Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Outline Program For Mac?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chris
Site Admin

Outline Program For Mac?  Reply with quote  

Hey kids. You've seen my posts about the outline program I use on Windows. It's a tree-based text outline that stores text on a hierarcheal "tree" that you can click to open a given note

So, any of you Mac users seen anything similar to that?

I don't know if you'll be able to see it, but it looks like this:

http://picasaweb.google.com/The.Ubertard/ActionOutlineScreenshot/photo#4952521181760061458

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:06 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ginjg

I haven't used it, but the most popular outliner on mac is omnioutliner

There are several - inotes, Curio, DevonNote. This is the one I'm currently playing with Mindburn

A currently freeware program specifically for writers that includes outlining and database is Jer's Novel Writer

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Last edited by Ginjg on Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
sgt_steve

I'm no novelist so can't make any practical recommendation, but I've been using Jers Novel Writer to keep a lab notebook for about six months. It's the first piece of software that made me abandon a paper notebook (which, by the way, I'd been using since 1983).

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:17 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

That looks fairly complex. Is it really that much better than a notebook? I've never used anything like that before. I have no aversion to trying it, just not sure if it would be right for me.

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ginjg

sgt_steve wrote:
I'm no novelist so can't make any practical recommendation, but I've been using Jers Novel Writer to keep a lab notebook for about six months. It's the first piece of software that made me abandon a paper notebook (which, by the way, I'd been using since 1983).
Did you get the update in March?

Quote:
Originally posted by Boota:
That looks fairly complex. Is it really that much better than a notebook? I've never used anything like that before. I have no aversion to trying it, just not sure if it would be right for me.

Try Jer's. It's so simple even I can use it and it does everything the others do for free.

~~~~~~~

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
FattyFattyPorkFace

Re: Outline Program For Mac?  Reply with quote  

chris wrote:
Hey kids. You've seen my posts about the outline program I use on Windows. It's a tree-based text outline that stores text on a hierarcheal "tree" that you can click to open a given note

http://picasaweb.google.com/The.Ubertard/ActionOutlineScreenshot/photo#4952521181760061458

I need to know what's under the "God's Butt and other notes" part.

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ginjg

Re: Outline Program For Mac?  Reply with quote  

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
chris wrote:

I need to know what's under the "God's Butt and other notes" part.

He can't share that. It's gonna be in the sequel

~~~~~~~

Post Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ginjg

Here's a brand new program Scrivener Gold that is still in beta but looks great.
You can download the beta version but you need 10.4.

~~~~~~~

Post Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
palmer

Anyone?

What is/are the outline program(s) for Window?

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FL

Boota wrote:

I agree.

but most of my writing is not that complex.

I start with an idea and then go from there and work off of it. I recall DNA writing a vivid scene in on of the H2G2 series and then at the end forgetting what the point of the scene was. The story about it was in S of Doubt.

Like Palmer I would like to know of a windows program as well.

FL

- Buk

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:07 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

From the title of the pic he posted, I think AG uses Action Outline , but I could be wrong. Wink

~~~~~~~

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
FattyFattyPorkFace

palmer wrote:
Anyone?

What is/are the outline program(s) for Window?

The one the AG has recommend is ActionOutline from Green Parrot Software. www.actionoutline.com

Also, OneNote from Microsoft is excellent once you get into it. In face, OneNote 2007 (that is currently in beta) is so good that I am using it exclusively while actionoutline wallows in my system tray, unloved.

There are others...but I don't use them and don't know them.

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:28 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
palmer

Anybody know one that workds on Windows CE?

Post Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:01 am   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

Quite possibly the laziest question I've asked the Board:

I use a Mac at home and a PC at work (not that I would EVER write at work, that would be wrong) and I carry around whatever I'm writing on a little thumb-drive. Sooo

What program can I use on both Mac and Windows so I can easily go back and forth?

I've started using YWriter just to help keep things organized, but it's pretty lo-tech. Any ideas?

Thanks

ps - Writer's Digest had a review of writing software in thei last issue. I'll go back and re-read it to see if anything useful was written.

LIW

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:47 am   View user's profile Send private message
Ginjg

LostInWalmart wrote:
Quite possibly the laziest question I've asked the Board:

I use a Mac at home and a PC at work (not that I would EVER write at work, that would be wrong) and I carry around whatever I'm writing on a little thumb-drive. Sooo

What program can I use on both Mac and Windows so I can easily go back and forth?

I've started using YWriter just to help keep things organized, but it's pretty lo-tech. Any ideas?

Thanks

ps - Writer's Digest had a review of writing software in thei last issue. I'll go back and re-read it to see if anything useful was written.

LIW

Gracie's suggestion Power structure is cross platform.

~~~~~~~

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: