Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Fan Fiction Here

The OTHER Begotten Son - Prologue

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Joelibris

The OTHER Begotten Son - Prologue  Reply with quote  

PROLOGUE

God looked down upon the Earth and found it, well, all wrong. "HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN SINCE YOU WERE THERE?" He asked the Son, who was beside him.
"ONE THOUSAND NINE HUNDRED AND THIRTY-TWO OF THEIR YEARS, BUT YOU KNOW HOW THEY GOT TIME ALL MESSED UP," came the reply. "WHY?"
"LOOK AT IT!" God bellowed, exasperated. "DON'T YOU SEE WHAT'S GOING ON? WAR, VICE, MURDER; YOU NAME IT, THEY'RE DOING IT! BREAKING ALL TEN OF MY COMMANDMENTS ON A DAILY BASIS!"
The Son just nodded in polite agreement. "YOU HAVE TO ADMIT, THOUGH, THAT THE WHOLE SABBATH DAY THING HAS BECOME A BIT PASSE."
"SURE, BUT THE OTHERS ARE POSITIVELY TIMELESS, AND DON'T GET ME STARTED ON THE BERKELEY MOVEMENT!"
"THAT WON'T BE FOR A COUPLE, THREE YEARS YET," the Son pointed out.
"OH, PICK PICK PICK!" God waved off the criticism.
"SO, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT? YOU PROMISED NO MORE WORLD-DECIMATING FLOODS."
"WELL, WHAT ABOUT THE FIRE AND BRIMSTONE END-OF-THE-WORLD THING THE EVANGELISTS ARE ALWAYS ON ABOUT?" God suggested. "THAT MIGHT WORK."
"DO YOU REALLY THINK IT'S AS BAD AS THAT? the Son asked. "IT SEEMS ABOUT THE SAME AS WHEN YOU SENT ME THERE TO STRAIGHTEN THEM OUT."
"TRUE, BUT I DON'T SEEM TO RECALL CAESAR OR PONTIUS PILATE DROPPING A BOMB THAT WOULD KILL 100,000 PEOPLE, OR DELIBERATELY MURDERING SIX MILLION BASED SOLELY ON THEIR ETHNICITY OR RELIGIOUS BELIEFS." God looked at the Son, giving the impression of eyebrows raised. "AND REMEMBER THE PROBLEM WE HAD WHEN HITLER KILLED HIMSELF-"
"WITH A LITTLE HELP..."
"YES, WITH A LITTLE HELP. BUT STILL, WE CERTAINLY WEREN'T GOING TO TAKE HIM."
"AND LUCIFER DIDN'T WANT HIM, EITHER. THOUGHT IT WOULD LOWER PROPERTY VALUES," the Son chuckled. "I HAVE TO ADMIT, YOUR SOLUTION WAS, SHALL I SAY, UNIQUE. REINCARNATE HIM AS AN ARAB. WAS THAT REALLY SMART, THOUGH?"
"LET'S JUST SAY THAT IF HE'S STILL AROUND IN TWENTY-FIVE OR SO OF THEIR YEARS, HE WILL DEFINITELY KEEP THE WORLD ON ITS TOES."
"SO, WHAT DO WE DO ABOUT THE PROBLEM AT HAND?"
"IF I DON'T END THE WORLD, THE ONLY OTHER OPTION IS TO SEND ANOTHER OPERATIVE TO TRY AND CHANGE THINGS."
The Son seemed to get a little fidgety hearing this. "ME AGAIN? I KNOW THESE PEOPLE. I LIVED WITH THEM FOR YEARS. EVEN GOT BORN TO ONE OF THEM."
"NO. YOU SERVED YOUR TOUR OF DUTY. I'LL SEND SOMEONE ELSE. BESIDES, REMEMBER THE DEAL ABOUT IF I SEND YOU AGAIN, THAT'S PRETTY MUCH IT FOR THEM."
"AW, C'MON, LET ME GO AGAIN," the Son pleaded. "WON'T TELL A SOUL, NO PUN INTENDED..."
"ACTUALLY, I WAS CONSIDERING SOMEONE WITH A FRESH OUTLOOK ON THINGS. JUST THINK OF HIM AS YOUR NEW LITTLE BROTHER."
The Son moved back. "WHAT IF I DON'T WANT A NEW LITTLE BROTHER?"
God made a comforting gesture toward the Son. "DON'T BE LIKE THAT. I HAVE ENOUGH LOVE FOR THE BOTH OF YOU. FOR ALL OF CREATION, IN FACT."
"ALRIGHT."
"ALL BETTER?"
"YES."
"NOW ALL I HAVE TO DO IS FIND A WHOLESOME VIRGIN TO MAKE WITH CHILD."
"THAT MAY BE HARD TO DO," the Son commented, "IF SHE'S OVER TWELVE, THESE DAYS."
"THERE'S STILL A FEW OUT THERE, BUT HOW TO PICK ONE," God mused. "I SUPPOSE I'LL USE THE OLD NATURAL DISASTER STAND-BY."
"YOU DON'T MEAN..."
"YES," said God. "EENIE, MEENIE, MINEY..."

"No more! NO MORE!" Marlene Christopher pleaded as she vomited explosively into the azalea bushes that grew along side her family's home. "OH GAWWWWWD!"

The months passed slowly for Marlene. In her heart, she knew something was different about her pregnancy, as she'd never gone further with a boy than heavy kissing and a little light petting, the opposite of what most of the other girls her age did. Was it possible that one of her uncles or brothers (No, not her brothers; Papa had firm beliefs about what to do if something like that were to happen, and they were none too pleasant.) had done this to her in her sleep? That seemed to be the only realistic option she could think of.
Regardless, the entire town had its own ideas, and voiced them publicly and loud. It was for everybody except Marlene, her Papa and perhaps her brothers, common knowledge that she was loose and easy; especially now that she was pregnant and could do it all day and night with no further consequences. People walking down Center Street would turn and gawk at her when they thought she wasn't looking. Common thoughts were: 'Look at her! Holding her head high as if a bastard baby was somethin' to be proud of!' and 'Her Daddy's a decent enough man, why don't he keep her locked up till the baby comes, t'save some face for the family?'
People in a small southern town like Randall, South Carolina were prone to gossip, and especially when it was the daughter of the prominent colored Baptist minister who was the object. Rumor flew around town like a flock of geese in November, usually headed for the dump to gobble up more garbage. Was the baby a product of incest? Or maybe she'd seduced a proper white boy and deliberately gotten pregnant to entrap him or blackmail his family. Who knew? But wasn't it fun to speculate!
Marlene was nearing her due date when she took Boo-ray Junglecat to Doc Jenkins, the town veterinarian to have him neutered. Boo-ray was a huge black cat who had a white patch on his chest that resembled a bow tie. The animal had some general idea what was about to happen and was straining at the end of his leash, desperately not wishing to sing soprano.
"Come on you silly cat," Marlene pleaded, just a few yards from Doc Jenkins front door. The one she wasn't allowed to use. "This ain't gonna hurt a bit." She continued to tug the leash, dragging Boo-ray Junglecat another few feet down the sidewalk. The cat had an idea. If backing up wouldn't work, he'd go forward. Boo-ray lunged ahead, right between Marlene's feet, and pulled her backwards. She landed square on her backside and yelped in sudden, intense pain. Boo-ray ran down the sidewalk, hoping for one more feline sexual conquest before allowing Marlene to have him fixed. Amniotic fluid gushed floodlike down the concrete form between Marlene's legs, staining her navy dress and white knee socks. "Oh God! The baby's comin'!" she screamed."Somebody help me!"
An elderly black woman heard her cries and rushed over. "Girl, what's the matter?"
"I'm havin' my baby! Oh, God it hurts!" The woman helped Marlene to her feet. They headed for Doc Jenkins front door just as the neon Texaco sign high above their heads began to strobe like an earth-bound pulsar.
"Well, girl, that's what you get for bein' easy," the old woman chided. Marlene pushed open the door with her right arm, the left she was using to support her belly. As they stepped in, the old woman hollered, "We got a girl here havin' a baby! Someboby help her; call her daddy!"
The waiting room was near to full with ailing dogs, cats, rabbits, and assorted other critters. Doc Jenkins still made house calls for beasts of burden. All eyes turned to Marlene. The receptionist, a prim looking blonde with a pinched nose, looked down her harlequin glasses and informed Marlene that Doctor Jenkins didn't do people, and even if he did, she'd sill have to go around back and use the other entrance.
The old woman threw the receptionist a look as she helped Marlene to a place on the waiting bench, freshly vacated by a patron who didn't care to sit too close to a colored girl, much less one who was about to 'pop a young-un' on his lap.
"Was that the evil eye?" that receptionist accused the old woman. "I know it was! Who do you think you are, you-"
"I don't have to think who I am," the old woman interrupted calmly. "Ain't that old yet. But I am old enough to remember changin' your diapers, Belinda Matthews." Several people turned to look at Belinda. "Smelliest damn baby I ever cared for. Stunk to high heaven and beyond, I swear..." The old woman trailed off, turning her attention once again to Marlene, as several snickers of varying pitch echoed in the waiting room. "Now, what's your name, girl?"
"Marlene Christopher, ma'am," she panted, leaning back on the bench, one hand still cradling her belly, the other now futilely covering up the stain that spread across the front of her dress, which had transformed the navy blue into deep purple. "And I ain't EASY!"
The old woman pulled a starched white handkerchief from her tan wicker handbag and wiped the copious beads of sweat that were running down Marlene's forehead and into her eyes. " My name's Dorothea. Dotty for you. Ain't no need to call me like I was your schoolteacher." She turned to look at red-faced Belinda again. "If you don't get the doctor to see this girl now, I'll give you somethin' worse than the evil eye!" Belinda ran into the examining room.
"How do you know so much about her?" Marlene asked Dotty, then cried out.
Dotty gave her a wide grin. "Honey, I've cleaned house or cared for the children of most of the white folks in this town; ain't a lot I don't know." Dotty winked at Marlene. " How long between pushes?"
"Don't know," said Marlene. "Maybe half a minute or sooOOOH!"
"Too close," Dotty muttered, then hollered, "Where the hell is that damn doctor?"
Belinda exited the examination room with a strange expression, followed by Doc Jenkins, beads of sweat running down his face, and by Jane Evins with her black standard poodle, Jacque. "I'm comin', I'm comin'!" Doc Jenkins muttered and looked around.
"Maybe five minutes ago you were," an unidentified voice shot back. The poodle looked Marlene in the eyes and winked. A little boy on a bench near Jacque covered his mouth, giggling.
"Who said that?" Doc Jenkins demanded as he looked around the room. "What the hell!" he exclaimed as he finally saw Marlene through the throng of onlookers that surrounded her.
"This girl's havin' a baby so get over here and do somethin'!" Dotty said, and the crowd parted like the Red Sea to let the vet through.
"Hell's bells, gal! I don't do people!"
"He did one about five minutes ago," the mystery voice said, and once again, the poodle winked at Marlene. The little boy laughed out loud at this.
"You done cows and horses, ain'tcha?" Dotty quipped. " Not a damn bit of difference!"
Marlene was hurting, but not enough to fail to see a prod at herself. "Hey!"
"Sorry girl," Dotty said. "Din't mean it as a gibe, just that if he can deliver a baby horse, he can deliver a human bein'." Marlene motioned for Dotty to come closer as Doc Jenkins looked beneath her dress.
"That curly back dog is talkin' to me," she whispered to Dotty. Dotty frowned.
"Lord almighty! Easy and smokin' that wacky 'baccy to boot!" Dotty accused.
"Baby's comin'," Doc Jenkins announced. "Girl, you gotta push!"
"I AM pushin'!" Marlene panted. "If I push harder I'll break somethin'!" Marlene began to breathe faster and faster with each rapid contraction. The crowd had pretty much thinned out, after all, black girls had babies all the time; they didn't care to see it actually happen. Just then, Marlene felt a final spasm rip through her, and then the pain subsided. Doc Jenkins said that the baby was completely out. However, the looks on everybody's faces told her something was wrong.
"What is it? What's wrong with my baby?" she cried.
Dotty answered. "Well, honey, I don't know how to tell you this, but your baby's...

"...WHITE?"
" I THINK THAT WENT WELL, DON'T YOU?" God said, His gaze drifting over to the Son.
"YOU IMPREGNATED A BLACK GIRL WITH A BLUE-EYED BLOND WHITE BABY," the Son pointed out. "YOU CALL THAT WELL?"
"WHO ON EARTH WOULD BELIEVE IT WAS A MIRACLE OTHERWISE? DID YOU NOTICE THE UPDATED PORTENTS I THREW IN? VERY IMPRESSIVE, I THOUGHT. SUBTLE, BUT IMPRESSIVE NONE THE LESS."
"THE FLASHING TEXACO STAR WAS PRETTY NEAT," the Son admitted. "HOW COME YOU DIDN'T USE THE OTHERS?"
"SOUTH CAROLINA. BEST I COULD HAVE GOTTEN WAS THREE WHITE MEN BEARING GRITS."
"...AND THERE WAS PEASE AND HOMINY THROUGHOUT THE LAND..."
"THAT WAS AWFUL," God said.
"YEAH," the Son agreed.

Post Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: