Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

Lily
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jessika

Lenore wrote:
I have a terrible crush on Biff, and I hate to admit this, Tucker too.

Now Biff is way too young for me. So I guess I'm in the pervy club.

It sounds so silly talking about literary crushes but I heard my daughter and friends talk about Hot cartoon characters so when you put it in perspective it's not too crazy.

I had a crush on Biff and Tucker too.

Post Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
E. Q. Taft

One of the things I actually sort of object to about the AG is his penchant for creating crazy-attractive women -- not just in looks, but often in personality, too -- who wind up falling deeply in love (or at least lust) with the heroes, who are often on the nerdy/beta male-y side. I mean, Charlie Asher gets TWO such women -- Rachel, and Audrey. Tommy gets Jody. I suppose Sam in Coyote Blue isn't quite such a geek, and Calliope has, well, issues, but still. I forget the names from Fluke but the general pattern fit.

Of course there are exceptions. The relationships in the Pine Cove books seem more realistic to me, with their flaws and ups and downs and missteps, and the fact that the imperfections go both ways. And while Maggie from Lamb is somewhat in the mold of the other heroines in terms of being beautiful and smart and generally wonderful, her love for Josh is pretty much unrequited, and while Biff gets some of her love, the fact that he knows he's second choice -- but accepts it, given his own platonic love of Josh -- makes a difference.

I don't know, sometimes I just feel like false hopes are being raised, since in my own experience, the Beta Males don't always win out in the end. Or at least, some of us are getting pretty damn old waiting....
To get a little feel
of my own faulty bagnose.

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: