Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> News and Noise

Style over substance?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mac or PC?
Mac Laptop
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
PC Laptop
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Mac Desktop
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
PC Desktop
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 11

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
nallard

Style over substance?  Reply with quote  

So I'm about ready to get a new computer and once again I'm faced with a dilema. Do I get a Mac with it's sleek styling or do I go for a PC with it's easy customization and versitility? Then once I decide that I have to think on whether I want a desktop or laptop?

Once I went with Mac and was sorely let down, but now my new Mac could run windows. Still it won't run it as well as a similarly priced PC. So I come to you seeking guidance. I know there are adherents of both religions on this board. What do you suggest? Regale me with your words of wisdom.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:37 am   View user's profile Send private message
deb

Let me just clear the way for the age-old "mac versus PC" debate that is about to ensue.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:40 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
knikkki

I'm becoming convinced that laptops are a pain in the ass. Yes, there are times you need them, but for durability the desktop is the way to go.

I, personally, am a Sony Betamax user. Smile

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:45 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lloydface

PC. No question. But i do so moestly because i love to play PC games that you cant get on consoles, mostly RTS games and decent RPGs. I like PCs. Always have, always will. My mind is quite firmly closed on the issue. Get a desktop pc. do it now. Very Happy

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:46 am   View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
JennyO

Here's my answer: It depends.

What do you use it for? I really can't answer you without knowing that. I've used both Macs and PCs and like them both for different reasons.

At the moment, I have a Mac laptop. Before that, I had an HP laptop. I much prefer laptops, but that's because I tend to use mine all over the house and don't want to be tied to a single room.

I love how easy the Mac was to set up on my wireless network. It was easier than setting up my husband's XP. But that may have changed over the past three years or so, and XPs may be easy now too.

Honestly, I could use and be happy with either, but I do really like this little Mac. As far as PCs go, we've had extremely good luck with Dells. Not so much with HP.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

I can only address mac, as that's all we've used since upgrading from our commodore and sony machines back in 1990.

BootCamp on mac allows you to run natively in Windows on its own partition so there is no performance hit as there was in emulation. Some are using linux in place of windows, though I haven't paid much attention to that.

The Macbook and Macbookpro are both nice little machines. But you need to get the bigger hard drives to accomodate both the mac and Windows partitions. Don't buy the black macbook - the premium price for the black case is just stupid.

The only Macintel desktop models available right now are the mini and the imac. The towers aren't due until September/October.

The imac is a very good all around machine. The mini is cheap because it doesn't have a separate video chip. If you're doing any graphic intensive work, you'll be disappointed with the mini.

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
nallard

I sense expertise in your comments Ginjg. What is this tower of which you speak? Should I wait for the tower? I can wait until October.

I mostly use my computer for writing and the internet, though I do play games sometimes (which is the only reason I would use Bootcamp). I have dreams of doing movies or something to do with my photography...though I just can't give up my darkroom. The fixer smells like vanilla, but it's probably giving me cancer.

I like the whole Mac interface, but I hate Safari...whoever developed that should be taken out back and shot. I'm torn.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:58 am   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

Oh and something important ... if you decide to get a laptop really research the battery life issue. I called Sony to complain about my battery not lasting the advertised 2 hours, and (which is NOT ENOUGH TIME!) and they said that's two hours if the computer is just sitting there.

Very handy.

Batteries with more power are over $200.00

Bastards.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:58 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

Unless you need the portability, go with a desktop. I vote Mac because it's been very reliable for me. I rarely have downtime because of system problems and have never had a virus. If you're planning on running it as a Windows machine, then you lose the virus immunity provided by the Mac OS, or so I've been told. For a debate on the relative merits of Windows machines vs. Macs, please go to Politics.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sara Leigh

nallard wrote:
I like the whole Mac interface, but I hate Safari...whoever developed that should be taken out back and shot. I'm torn.

We must have been posting simultaneously.

You don't have to use Safari. Firefox is free and many people swear by it. I use it if I'm having a problem with a site. I like Safari, which is why I'm staying with it for now. I may have to move to Firefox though.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ginjg

nallard wrote:
I sense expertise in your comments Ginjg. What is this tower of which you speak? Should I wait for the tower? I can wait until October.

I mostly use my computer for writing and the internet, though I do play games sometimes (which is the only reason I would use Bootcamp). I have dreams of doing movies or something to do with my photography...though I just can't give up my darkroom. The fixer smells like vanilla, but it's probably giving me cancer.

Firefox is a great browser.

The tower will replace the G5 tower and is rumored to have 2 dual cores in some configurations. They're going to be the focus at WWDC in August. This usually means public announcement in early September and shipping early October. We're babying along our machines until February the second gen towers.

And the windows viruses can only affect the windows parttion, the mac partition remains pristine. So use your WinCondom Wink

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
travist

i prefer the good ole abacus

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Dave

Re: Style over substance?  Reply with quote  

nallard wrote:
Then once I decide that I have to think on whether I want a desktop or laptop?

There's UMPC to consider, too..

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
nallard

travist wrote:
i prefer the good ole abacus

I actually have an antique abacus. It's 17th century chinese. I got it as a graduation gift.

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

nallard wrote:

You can use Firefox on the Mac and most savy Mac users I know do.

If you really like computer games, a windows machine is better.

If you are buying a desktop, buy a windows machine. I've had good luck with Dell, your milage may vary. (I've built my last three from Shuttle boxes, and they rock, but it doesn't sound as if you're ready for that.)

Laptop your only machine? The new Macbooks are really cool, but forget about any gaming at all. They just don't have the video ram. You'll also want to add another 500mbs of ram if you're going to run Windows on them. (MacBook Pros are exhorbitantly expensive. I haven't heard anything about running Windows-based games on them yet.) That said, my IBM Thinkbook has crap video memory too, but it weighs 3lbs and has an 8 hour battery life, so if you want a machine to work on, and travel with, that's a good choice. The Thinkpad was easier to configure than our Ibook, but that may because I'm more familiar with Windows. For writing and internet, there's no discernable difference, except my IBM was more expensive.

Windows Vista will be out in February. The interface is almost identical to OS -X, so if that's your tipping point, go with that. The Mac tower will be their desktop. It will, undoubtedly be blindingly fast, but also, if history is any indication, it will be very expensive. The Mac Mini is, very simply, overpriced.

Bottom line: You can get a Windows desktop with a flat panel monitor that will do everything you need it to do for under $1000. There is freeware or shareware for nearly every application available for Windows machines. (There may also be for Mac, I don't know. We do run Open Office on our Mac instead of MS Office and that saves about $200.00 off the bat.)

Windows laptops are perhaps 20% cheaper than MacBooks for similar features. MacBooks have great battery life, are reasonably light and reasonably durable. The new ones are fast (and hot, temperature-wise, not astectically) but they don't come stock with enough memory.

I wouldn't try to make a laptop do it all, under any circumstances, or any brand. Laptops that can handle gaming typically weigh 9lbs and have battery life of one hour (when under load -- as they say).

If you're going to work and surf the internet of the machine, maybe watch movies occasioinally, the MacBooks have a lot going for them. I'd buy one.

If you want to game, you have to go with a Windows machine at this point. They don't make a Mac yet that can handle the frame rates of of the action games. (But check reveiws. As I said, the MacBook Pro might be able to do it, and you'll be able to heat the room with it as well, which is a big bonus. )

(If you buy a Windows machine, be sure that it says "Vista Ready" on it. That way you know it will handle the new operating system. Also get the capability to put in at least a Gigabite of memory.)

Post Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: