Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

A Dirty Job Movie...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Wonko

Tim bar Levi wrote:
i guess i am just too liberal to comprehend someone picketing a theater over a comedy...

I remember all the protests and picketing of the movie Monty Python's Life of Brian, and they specifically put a very reverential depiction of Jesus in the movie in order to say: "See we're not making fun of Jesus!" and the mainstream religions were much more liberal at that time than they are now.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that it's blasphemous to mix religion with humor, no matter how carefully inoffensive the humor might be.

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:33 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Joelibris

As Kevin Smith put it "How can people want to protest a movie with a rubber poop monster in it?"

Post Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FattyFattyPorkFace

It's amazing how much people defend the freedom of speech until it is being used to say things they don't want to hear.

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mllefifi

I remember when Durang's play "Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All For You" was picketed.

In any case, its doubtable that most people who protest these kinds of things actually SEE, HEAR, or READ the whole of the "offensive" material in question. Rolling Eyes

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:30 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Laveric

Joelibris wrote:
As Kevin Smith put it "How can people want to protest a movie with a rubber poop monster in it?"

I see someone else saw An Evening With Kevin Smith 2. Smile

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Joelibris

Saw it? I bought it the day it came out.

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:34 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Laveric

Joelibris wrote:
Saw it? I bought it the day it came out.

I do believe the best part is him talking about his daughter's swearing. Now that would have been a fun scene to put into ADJ. Saying kitty for a half hour.... Smile

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Tim bar Levi

Wonko wrote:
Tim bar Levi wrote:
i guess i am just too liberal to comprehend someone picketing a theater over a comedy...

I remember all the protests and picketing of the movie Monty Python's Life of Brian, and they specifically put a very reverential depiction of Jesus in the movie in order to say: "See we're not making fun of Jesus!" and the mainstream religions were much more liberal at that time than they are now.

Some people seem to be of the opinion that it's blasphemous to mix religion with humor, no matter how carefully inoffensive the humor might be.

well...in Life Of Brian the crucifiction scene probably caused a stir when they were singing "Life's a piece of shit...when you look at it" and whistling away...hilarious...but i was pretty old when that movie came out and i do not recall picketing of theaters...and Lamb does not really slam Catholics or Jews...well...maybe Jews a little

Post Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Wonko

mllefifi wrote:
I remember when Durang's play "Sister Mary Ignatius Explains It All For You" was picketed.

In any case, its doubtable that most people who protest these kinds of things actually SEE, HEAR, or READ the whole of the "offensive" material in question. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing "I just sent him to heaven!"Laughing Laughing

When we did "Sister Mary..." in college, our state representative (who admitted she knew nothing about the play, but someone told her it was offensive to Catholics) sent letters to the college president, the dean of fine arts and the department head telling them to cut the show from the season. All three answered with very long letters that basically said: "absolutely not!" So she called for a boycott and picketing of the performances. That was the only show that year that was sold out for every performance. Razz

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:19 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jeanette

Some ideas for ADJ.

Charile - Greg Kinnear
Lily - Rinko Kikuchi, from Babel, or a look alike
The Emperor - Kelsey Grammer
Minty Fresh - Denzel Washington or Chris Rock
Jane - Hillary Swank
Special Effects - whoever did "Over the Hedge".

About Lamb: I think Dane Cook as Josh. I live in the south. Believe me. We don't let people get away with the God ticket. There would be another group picketing right next to the protesters. I am respectful of all religions, but, if a movie is playing that I want to see and someone stands in my way, they better have a better reason than "God told me to do it." People sometimes do stupid things when they think God is talkin' to 'em".
Here we go again with church and state. When will that ever end?

Post Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
jstevens

Kareem could pull off Minty no problem. Haven't you seen Airplane? or his film debut with Bruce Lee? He'd be able to fight people really well, plus he's got the deadpan of minty nailed. And John Lithgow is still the man for the Emperor.

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Joelibris

Michael Clarke Duncan is getting really trimmed up..maybe he knows something we don't...

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Wonko

Joelibris wrote:
Michael Clarke Duncan is getting really trimmed up..maybe he knows something we don't...

He does have that "crescent moon smile"

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
VulgarAngel

Charlie - you could always go with the OG of Beta Males: Anthony Michael Hall. Once a geek, always a geek. Or Matt Damon.

Jane - Joey Lauren Adams, perhaps?

Rachel - Maybe Sara Silverman?

Minty Fresh - Michael Clark Duncan. Just because he's big, bad ass looking, yet has this pimpness to him that i don't really see in anyone else except Samuel L. Jackson (he would be my second choice). Third choice would be Ving Rhames.

Ms. Ling - Alex Borstein. Sure, she's a Jewess, but she can pull off the little psycho Asian lady, no problem.

Lily - maybe Alexis Bledel.

The Emperor - No one is screaming "Crazy old Coot", yet. Maybe Martin Sheen. I'll have to give this one a little more thought.

That's all I've got for now...

Post Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:17 am   View user's profile Send private message
Snark_Monster_of_Death

Woohoo here goes my posting cherry. I have to agree with AG that though he'd be great John Cusack is just too old. Personally when I was reading ADJ I kept seeing Charlie as a Martin Freeman style beta male but Topher Grace could work quite nicely as well. Zack Braff can't act enough to pull this off IMO. The only other person I could really see doing it justice is Sam Rockwell - he's got the comic timing and ability to geek out nailed.

I'd probably have to second John Lithgow as The Emperor that'd just be too funny for words and Eva Green would be an interesting Audrey. The only other roles I really gave a lot of thought to were the Asian Superpowers - Margaret Cho as Mrs Ling and Alex Borstein as Mrs. K.

Ooooh...I had a brainstorm as the Hot Fuzz trailer wizzed by...Simon Pegg as Charlie.

Post Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: