Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

A Dirty Job Movie...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

sgt_steve wrote:
Oh mandi, you've been here longer than I have. You're no noob. You're just quiet and reserved.

Now get out there and prove me wrong.

sarge, you're sweet. but don't let my stats confuse you. i left and came back a few times. i'm still killing threads left and right and fuggetabout starting a thread on my own. *shudder*

lovin' your photos from the book tour, btw! thanks for all your hard work!

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:08 am   
mandi

(eeeep. that was me btw.)

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:10 am   View user's profile Send private message
UnimportantLime

mandi wrote:
i'm still killing threads left and right...
Join the club. Smile

.... Aaaaand dead. Smile

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:14 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
mandi

threadkilla champion  Reply with quote  

shoot you for it.
once, twice , three .... shoot!

Post Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
IReadLots

Re: A Dirty Job Movie...  Reply with quote  

Newbie here, hello all.

For Charlie, I keep thinking of actors that are too old to play a 30-year old. Such as:
John Cusak (you've already mentioned him)
Tom Cavanaugh (from the TV show "Ed"--the quintessential neourotic, funny, and lovable guy)
Ed Norton (amazing actor, great range, but I'm thinking of the movie "Keeping the Faith", although he was incredible in "Fight Club")

Closer to 30, I think maybe Zach Braff. Also a possibility is Topher Grace (was on "That 70's Show").

For Lily, I'm having trouble picking actual teenagers as well. But here's a good one, have you ever seen the movie "Ghost World"? Thora Birch was very good and played a very "Lily"-like character.

If age wasn't such a problem, I also like Caroline Dhavernas for Lily (she was the lead in the fabulous but cancelled TV show "Wonderfalls").

Post Fri May 05, 2006 4:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

Nice choices, UReadLots, and welcome! I have an image of Lily, and I can't place who it is (maybe I just made her up, but Thora Birch has the right look to her

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0169547/Ss/0169547/5?path=pgallery&path_key=Birch,%20Thora

I imagine Lily as being meatier though. WAIT. The image of Lily I had was the girl from Ghost World - Thora Birch. Cool.

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0162346/Ss/0162346/GW_327.jpg?path=gallery&path_key=0162346

Post Fri May 05, 2006 5:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cornman

A Dirty Job. A movie by Terry Gilliam

starring-

john cusak as charlie asher

mena suvari as lily

nick nolte as ray

sandra bernhard as jane

james hong as mrs. ling

kathy bates as mrs. korjev

don cheadle as minty fresh

robin williams as the emperor of san francisco

bruce willis as rivera

the morrigan are
susan sarandon as nemain

glen close as babd

and geena davis as macha

with christopher walken os orcus

also starring is
angelina jolie as audrey

and jennifer aniston as rachel

introducing allisyn ashley arm as sophie

***booger****stupid imdb

Post Sat May 06, 2006 10:30 am   View user's profile Send private message
8foldpath

actors  Reply with quote  

Ok, yes I would cast Cusack as Charlie, good choice, there are others but we can let that be for now. As for Minty Fresh, it CANNOT be Samuel L Jackson, unless you want him to yell through the entire movie, maybe DelRoy Lindo, I think he is very underrated when he gets a good role, his of the Angel in A Life Less Ordinary is what makes me choose him. As for Lily, I would go with teh young Anti World Character from Sisterhood fo The Travelling Pants. I sat through it with my daughter the other day and thought, "theres Lily". As for Ms. Ling, I like the old Landlady from KungFu Hustle. I really like Amy Adams for maybe Audrey/Rachel...I dont know, I maybe wrong.

And completely off subject, I have always chosen(ever since i saw the OC) Adam Brody for Biff in Lamb...I think watching him celebrate Christmasukkah and all things Jewish makes him an ideal Teenage Biff!

Post Thu May 11, 2006 8:11 am   View user's profile Send private message
Cy Guy

Re: actors  Reply with quote  

8foldpath wrote:
As for Minty Fresh, it CANNOT be Samuel L Jackson, unless you want him to yell through the entire movie

I voiced the character as Samuel L Jackson in my head, but I think he's too old for the part. A guy I think might be good at doing a Samuel L Jackson-like rendition of the character is the actor on on the new Nextel/Sprint commercial where they spin the wheel of adjectives and he exclaims in a very Samuel L Jackson-like voice "That's Fantastic" (or whatever the exclamation he exclaims is).

If you didn't want to go with a Samuel L Jackson style - then maybe the thoracic surgeon on 'Grey's Anatomy'

For Bob Wilson's voice (or perhaps the voice of the ninja squirrel if it's decided we get to hear his thought bubbles) I nominate Mike Judge, if for no other reason than including this scene in the most recent episode of 'King of the Hill'

Post Thu May 11, 2006 4:44 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
alanlyon

Ok I truly am the new guy, but that never stopped me before!

I would submit

A Dirty Job
A Peter Jackson Film

Charlie Asher – John Heder
Sophie Asher – Dakota Fanning
Lily Severo– Scarlett Johansson
Ray Macy – Thomas Hayden Church
Minty Fresh – Ving Rhames
Insp. Alphonse Rivera – Armand Asante
Jane Asher– Portia De Rossi
Audrey Rinpoche/Elizabeth Sarkoff– Rhona Mitra
The Emperor – William Sanderson
Mrs. Ling – Michelle Yeoh
Mrs. Korchev – Andrea Martin
Babd – Asia Argento
Macha – Marguerite Moreau
Nemain – Franka Potente
Orcus – Sala Baker
Cassie – Clea DuVall
Rachel Asher– Liv Tyler
Lois Asher – Diane Keaton
Buddy – Edward Asner
Vern Glover – Danny DeVito
Michael Mainhart – Charles Durning
Irene Poskovanovich – Rebecca Schull
Anton Dubois – John Rhys-Davies
Carrie Lang – Julia Sweeney
Madison McKerney – Carmen Elektra
Madeline Ally – Doris Roberts
Nick Cavuto – Tom Atkins
Three Fingered Hu – Keone Young

Heat up your imdb.com 'cause I have some obscure ones in there

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Queen Geek

Mo' movie stuff  Reply with quote  

Hey all...some great ideas for casting! I hadn't thought of Topher Grace, but he actually might be a nice choice. But Edward Norton...yeah, I could totally see him as Charlie. I still like Zooey Deschanel as both Sophie and Audrey.

Like Thora Birch. Still want Mos Def for Minty Fresh...he has some chops, and he's funny!

I saw Susan Sarandon as a Morrigan, and thought: hey, why not the O.G. witches of Eastwick? Susan, Michelle and Cher? Guess not, but kind of a funny thought.

Oh well. I just hope it gets made somewhere, sometime. I think it would make a fantastic movie. I live in California..maybe our Governator, Arnold, could get the picture made. Hey...HE could be Mrs. Wong! Or better yet, the Russian lady!

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sal

I thought Orlando Bloom would be perfect for Charlie. He's just skinny and geeky and all around a goofball.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Queen Geek

Bloomin'  Reply with quote  

Is he funny? Can he do comedy? I personally don't find him good looking at all, but I know a lot of people do. But he's kind of associated with those heart throb roles rather than humor. Can he do it? If so, I like him.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Sal

He can, he's naturally goofy and has spouted more than his share of comical lines before. Not so much in his movies (save for Elizabethtown but that sucked period) since all he really does are period pieces. I think he's pretty much type cast like that though. But I'm only 70 pages into ADJ and I just keep picturing him as Charlie.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sal

Oh yes, I also can see Charlize Theron as Jane. Completely. I think Charlize IS Jane. Not to mention Charlize has played a lesbian before.

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: