Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Music to Write to
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FL

Music to Write to  Reply with quote  

This discussion has come up a few time before and I can’t recall if there is a topic here or not about it but I read on Chris’ profile in Myspace about acid jazz.

Was curious what you thought about Miles Davis and Bitches Brew. This is not the place to this type of question but I will add writing stuff as well.

I like to work to the Bach Cello sonatas interpreted by Yoyo Ma, Passion –Peter Gabriel, and Miles Davis – Bitches Brew. The two cd set with bonus stuff is great. A Kind of Blue is great to write to as well.

Miles Davis is best for photo work but the others are cool for writing. What I find jazz and other instrumental work does is but my mind into a flowing mood and it goes with it. Sounds odd but it does work. I used to like to write and do work in darkrooms to all classical music but also the rhythm of people moving around is good as well.

Any thoughts on what other people write to.

I know Ernest Hemmingway wrote a lot to just the sound of people around him also.

FL

- Buk

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message
FattyFattyPorkFace

All music is music to write to for me. It all invokes some kind of emotion and mental imagery that I can use.

Now, music for a particular emotion or something is harder. I do have a great piece of car chase music...it's called Follow That Arab by Corduroy...however, I have no car chase to write yet.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chris
Site Admin

Some music is very evocotive to me, sort of brings up a sense of elation in me and I want to write grand battle scenes, or sultry love scenes. Anthem music, I'll call it. Couple of things by Vangelis effect me this way, the love theme from Bladerunner, the theme from Year of Living Dangerously, the closing music from True Romance (I think that's Hans Zimmer.) Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue or an American in Paris, The Gary Jules cover of Mad World. Even The Impression that I get by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. That kind of music invokes emotion that I want to put down -- the problem is, I don't really write that fast, so I have to do almost impressionistic sketches of the inspired vision, then plug them in later.

Actually writing, I need to have music that will disappear in the background.

When I was writing my first book I used to listen to boogie woogie (Blues) piano recordings, because they always have that underlying bass-line that keeps the rhthym like a beating heart of a racehorse at the gate, and you know that any minute that right hand is going to jump up some melody and joy and discovery and just lead you right back to the steady boogie-woogie bass. And that's how I wanted the book to read. Now, admittedly, again, I couldn't write to music that fast, so I try to pick up the rhythm, the spirit of it. The fact is, I wrote that first book mostly to the sound of bus trays clanging and orders being called out at a diner. I didn't have a Walkman or whatever steam-powered mini-stereo we used in those days, and I was out in public. I had to tune out whatever music was being played in the diner where I worked.

I think you listen to music that inspires you to the emotion you want to express in your work, like an actor uses a sense-memory, and then when you're actually doing the work, you may have to listen to something else, or not at all. You have to be aware when the music is getting in the way. If I'm listening to it, instead of doing the work, it has to go.

Photo work is different for me. It tends to be tedious and repetitive. Like writing, you can have the idea in an instant, but the execution of the idea can take hours, days, years. (I'm talking about manipulating the images now, darkroom or Photoshop.) I find I can listen to anything I like when doing photo work. The only limitation is I can't listen to Industrial/Goth stuff when I'm trying to do funny photo essays. It doesn't really work. (Yes, I listened to a fair amount of that stuff when I was working on the new book. There's a Goth girl narrator in part of the book and I wanted to be listening to the kind of stuff she'd be listening to.)

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

chris wrote:
I didn't have a Walkman or whatever steam-powered mini-stereo we used in those days, and I was out in public.

I think it was Stephenson's iRocket. I could be wrong.

I've just bought a ton of new CDs and I want to write to all of them. Expect a "Songs to write to" playlist in the mix tapes thread soon.

And that reminds me, I need to go back to my attempt at writing. My sister wants to read it (after she's read ADJ). Ooo, and that reminds me...she said thank you, Chris. She was very surprised.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:50 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FattyFattyPorkFace

Oh and Mary too. She still has that voicemail and is very eager to tell people how you called me a wanker. Too eager I feel. She loves the book...and she hasn't read it yet.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FattyFattyPorkFace

Ooops, totally threadjacked. So yeah, I love writing to music. Music feeds my imagination although sometimes it makes me want to go write a song instead of writing other stuff.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Boota

I wonder if being a musician is what keeps me from being able to write to music? I can't do it. i end up listening to the music and not writing a damn thing.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Boota wrote:
I wonder if being a musician is what keeps me from being able to write to music? I can't do it. i end up listening to the music and not writing a damn thing.

I don't know. I can manage it so either I'm not a musician or I'm just lucky. Like Chris said, you have to find music that you don't listen to...that can be just in the background. There is lots, you just have to search for it.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
FL

chris wrote:

Photo work is different for me. It tends to be tedious and repetitive. Like writing, you can have the idea in an instant, but the execution of the idea can take hours, days, years. (I'm talking about manipulating the images now, darkroom or Photoshop.) I find I can listen to anything I like when doing photo work. The only limitation is I can't listen to Industrial/Goth stuff when I'm trying to do funny photo essays. It doesn't really work. (Yes, I listened to a fair amount of that stuff when I was working on the new book. There's a Goth girl narrator in part of the book and I wanted to be listening to the kind of stuff she'd be listening to.)

I try to stay away from punk when I am working on photos. The songs are short but when you get up and do wicked air guitar solos to Pretty Vacant by The Pistols in the middle of brushing out someone’s zits you tend to loose track as to where you are.

Shit, now I am going to have to put that song on.

FL

- Buk

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Vahlee

I tend to listen to the soothing, relaxing music - or at least instrumental. Enya, Bond, All about Eve, etc.

http://www.upnorthgeorgia.org

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
palmer

Boota wrote:

Ditto. I did a degree in music and spent half my working life in the field, including recording engineer/producer where you're listening like a son of a bitch for problems. So I rarely write to it unless I'm out in the worl somewhere, can't avoid it, and manage to turn it off in my head.

It's not the noise. I wrote a novel almost entirely on the subway. It's that it turns me into an active listener.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:52 pm   View user's profile Send private message
knikkki

I think it's odd, but I don't listen to music when I write. Though music is a big part of my books. Which is weird because, you know, you can't hear it.

Post Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

I can't write to music with words. All the lyrics are popping into my head and I can't think of anything. I like to listen to Jazz, but usually the cliche stuff, pre-fuision. Any of the live Brubeck CDs are great, but I usually go for horns over piano (kinky, no?). Dexter Gordon, Clifford Brown, Sonny Rollins, all the good "modern" stuff.

Right now I can't get Getz/Gilberto out of my head. That damned Girl From Ipanema.

LIW

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:03 am   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

LostInWalmart wrote:
I can't write to music with words. All the lyrics are popping into my head and I can't think of anything. [...]

Even if it's in a language you don't know?

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:06 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goudron

I can only write with music on if it's something I've heard 17 billion times. I can't even read very well with music playing.

Post Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: