Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Gay Pride Parade
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Kate

Gay Pride Parade  Reply with quote  

I thought the brown one should have been bigger.

(Rest up and be well author guy.)

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:23 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Okay, that cracked me up. Thanks.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:37 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Tal

I was going to say something tasteless about the whole lesbian drummers thing but couldn't bring myself to make such an obnoxious joke. Wink So I'll instead voice my complaint that you didn't take a picture of the front of the brunette girl in the red bikini top and jeans on the Yoga float. Unless she was really a he and then I'm glad that you didn't take a frontal shot. If that is indeed the case then you Author Guy are a hero because you saved me from washing my eyes out with bleach. *raises a glass* To our hero! Wink Very Happy

Edit: I should have said that I found that Blog entry very funny. Smile

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:31 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lauren

So glad I saw it from home...  Reply with quote  

I'm very glad I checked the board from home Monday. The entry was great, totally cracked me up, as were the pics, but how would I have explained the giant waving wangs to my boss had I been checking from work? "Um, yeah, this isn't what it looks like. Well, actually, it's exactly what it looks like, being two people dressed up as parts of the male anatomy, but it's not what you think. Well, maybe it is. Um, how about I just get back to work?"

The scary thing is I think I recognized the street in the San Francisco pictures from playing Midtown Madness 2. (Driving games rock.)

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:54 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Lib

Gay Parade  Reply with quote  

Sorry Chris, I was just over come.
I'm from the midwest and we don't have them that size here. Gee.

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:00 am   View user's profile Send private message
chelle

Read it at work and giggle snorted so much that my co-workers came to see what was up. Some just went, "oh, she is reading that Moore guys page again." My "clear" friend died laughing reading the entry. BTW He wanted to know if the Author Guy is single. I told him no but he is an optimist and wanted me to pass on if AG is ever on the East coast again he is more than welcome to look him up Wink

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
earthshoes

Not sure what was safe to say. We live in the Midwest--aka the Bible Belt--things in general are more subdued here. However, I had to hide the screen from my kids while I read it out loud to my husband who has been in San Francisco during the Gay Pride parade; he especially loved the "clear" jokes.

Last edited by earthshoes on Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Robb

Oh yeah, this was just the thing to show the guys in my office. "Hey guys quit cleaning those weapons and check out the pictures of gay pride week here..." Um...Sarge?..." Don't ask don't tell...right...Oy.

It was funny as hell though, and yes I wouldn't have minded pictures of hot chicks that were there because I wouldn't care abut their orientation. And think of the lines you could have used.
"Excuse me ma'am, but could you and your friend there pose for a quick one for the boys overseas? They like that sort of thing."
You coulda lined em up. Then they could have asked you back to their place for some intimate photos calling their bisexual cheerleader friends who would of course be inclined to get nekkid and

OK Been away too long, sex is a misdemeanor folks, de more I miss de meaner I get...

Post Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
jeannie

It was very very funny. What could we possibly say?

Post Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Okay, you're off the hook. I was just thinking that I'd either offended someone or you guys were just being passive weenies...

I'll take down the whining post now.

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:08 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
john palmer

gay 'pride'?  Reply with quote  

Okay, this is going to seriously pissed some people off, but...

Gay 'pride'? I don't get it. What's to be so proud of?

Being a child of the sixties, having come of age when 'tolerance' was a byword, and many of us -- long-haired freaky people -- were both tolerant, and to be honest, mildly intolerable -- it would do my baby-boomer heart (now a hoary old 54 years of age) to be supportive of the whole "gay" thing (dictionary-based quibbles aside). And, oh yes, my best friend from high-school died a few years ago of AIDS, and my nephew is gay, and I love(d) them both. Then there's the trans-sexual down the street...

But no, I'm not "gay" myself.

Notwithstanding all of the above, I can not, even after thirty some odd years of trying to do otherwise, come to any other conclusion than that homosexuality represents "somnething gone wrong". Seriously! Can there be any doubt about what the basic equipment is designed to do? Really?

Whether the "something gone wrong" is physiological, hormonal, genetic, psychiatric, or _________ (fill in the blank yourownself), it has surely "gone wrong". What's there to be proud of in that?

Personally, my eyes are screwed up. Something "went wrong". I have lazy eye, astigmatism, near-sightedness, and nistagmus (I'm not sure of the spelling of that one). It's either genetic or a result of a serious fall my mother had during pregnancy -- she's not around for me to ask anymore. Whatever it was, I don't think I'll be getting in any parades about it.

Gay 'pride'? Sorry, but I don't see it.

Okay, let me have it...

John Palmer

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 10:31 am   
Tal

Re: gay 'pride'?  Reply with quote  

john palmer wrote:

Notwithstanding all of the above, I can not, even after thirty some odd years of trying to do otherwise, come to any other conclusion than that homosexuality represents "somnething gone wrong". Seriously! Can there be any doubt about what the basic equipment is designed to do? Really?

Whether the "something gone wrong" is physiological, hormonal, genetic, psychiatric, or _________ (fill in the blank yourownself), it has surely "gone wrong". What's there to be proud of in that?

Personally, my eyes are screwed up. Something "went wrong". I have lazy eye, astigmatism, near-sightedness, and nistagmus (I'm not sure of the spelling of that one). It's either genetic or a result of a serious fall my mother had during pregnancy -- she's not around for me to ask anymore.

Okay, let me have it...

John Palmer

If you take it from a perfectly behavorial standpoint then nothing has gone wrong as homosexuality exists in nature. If you're talking from a reproductive standpoint the mechanism still exists to provide for the continuation of the species. Gay people are just as prone to be struck by the urge to have offspring of their own as straight people. Some feel the need and either reproduce or adopt, some don't.

If you're talking morally, well then, I won't be a-touching that one with a ten foot pole. So before those who may be inclined to say that it is forbidden by [insert deity of choice here] I am already stating that it is not my desire to get into a moral debate on the subject of homosexuality. I will just state my opinion that the ban on homosexuality in the Christian bible is not the word of god but something inserted by man because homosexuality was common place in ancient Rome. And I shan't be saying anything more on that score. I believe what I believe and no amount of talk will change it. Smile

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Myself, being a male and fancying women, I donít have a problem with homosexuality. I think that whatever people do is there own business.

What I donít like are the parades. I honestly donít think it is a very festive thing to hook up a wagon to a tractor and ride through town and then to top it all off, decorate the wagon with odd embellishments. It is very strange to me.

People will take any excuse to ride on a wagon or walk through town.
Have all the pride you want but stop the parades. I could do without Snoopy floating down fifth but it would be interesting if they had him and Garfield handcuffed to the Empire State Building with Lucy acting as a dominatrix. That would be an interesting parade, something instead of tractors and people strutting down the street with the locals sitting in lawn chairs watching.

Not everyone loves a parade.

Ta.

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hillary

Gay Pride Rant. God I love ranting. It's so much fun.  Reply with quote  

My dad's gay. After mom and dad broke up, Dad took his time edging lil 13 year old me into the idea that he fell in love with another guy. I had *THE* hardest time with it for about, oh, a year. But I love my dad, so I got over it real quick.

Now I have about 4 trillion gay friends and love them all. Don't have a problem with it. There's so much hate in the world, how the hell can I point the finger at someone and say "HEY YOU! STOP IT! LOVE IS WRONG UNLESS YOU DO IT THE NORMAL/SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE/MY WAY!" Whatever guise people choose to shack up, or find happiness, go nuts. Whether that's with a partner of the same sex, or whether that's basting themselves in peanut butter and standing on their porch naked. S'all good in my book.

Now my thoughts on the parade deal:

I myself don't like parades. However . . . being from MA, this has always been a big goddamn deal. We have the Irish Parade in South Boston. It pretty much represents Irish men and women in their various glories. Irishmen who hop. Irishmen who clog dance. Irishmen campers. Irishmen show ponies . . . you catch my drift. They all march, and it's all boring, and everyone drinks green beer and ignores whoever is walking by.

A few years back gay Irishmen were told they couldn't march. I've seen them march here before, by the way, and it's NOT the sex freak/outlandish/pink fairy float that everyone believes. It's a lot less exciting than that. Anyway, they were told "No - Out of Luck" because of ONE bad incident from a previous year. The other less exciting years meant nothing in comparison. End result was they were banned. Now all of a sudden, they WANT to piss off Boston, and they show up in stereotype gear - flaming like pillars of fire. But it was ONLY after they were told 'No'.

My point . . . if I can watch a bunch of boring Irish Bingo Players walk behind a banner, why should I care if that banner says "Gay rights" instead? I bet if the bingo players screwed up one year and insulted people, they'd be forgiven. But not the gay man or woman.

Now you bring up the SF Parade, which isn't *as* politically charged, right? Right. Okay . . . from everything I've heard, it's a blast. Its entire PURPOSE is to be fun. If you don't want that type of fun, don't go. Sometimes, there are venues of entertainment people don't choose to see. This might not be your cup of tea. So just . . . stay home. And if it comes on tv, turn the channel. Honestly, you don't see too many venues tailored for the gay community. I don't understand why we should deny them their one? And then ask 'OH GOD WHY DO THEY HAVE TO DO THAT' with a groan? They haven't got anything else that's theirs for Christ's sake!

Last thought . . . the gay person of the 2000's has a lot of reason to speak out/march/claim their time in the sun. With bills in Congress that are anti-gay marriage, public awareness is at a pivotal point. They've won a lot of acceptance over the years, but they've got a long way to go.

Go gay folks.

And that's all I'm saying.

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:48 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

I am not mocking the Gay Pride Parade. I simply donít like parades. If gay people wanted to march up and down the street, I donít really care, it is fine with me. I would rather see people promoting pride in themselves than celebrating winning war or some other stupid thing that most people think we need parades for. Do we need to sit around and watch people working on Thanksgiving when they should be at home with their families, like Scrooge (a movie with Bill Murray)?

People should be let alone to what they want to do. I even think that gay people should be allowed to get married. Now, isnít that something to march for? If two people want to marry then they should be allowed to, no questions asked. God shouldnít care who marries who as long as they love each other and are happy.

ĎďHomosexuality represents "something gone wrongĒí

Creativity represents something gone wrong but I donít see anyone getting upset about that. Writing is probably the most schizophrenic for all art forms but no one is too bothered by a writer, unless it is Al Franken. Bill OíRielly is an ass. I sit down and write my book I am working on and no one is there to say that this is wrong. I think it is a completely F#$%ed thing that I can sit down and write about people that do not exist, only in my head. How screwy is that?

Music is something that is even stranger. Where do these sounds come from and why do we make them up? If there is someone out there that knows, donít tell me because I donít want some science ass mucking with my idea of the beauty of music. Painting and writing have at least some basis on reality but music is just there like a gift. Some paintings can be very strange though.

Nothing has gone wrong because we all have something gone wrong with all of us. Normal people are the ones that are F#$%ed, because they don't know that there is something wrong with them.
Ta.

Post Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: