Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Writers' Strike - Noise

Which would you die from if writers went on strike? Petrescence of the heart or atrophy of the nervous system?
Atrophy of the nervous system
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Petrescence of the heart
28%
 28%  [ 2 ]
Both!
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Maryjane

Writers' Strike - Noise  Reply with quote  

I've finished ADJ, and have returned to what I was reading when it came out "Cat's Cradle" by Kurt Vonnegut and just came across this passage and thought "TOO TRUE"

Quote:
Young Castle called me "Scoop." "Good morning, Scoop. What's new in the word game?"
"I might ask the same of you," I replied.
"I'm thinking of calling a general strike of all writers until mankind finally comes to it's senses. Would you support it?"
"Do writers have a right to strike? That would be like the police or firemen walking out."
"Or the college professors."
"Or the college professors," I agreed. I shook my head. "No, I don't think my conscience would let me support a strike like that. When a man becomes a writer, I think he takes on a sacred obligation to produce beauty and enlightenment and comfort at top speed."
"I just can't help thinking what a real shaking up it would give people if, all of a sudden, there were no new books, new plays, new histories, new poems..."
"And how proud would you be when people started dying like flies?" I demanded.
"They'd die more like mad dogs, I think - snarling and snapping at each other and biting their own tails."
I turned to Castle the elder. "Sir, how does a man die when he's deprived of the consolations of literature?"
"In one of two ways," he said, "petrescence of the heart or atrophy of the nervous system."
"Neither one very pleasant, I expect," I suggested.
"No," said Castle the elder. "For the love of God, both of you, please keep writing!"

For the love of God Chris, keep writing before we all die of "petrescence of the heart or atrophy of the nervous system"!

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Goudron

I can't decide, there's not a n "I don't know" choice Sad

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Goudron

But they could play JD Salinger and write stuff just for their own pleasure.

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Maryjane

Hey it was my first poll. I was doing good to get those choices up there. So sorry for not giving you enough choices Gou baby.

Post Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: