Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

Did I read the right book?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
jaandlu

Did I read the right book?  Reply with quote  

I was just wondering if there is another ADJ out there by a Christopher Moore because I saw another review on amazon that sounded as though the guy just had something against Chris.

Fucktard wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just didn't think it was very good. After writing a number of good books, it looks like Chris Moore is either running out of ideas or is writing them too fast.

There's a line between funny and silly, and another one between silly and just plain dumb. In Stupidest Angel, his second last, the idea that an angel could be that stupid is just, well, stupid. And in A Dirty Job, the idea that a soul could hang out in places like a CD between incarnations is even more so. True, it is comedy, so a writer has a little leeway, but there is a limit.

In A Dirty Job, the plot lurches along by fits and starts, too often predictable, and anyone who can't figure out who the big D is halfway through the book just isn't paying attention.

Moore is as funny as he ever has been when he cracks a joke, but too often he has to go too far out of his way to crack them, you can feel them coming a mile away, and they decorate a premise that's too weak to sustain anyone but a diehard fan's interest.

Too many characters are recycled from other books and their presence here is forced, especially Rivera.

He does get full marks for local color. He knows the city better than I do, and I live there, but you can't save a story with setting. It just depresses me that the rest of it isn't as good when I see that the man can play my city like a violin.

Too many deadlines for the writer coming too fast, I think. Maybe it's time for him to let a few of them go unmet.

He's a brilliant writer and a really funny guy. If he wants to get better instead of worse, I think he has to take a little more care, a little more time. I hope he does. His talent is just too great to waste like this.

Like I did my $14.97.

WTF? Please someone tell me it's okay to hate people that are this stupid. I am not a crazy that loves every single thing the AG writes. I didn't think the Goldfish thing was funny. Not everything he says is absolutely brilliant. But come on... ADJ was nothing like what fucktard here is suggesting. The only thing I can figure is that it was some guy the AG pissed off by not answering his emails that were asking the AG to go scuba diving with him. Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad Evil or Very Mad Mad

I really need to calm down but this review just pissed me off.

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
knikkki

I consider myself to be an objective fan. I really do. If I don't like something, I wouldn't be gushing about it just probalby wouldn't say anything at all. It was a great book.

Maybe it's too deep. Too smart, too emtional.

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Jo

Location: Near here, on Tuesdays, but just on the days that end with nth. Like 3nth.

I read it too Ja. But I look at it this way.

It caused me to write my review and boink Mary Sunshine right off the trampoline.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Wink Good shit don't need much defending. Cool

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lenore

I consider myself objective too and if I didn't like it I wouldn't say anything either. I could name in order my preference for Chris' books and ADJ is right close to the top.

I think we can get this review pushed down a bit if we all write a review.
I've written mine but I know there are some of us who haven't yet.

Jo has the right idea.

The farther from the top of the page the less notice it will get and that's what's important right now.

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

That's what I'm talking about right there, Jo and Lenore. We just need to knock this idiot down. It's time to call all good Divi to the aid of the party. So people who have read the book, write your reviews. If we are smart enough to do it right we can get all our reviews ready to knock out anyone who opposes the AG's book. And if we run out of reviewers we can bring in Sarah Leigh with her pica stick to deal with the rest. Twisted Evil

Post Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Joelibris

Fucktard's review of Pica Stick

The stick was nice and shiny, but just too predictable. Even bound and gagged, I knew where she was gonna hit me with it. First the back, then inner thighs and finally, my manhood(what little I have in that dept.). And the finale, the pica enema? Just plain SILLY!

0 of 3,942,002 viewers found this review helpful.

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Click

Well, I did figure out who the big "D" was on page 125, but I still liked the story. Some people just take their religious beliefs too serious. Besides, there is nothing wrong with knowing a bit more about what is going on. Saving everything for the very end is for candy and sex, not books.

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:07 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
palmer

Re: Did I read the right book?  Reply with quote  

jaandlu wrote:
I didn't think the Goldfish thing was funny...

Then you never saw Perry Mason. Wink

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:26 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

Joelibris wrote:
Fucktard's review of Pica Stick

The stick was nice and shiny, but just too predictable. Even bound and gagged, I knew where she was gonna hit me with it. First the back, then inner thighs and finally, my manhood(what little I have in that dept.). And the finale, the pica enema? Just plain SILLY!

0 of 3,942,002 viewers found this review helpful.

That's great, Joe! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kate R

I know I'm gonna get massacred, but I think there's a little seed of truth in there. Chris Moore is my favorite author, by far, and I like everything he's written (why else would I be here), but both TSA and ADJ are near the bottom of my list when I rank his books in order of my favorite.

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
jaandlu

That's okay, Kate R. KITTY!

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
jpurser

Kate R wrote:
I know I'm gonna get massacred, but I think there's a little seed of truth in there. Chris Moore is my favorite author, by far, and I like everything he's written (why else would I be here), but both TSA and ADJ are near the bottom of my list when I rank his books in order of my favorite.

Good for you. I love people willing to express an honest opinion in the face of potential flame-ination.

DUCK!!

Post Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Kianu

jaandlu wrote:

Fucktard wrote:

Like I did my $14.97.

What the Fuck?!?!?!? I paid $27 something!!! Worth every something, but hey!!!

Oh, and the guy did rightly name himself Fucktard, unless that was your designation of the guy, Ja.

I think this calls for a lynchin'. Everyone don their Art thou speaking to me, Fucktard shirts and pitchforks, and we'll hunt the rat bastardy fucktard down!! Twisted Evil

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
jaandlu

Kianu wrote:
jaandlu wrote:

Fucktard wrote:

Like I did my $14.97.

What the Fuck?!?!?!? I paid $27 something!!! Worth every something, but hey!!!

Oh, and the guy did rightly name himself Fucktard, unless that was your designation of the guy, Ja.

I think this calls for a lynchin'. Everyone don their Art thou speaking to me, Fucktard shirts and pitchforks, and we'll hunt the rat bastardy fucktard down!! Twisted Evil

I may have embellished the Fucktard part.

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:09 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
palmer

Kate R wrote:

This is not going to make me very popular around here, but then again, I'm already not very popular around here...

I loved the first chapter, as a reader and as a wannabe writer. It entertained, it intriqued, and there was something about the rhythm of it that made me want to go back and learn from it.

But I thought that the New York Times Review was pretty fair, on the whole, and there was, as you said, a seed of truth in the other one (not the Mort comparison -- that was just plain wrong).

I've bought every CM book so far, and I'll buy the next one, too, but A Dirty Job is not my favourite. They can't all be, right?

Post Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:13 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: