Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Fish Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Elliot

chris wrote:
Excellent endings HiLL, L. I'm so proud of you. It would have been so much better if they'd left you guys in bowl outside my door. You know, except for the suffocation and lack of personal space and stuff...

Nevermind.

I can see it now, Me stuffed into a medium sized fishbowl with no space to move. Just enough so I can tap my finger on the glass. *dink* *dink* *dink* help me *dink* *dink* *dink*

L

My Twitter is twittering!

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:41 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jeannie

I understand how you can get attached to little creatures. I noticed a bug about 1/4 inch long in a cherry just before I was about to eat it. He was poking out his tiny head from a tiny little hole. I almost didn't notice him but something made me stop and have a closer look. He came all the way out, looked around and then went back in. Anyway, that cherry is still in a cup on my desk at work. I gave him some lettuce from my lunch to munch on just in case he tired of the cherry. Yeah, I'm attached. I do wonder if I would have noticed or tasted him had I eaten the cherry. Ich. I'm glad I'll never know.
j

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:11 am   View user's profile Send private message
jeannie

Mark Twain -

"This made her sorry for the creatures which live in there, which she calls fish, for she continues to fasten names on to things that don't need them and don't come when they are called by them, which is a matter of no consequence to her, as she is such a numbskull anyway; so she got a lot of them out and brought them in last night and put them in my bed to keep warm, but I have noticed them now and then all day, and I don't see that they are any happier than they were before, only quieter."

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:45 am   View user's profile Send private message
Hillary

Oooh. Twain. Good one.

How about . . .

George Orwell . . . The fish is actually a representation of the upper tier, elite class. The relationship between him and Chris is Orwell's own commentary on society. The oppression of men at the hands of their government is the most prominent theme. The end result of the tale is that Chris feels an inexplicable desire to scream at the fish for two minutes of hate every day or so.

Post Sun Jul 04, 2004 2:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Elliot

Carl Hiassen . . . the goldfish is just a ploy to get the famous writer to publish an article in the paper about the fish's symbolic way of life. The fish Dies, you die.

Joss Whedon . . . The fish is actually a small demon. The demon has a small chip in his head that forces him to be cordial and cute so when he's taken away the host of this parasitic relationship is overwhelmed with greif.

L

My Twitter is twittering!

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:23 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lauren

Robert Jordan: for the first week, the fish is absolutely fascinating - it's doing all sorts of amazing things in the bowl and you just can't stop watching. Then, around the 8th day you notice that it's not quite as active, but still fun. Somewhere on day 9, it either grows braids upon which it tugs a lot, or smooths its gills all the time (if female). If male, it will lament that it doesn't know nearly as much about lady fish as its friends, or just mope about the bowl pining for his lost ladyfish without really trying to get out of the bowl and help her.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 11:52 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
aiki

How about Tolkein: Each fish in it's bowl joins together into a piscine fellowship and together embark on a grand adventure to return the bowls into the fire in which they were created by the evil glass blower.
or Hawking: In the world of quantum fishing a fish can tunnel through space time by biting onto a wormhole and appear outside the doors of unsuspecting authors. This technology may appear as magic to those unschooled in quantum fishics.

This is my first post so allow me to apologize in advance of any replies.
Just finished Fluke this a.m. and loved it. (Lamb still my fav though due to my being a recovering catholic)
Jim
ps. how do you put the pics up on the top left?

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 2:40 pm   
Sara Leigh

You have to register to have an avatar. Did you register yet? I think the FAQ explains about avatars.

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
aiki14

Tnx, done
Jim

Post Mon Jul 05, 2004 3:19 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lara

Tom Robbins  Reply with quote  

Tom Robbins~

This is the hall of the goldfish wallpaper. The lamb-kinese hotel you once thought a mere invention of sake and smoking undergarments, laden with the spilled waters of the Nile, complete with crocodile. This is the stream where your wisest ancestor was spawned, be you carp, trout, or cod.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:25 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ken
Site Admin

Blind Cherry Pickens
You left the fish outside my door
You left the fish outside my door
But when I went outside to get it
The hall was empty and fish poor

I wish the fish were back here
I wish the fish were back here
Wonder if the guy next door found him
And fried that fish up with some beer

Whoooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa---
fish blues
whooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa----
fish blues

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:13 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Lib

clap, clap, clap

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Sara Leigh

What you meant to do  Reply with quote  

snap, snap, snap

Post Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Lib

Different Drummer  Reply with quote  

Thought about snap, snap, snap...but I can't get my fingers to work with gloves on (it's cold in the office). Confused

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:25 am   View user's profile Send private message
Kurt

Some Science Fishin  Reply with quote  

Frank Herbert ... The goldfish, transfered from Caladan to the fief on Arrakis, secure in it's stillsuit, uses his rhythmic dancing skills to catch Shai'Hulud ... showing you can use fish to catch worms ... on a desert world.

Robert Heinlein ... from The Goldfish is a Harsh Mistress ... (sorry I haven't [yet] read *The Moon is a Harsh Mitress*, you get warmed over Goldie Valentine Smith.) Having been rescued from the tragic mission to Mars, he becomes a cult hero causing a liberal approach to aquarium mangement and funding ... in other words, the fish are each given a wet bar, can get tattoos, and all the kelp they can grok. One does not share water lightly.

Robert Rankin ... The goldfish is stolen away by Mr Paul, the pet-shop owner to be gene-spliced with a chipmonk, to make a smaller but equally skiddish furry fish capable of hibernation in the summer, the "result" dines on golfballs and nuts but at the local putt-putt center. The previous attempt was a trout with a squirrel that lived at the local public golf course, biting the tires off golfcarts and Buicks.

John Gardner ... he wrote a couple James Bond novels (and died in an accident on his motorcycle) ... as Mr. Bond flies on the Concord, he is offered Goldfish snack crackers. He uses the odd taste as a pick-up line to the flight attendant, "You can tune a piano, but you shouldn't try it with these crackers."

Of course what I believed happen ... the fish down the hallway, seeing the the fish outside CM's door was apparently ailing, so the aggressor took the high arcing dive, and in one motion, also ate the "occupant" outside of CM's door in one motion ... knowing that even a marginally alive goldfish still taste better than a floater with clouded eyes (cannibalism aside). And being the voracious and agressive fish that he was (or perhaps still is) he moved on to the next bowl, leaving a mystery ... and a little splash behind.

Post Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:06 pm   
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: