Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

Hey, anyone read MORT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jim_novak

Kate R wrote:

Nice dig at the president, btw, on pg 341:

"So, from what you guys are saying, there are thousands of humans walking around without souls?"

"Millions, probably," Charlie said.

"Maybe that explains the last election," she said....

no kidding... that one made me choke on my coffee... that and the "not in the butt...not in the butt..."

damn.

wonderful stuff!!

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
Avagadro

JennyO wrote:
2) A guy has to take the place of Death while Death takes a vacation.

Piers Anthony does a similar thing in "On a Pale Horse". Its been decades, but:
The protagonist is going to shoot himself, he sees death coming through the door to get his soul and in a panic shoots death instead and then is forced to 'fill his robe'. He goes through the machinations of the position while satan plots against him.

... all written in a manner appealling to a young teen reader.

What up with all the Prachett bashing? Can't we just all get along? Good Omens was a fun read.

edit: I see someone else mentioned Pale Horse... oh well.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
jaandlu

Personally I love Pratchett. I even loved Mort. But it is not the same as ADJ at all. I think that is the only issue. Some dumbass saying that ADJ was the same as Mort. It's an insult to both authors, really.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:26 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lara

Before the signing I was telling my father about going to SF to see CM and get the book. And I told him it was a book about this guy who becomes Death or something, and he looked at me and said, "Hasn't that been done before?" and I said,

"It hasn't been done by Christopher Moore before."

That's what it's all about, folks. When someone says, "It's all been done," you reply, "it hasn't been done by me (or whoever)."

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

You know that bare naked ladies song - "it's all been done before," it's true. It has. Good way to look at it Lara.

I once saw this beautiful greeting card that had a picture of a baby on it looking all cute as babies have a way of doing, and the quote said "Show me a day when the world is not new." I liked that also. Sometimes I think about it when I get pissy or frustrated.

Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
deb

We can discover things for the first time for ourselves, but no one will ever have our same reaction or understanding of what it could possibly mean.

Post Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dr. sue

My turn, now that I have listened to most of A Dirty Job this week.

I am a huge Pratchett fan, and I have to say that ADJ is nothing like Mort. Mort is not one of my favorite Pratechett novels (for an excellent stand alone Pratchett, I suggest Small Gods), but I still can't find any commonality between it and ADJ, except that they both use the idea of a "soull collector" in the story.

All in all, that was a weird review.

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:18 am   View user's profile Send private message
JennyO

dr. sue wrote:
(for an excellent stand alone Pratchett, I suggest Small Gods)

Excellent choice, dr. sue. That one's always been my favorite too.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Joelibris

I've always liked the Granny, nanny, and Magrat books best. Which he's left to the wayside for almost 10 yrs

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:42 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dr. sue

Joelibris wrote:
I've always liked the Granny, nanny, and Magrat books best. Which he's left to the wayside for almost 10 yrs

Joe,

I read an interview where Terry said that he didn't quite know where to go with the Granny character, since she had become so powerful in the last book.

I liked them too, but I think that he has done such a great job with the Watch series, especially with Vimes, that I can't complain. I really liked Going Postal, too.

Granny does make cameo appearances in the Tiffany Aching books, though, as does nanny ogg.

JennyO, thanks for the agreement! I try to get as many people as I can to read it, I think it is a great descriptipn of how organized religion can become corrupted without any real malice.

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:04 am   View user's profile Send private message
Joelibris

Nanny Ogg makes a cameo in Thief Of Time, but I need a full book!

Post Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kar98

Re: Hey, anyone read MORT?  Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
So, this asshat on Amazon says that A Dirty Job was better the first time he read it, in Terry Pratchett's MORT. I haven't read it? Is there that big a similarity? If so, I should have a word with my editor.

Not so much like MORT, but an earlier, or possibly later, novel in the series; to wit, "Reaper Man".

Death, the capital D guy of the Discworld, is sent into retirement by Azrael, the Death of the multiverse. In need of somebody to pick up released souls, every species' creates its own personification of death. You know, like a skeletal trout fetching the souls of those insecty thingies that hover over ponds, for instance.

Since humans believe in a huge variety of death incarnates, this takes a bit longer. The "life force" of dead humans builds up; poltergeist activity, ghosts, and other paranormal stuff ensues.

Discworld's mankind finally creates a new Death. The old Death hates the new guy; they fight, uhm, to the death, as it were, and all the sub-deaths -except the death of rats who is kept on as a pet- are being re-assimilated into the one.

In other books of the series, Death adopts a daughter, and his granddaughter (daughter of the ex-apprentice Mort and said adopted daughter) inherits his powers and covers for him every now and then. And of course nobody but the recently dead, as well as wizards and cats can see either of the three while they are on duty. Neither of them had any problems with masonry or doors though. Or took a cab to get to a job. Oh, and in "Mort" he's getting lip from some orange-clad monk about not being the usual guy.

Be all of that as it may, saying ADJ is like Mort is like complaining that a vampire sucks blood because OMGZ! I've read another book and there the vampire sucks blood too! And those were both fictional books! Teh ripoff!!1

Personally, I can't stand books that can only be read once because they become stupid and trite on the second reading. Most of Pratchett's are that way. And his puns seldom are laugh-out loud funny, but "Eheheh, this is like this on the Discworld, and that's similar to something British in the real world, but you'll need fucking footnotes to get it, and btw, here's the footnote" Also, his fans make trekkies look fully capable of having a social life.

Btw, hi, y'all, I'm the new guy Cool

Post Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
LostInWalmart

Welcome.

Here's some pie. Now bend over.

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:33 am   View user's profile Send private message
Kar98

Mmmm, pie. Wait...what?

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Joelibris

LostInWalmart wrote:
Welcome.

Here's some pie. Now bend over.

LIW, that's MY line. Kar, are you ready for your free 100 point inspection?

<<<SNAP!!!>>>

Post Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: