Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Hey Knikkki!

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kate R

Hey Knikkki!  Reply with quote  

I do believe that you said in the AG's writer's workshop post that you've written several books?!?!?

Just want to say WOW! Congratulations! And also, would you like to share anything about that? What they're about (in a general sense) how it was for you, etc? I know it's always interesting to hear that sort of stuff, but if you don't want to that's perfectly fine.

Anyone else written books? Besides Boota, Taco Bob, and Queen Geek?

We seem to have a lot of writers (and wanna-be writers *shamefully raises hand as I have never actually finished much*) on this board.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 1:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Rizak the Really Horrible

MADE TO FEEL UNWELCOME

Last edited by Rizak the Really Horrible on Mon May 15, 2006 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu May 04, 2006 2:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

Yeah, i've written two.

my first book is being published later in the year. I'll post more about it later. Running late. Thanks for asking!

Post Thu May 04, 2006 3:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

Wow.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 4:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
knikkki

OK ... I had to run to Pilates.

All my life I wanted to write a novel. For years, the most I could come up with was a short story.

This is how my first novel came to be:

I wrote my lover a letter, and the letter was so good I decided base a short story out of it.

I was really trying to understand how my lover (I have to call him that because boyfriend doesn't apply, and it's ... well, you know) got so SCREWED UP that he could not in any way have a normal relationship. So I took the short story which was 18 pages and turned it into a 300 page novel. I made him a prince and wrote a childhood for him, and a family dynamic, and then basically I fictionalized the (at the time) six years of our relationship. By the end of writing the novel I was pretty sure I knew why he was so screwed up.

It was all the shit his fictional mother did to him.

The novel was a catharsis. It was serious, not funny, and maybe good maybe not, I don't remember. But, it showed me that I could write a novel.

The second book, All Encompassing Trip, started because I was having some CRAZY dreams and I felt like there was too much creativity to waste, so I worked it into a novel. And that's the one that's getting published.

In both cases, I had a start and an end but very few parts for the middle. The writing process for me is almost automatic. Like, I sit there, and suddenly these words and stories have poured out.

It's a strange and amazing process.

I'll post my synopsis in another thread. i haven't done that yet.

Post Thu May 04, 2006 5:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kate R

That's awesome! Especially that you're getting published, although art for art's sake is too often undervalued. When is it coming out?

Post Thu May 04, 2006 11:46 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
knikkki

supposed to be toward the end of the year. We'll see.

Post Fri May 05, 2006 7:01 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Beta Male Mike

Congrats on the published novel Knikkki.

Post Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Regina

Woo Hoo! Congrats!

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

Thanks ... Let me tell you, it is a LONG and WINDING road. That leads me back ... well, to writers block.

Post Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Regina

Just say no to writer's block

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 5:22 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Does a successfully defended 1300-page doctoral dissertation count as a book? Cool

Just wonderin'... Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
knikkki

mllefifi wrote:
Does a successfully defended 1300-page doctoral dissertation count as a book? Cool

Just wonderin'... Rolling Eyes

I would think so! Jeez..... find out how to query non-fiction and get that bad boy out there.

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: