fresh, Mavis Sand, and Steve, I know I push the envelope sometimes, but I do believe you can go too far. My example. Robbin's last book had a character named Bardo Bibby-bop. Now I love the Tom. The Tom is a hero of mine. But Bardo Mofucking Bippy-mofucking-bop? Wigga please!

Coffee in the moring, demonic chronic in the evening. Do not load the bong before breakfast, Bruddah Tom, lest you end up naming your characters shit like Bardo-What a stupid fucking name-Bippy-which no one has said since 1967-fucking-Bop. Jah.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:57 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

chris wrote:
Long way to go. His girlfriend could be Epi Nefrin, and let's not forget Aunti Histamine, who raised him Smile
Don't laugh, my wifes nieces and nephews refer to her as Aunti Social. OK, go ahead and laugh. Just don't quote me.
chris wrote:
Coming from a guy who has characters named Minty Fresh, Mavis Sand, and Steve, I know I push the envelope sometimes...
Wait . . . Steve? Seemed perfectly ordinary to me. Oh, a bit square sometimes, but the name . . . perfectly ordinary.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
UnimportantLime

Oh man that's funny.

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Klari

TCR, you have asthama, too? We so need to form a united front!

OMG, love the names! You could have their East Indian friend Singh Ulair, he's the kind of guy who's on hand to help out every day and can everyone down, and a childhood friend Addie Vaire who is also around every day but if you try and skip out on her, she'll turn on you. Oh, and Theo Phalin who is a crotchety but really hyper old man.

(For those who don't know, Singulair is a medication taken every day for asthma to keep the inflamation down and treat it on a daily basis. So is Advair, but it's a corto-costeroid and sort of like Prednisone without the long term bad effects, in that it suppressed your immune system and if you try to quit it suddenly it can be very dangerous, you have to be weaned off of it. Theophaline (sp?) is what they used to use instead of albuterol but it will give you serious shakes, raised blood pressure and in general, you feel like crap. Albuterol will do that to a certain extent, but from what I've heard, Theophaline makes Albuterol look like valium.)

TCR, you totally kick ass!!

Post Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: