Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> A Dirty Job

Dead Like Me
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Click

Dead Like Me  Reply with quote  

Has anyone watched this? It is strangely similar to ADJ. It runs on SciFi Tuesday nights 7pm to 9pm. The premise is a woman dies and is created as and "un" dead and a collector of souls.

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Tarty

I saw a couple of episodes on DVD. It was ok, and I did see some similarities, but it lacked the outrageous humor of Dirty Job.

Is the show still on? I haven't watched tv in about 7 years--really. If I do watch a tv show it is on DVD from Netflix. I don't think I'm missing much.

Post Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:08 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
demophobe

Tarty wrote:
I saw a couple of episodes on DVD. It was ok, and I did see some similarities, but it lacked the outrageous humor of Dirty Job.

Is the show still on? I haven't watched tv in about 7 years--really. If I do watch a tv show it is on DVD from Netflix. I don't think I'm missing much.

This is how I do most of my tv viewing as well, but MY GOD I watch a lot of it. And not just American stuff, but lately a lot of Japanese and previously a lot of British stuff.

My kids watch TV on Saturday morning. Other than that they just watch it on DVD also.

I love netflix. TV with no commercials. YUMMY.

Post Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tarty

Quote:

This is how I do most of my tv viewing as well, but MY GOD I watch a lot of it. And not just American stuff, but lately a lot of Japanese and previously a lot of British stuff.

My kids watch TV on Saturday morning. Other than that they just watch it on DVD also.

I love netflix. TV with no commercials. YUMMY.

I hear ya. I'm a netflix addict too. And I love British comedy.

Post Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Darquewillow_Lily

I'm watching the show on Sci-Fi and I really like it. But Dead Like Me and A Dirty Job are totally different. They have one pretty big similarity, but the stories that come from it couldn't be more different.

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
zendao42

I haven't watched the show but the premise for it came from ON A PALE HORSE. Look it up in your Funk & Wagnalls (or I guess that would be GOOGLE these days) if you don't believe me...

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wonko

What am I supposed to be looking for on Funky Winkerbean's horse?

Post Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
fortune cookie

I must agree with Darquewillow.
Also have been watching on Scifi.
Like it very much.
Enough variation so as not to cause litigiousness, by either camp.

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Casually yours

DEAD LIKE ME ran on Showtime a couple of years ago, and I totally LOVED it then. In fact, when ADJ came out, and I was telling my fiance about it, I kept referring to it as 'the Dead Like Me book.' Not purposely, of course, but if you watch it from the beginning, when the protagonist (isn't her name Charlie?) gets hit by the toilet that fell out of the exploding space station, thus becoming a reaper, you see that the over-the-top humor and incredibly articulate vehemence is truly there. Just....TV, not book.

It's cool that DEAD is getting a new lease on life on SciFi now. It's all great! Feed my head!

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Darquewillow_Lily

Her name was George (Georgia).

I gotta say that I am loving this show, it's funny, quirky and I am pissed that my sister made me miss the eight o clock episode on Tuesday.

Also, I'm sure everybody else already knows this, but I just figured out that Rube is Inigo from The Princess Bride. It all came together when he was talking to the temporary cook in (bad) Spanish.

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Casually yours

Yeqh, that's Mandy Patinkin. Oh, and 'George,' of course! What a great deadpan she is. I am really surprised that the actress hasn't already popped up somewhere very high-profile. I never missed an ep of DEAD LIKE ME during its run on Showtime, but Showtime's series don't always get the attention they should.

Anyway, it's a well-realized Reaper story. What are the darkling-things called? The....starts with a 'g'....gravelings? Damn, they're important, too.

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Heather Chandler

I used to watch DLM when it was on the Movie Network (We don't get Showcase where I live). I read the summary of the ADJ a while afterward (when DLM got cancelled) and immediately drew a comparison, but when actually read the novel, I realized there are also a variety of differences (like Darquewillow_Lily says).

I fell in love with that show. I loved the concept, the characters, everything about it. Mason was awesome. I really loved George's cynicism and Daisy...I don't know, but I really liked her too.

There was this originality embedded into the storyline that appealed to me. I was devestated when it wasn't picked up again. It was one of my favorite shows on TV. I hate when a series with wonderful material doesn't last long.

And yeah, they're called gravelings. Does anyone remember the episode with that guy from Will & Grace (I can't remember his name!)? He was downright creepy!

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Casually yours

Eric McCormack is GREAT when he lurks, smirks, and quirks. That was incredible. I think the woman who played Daisy was brillliant understated, too, and her lines about how she died, under the craft table at GWTW, thinking it was Clark Gable...all the stuff she says with that straightfaced innocence...really enjoyable. The Brit (if he even really WAS a Brit) was fun too.

Hard to imagine how a show like HEROES can get so much freaking attention, and something like DLM just flew under the radar until it died out. Injustice.

Post Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Darquewillow_Lily

Casually yours wrote:
The Brit (if he even really WAS a Brit) was fun too.

Yes Callum Blue really is a Brit. Not only a Brit but his family dates back to the first Roman settlers in England, according to imdb. Also according to imdb

Quote:
Callum Blue, born in London, England, has enjoyed a steady career in film and TV. Best known for his role as Mason in the hit Showtime series, "Dead Like Me" (2003), he has also achieved other hits with "Related" (2005) and The Princess Diaries 2: Royal Engagement (2004), co-starring Anne Hathaway . He received his theatrical training at Mountview in London. He currently resides in Los Angeles.

Yes I have a crush on him.

Post Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:29 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
coypup

Interesting  Reply with quote  

I haven't seen it, but it sounds cool. I have a friend who has the first season on dvd; I'll have to watch it.

Post Sun May 06, 2007 8:58 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: