Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

How much per day?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
nallard

How much per day?  Reply with quote  

So how much do all you guys write per day? Are you on the Hemmingway path (spend all day working on one sentence) or the Ben Bova (a book every 24 hours)?

I'm talking first draft here rather than polished material.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

When I write, I write somewhere between 500 and 2000 words in a sitting.

A sitting lasts between 1 and 2 hours and is usually in the evening.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Naked and Famous

I think I'm going at the Hemmingway speed.

Actually, when I sit down and do it I write for about an hour, and try to do 1000 words. I try to write every day, but sometimes I get busy with my job, kids, and being distracted by the Internet so I don't.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

I try to write 1000 words a day. Some days that takes and hour or two, some days it takes all day.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Of course, I never claimed that what I wrote had any quality to it. And I struggle to write every day. Sometimes I need a day or two to refill the inspiration tanks.

Post Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Vahlee

I usually wrote 2000-2500 words a day. That's was in three sittings because I wrote one section at a time. Averaged about 700-750 words a sitting. Or course I typed mine, didn't write it out by hand unless I was at my parents'.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rizak the Really Horrible

MADE TO FEEL UNWELCOME

Last edited by Rizak the Really Horrible on Mon May 15, 2006 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:17 am   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

My goal is 1,000 words a day. I'm averaging 1,000 words per month right now.

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lisa M

I try to do four pages a day -- in long hand. This equates to roughly a thousand words.

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:45 am   View user's profile Send private message
Boota

I generally write between 1,500 and 2,000 at a sitting. I write by scenes most of the time, and I usually never leave a scene unfinished.

Post Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Taco Bob

I won't even try unless I'm rested and at my best. Like FFPF sez, about 1-2 hrs in the evening.
Evening is my peak time and if I get a chance to work on writing during the day, it's just editing. I'd rather spend one hour writing keepers than three hours writing crap I'm going to end up tossing.
Since I'm working the day job full time (and weekends) now, my words per day = 0

Post Mon May 01, 2006 3:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

The last two mornings I tried to get up, hit the treadmill, and then write over the morning cup of coffee. Flat failure. Exercise yes, write failed. Just stared at the screen as if my IQ had dropped to room temperature.

But curiously, having made the decision to write I felt guilty and wound up writing for an hour both evenings. This produced about 750 words a night. OK, fine, I'll go with the flow.

Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
earthshoes

About a 1000 a day. Sometimes more, sometimes a little less. I can turn out a 1000 in less than two hours (often just an hour), which works well with my schedule---work, kids, homeschooling etc.

While writing Witness Tree, near the end, for several weeks I came to a full stop for reasons I'm still not clear about and used the time to edit earlier scenes, fixing plot conflicts, etc. When I did sit down to finish it, i wrote about five thousand words a day over about three days. I was on "vacation" in Montana with no kids, no internet, no phone calls from work. I think I'll do this during the next book as well.

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:27 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ideas_are_bulletproof

My goal has been to write for at least an hour a day...this can give me anything from one sentence to pages of work depending on the day. I think I might try writing 500 or 1000 words/day instead, even if it isn't great writing, maybe I'll get more ideas.

Post Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:06 am   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
A.J. Roberts

I write in fits and starts, some days I can only get 500 down if that at all. Others I can do in excess of 5000.

Tonight I wrote 4000+ words for the beginning of a new story.

It really depends on what I'm writing about and how I'm feeling Smile

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: