Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

I'm nervous.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
knikkki

I'm nervous.  Reply with quote  

So we're getting down to the wire here. My book will be published in the next 3 months or so. People are going to start to read it. I feel like I want to write a foreword that says ... Please keep your expectations low. It's my first time. I realize none of this could really happen, it's why it's called fiction.

I feel like I want to throw up.

I'm feeling so uptight about this, that I'm actually panicking and thinking maybe I shouldn't do it. Maybe I should cancel. If the next 3 months are going to be like this ....

(And I'm not complaining, I realize how lucky I am, etc., but it doesn't change the feelings of inadequacy)

I don't want to dissappoint anybody. I want to get feedback from people (outside of the feedback I've already gotten) but I'm afraid to let anybody else read the manuscript. I'm not kidding, I'm being insanely neurotic.

In other news, I just realized (JUST NOW), in the novel I've been working on for 4 years, that I have characters named Matthew and Luke. I hope Mark and John aren't jealous.

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lisa M

knikkki -

I am looking forward to reading your novel. The other day I came upon a small object d`art of a coyote, who was begging for a do-rag. I totally understand your anxiety, but really, I want to read it!

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:55 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Relax. That one's done. There's nothing you can do about it. Push that birdie out of the nest and hope it flies.

You should only be freaked about the one that you're still working on. There are those who would tell you to relax completely, enjoy the process. I have no idea what they are talking about. I'm always freaked out about the next book. Always. I'm not saying that's good, but it's better to be freaked out about something you can do something about.

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:56 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

You will do fine. I agree with Chris as well. In any art form it is the next one that freaks even the coolest of heads out. I will work on a series of photos and always have something else, a new project in mind, so to keep me thinking about what is coming next. It also keeps my mind focused so that I have somewhere else to go when something is done. I just finished a series of photos today, or at least I am done for now with it and may come back to it, however I already have anothing project in mind to do. Let is go and move on. It ia hard to do though.

FL

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:16 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
knikkki

chris wrote:
Relax. That one's done. There's nothing you can do about it. Push that birdie out of the nest and hope it flies.

You should only be freaked about the one that you're still working on. There are those who would tell you to relax completely, enjoy the process. I have no idea what they are talking about. I'm always freaked out about the next book. Always. I'm not saying that's good, but it's better to be freaked out about something you can do something about.

I'm supposed to write another one?

Smile

Thanks to both of you ...

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

My next CD totally freaks me out...that's why it has been 4 years...and counting.

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Regina

Funny, I always get a delayed nervous reaction... like, after all is said and done I get nervous...

Actually I only get worried about my folks reading my stuff...

Anyway... I think Chris nailed it... once its out in the world, I think its a good idea to move on to the next project. (easier said than done, I know )

I heart projects.

I am also slightly toasted so forgive me if this makes no sense!

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:07 am   View user's profile Send private message
Boota

Nicole, I'm looking forward to reading your book. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I know you can write and I know you're funny. I'm sure that somewhere in there with your nervousness you know it, too. Get a little swagger. This is going to be a great experience! Besides, you've got some professionals behind you. You have a publisher who thought enough of your work to give it a shot. Publishers don't waste their time on something they don't feel is good enough. This is soooooo gonna rock!

Maybe it's just me, but I never have that kind of feeling about my work coming out. When I put out Mr. U and every CD I've ever released I have the attitude of, "Okay, check THIS shit out!" Granted, with Mr. U I really only expected to sell five or six copies and piss off four of those people, but still...

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sgt_steve

Re: I'm nervous.  Reply with quote  

knikkki wrote:
In other news, I just realized (JUST NOW), in the novel I've been working on for 4 years, that I have characters named Matthew and Luke. I hope Mark and John aren't jealous.
Just tell 'em to wait for the sequel.

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FattyFattyPorkFace

Boota wrote:
Nicole, I'm looking forward to reading your book. I can't wait to get my hands on it. I know you can write and I know you're funny. I'm sure that somewhere in there with your nervousness you know it, too. Get a little swagger. This is going to be a great experience! Besides, you've got some professionals behind you. You have a publisher who thought enough of your work to give it a shot. Publishers don't waste their time on something they don't feel is good enough. This is soooooo gonna rock!

Maybe it's just me, but I never have that kind of feeling about my work coming out. When I put out Mr. U and every CD I've ever released I have the attitude of, "Okay, check THIS shit out!" Granted, with Mr. U I really only expected to sell five or six copies and piss off four of those people, but still...

Boota, I don't worry when it is done. It's the situation I'm in now where I have to get it done. I have set my sights high and everytime I go to get something recorded, I mess it up or get frustrated because I'm not achieving what I wanted to. If I could lower my sights, maybe lose a little perfection, it'd be done 3 years ago...though without some of the songs I've written since.

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:49 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
LostInWalmart

knikkki wrote:
I'm supposed to write another one?

No. Absolutely not. You are this generation's Harper Lee. Get used to living in obscurity. Relish it. Practice shooing people off of your property now, so you'll be comfortable with it in the decades to come.

Oh, and congratulations. I'm impressed and awed by people who have not only accomplished something like this, but have also read and enjoyed Survivor as much as I did. Wink

LIW

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:06 am   View user's profile Send private message
lisa

But Knikkki..How exciting! To have written a whole book. It's a terrific achievement.

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
knikkki

I really appreciate all your support!

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:46 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
gailellen

Celebrate!  Reply with quote  

No only did you write - you did all the follow thru as well. You are about to be a published writer. THAT'S HUGE!!! Let the book conquer the world, prepare for success and buy lots of chocolate just in case. Better get lots of copies to sign and charge more for... I want one!

when is your first reading? Get signed up for Wordstock... (more convenient for me Laughing )
You rock, Nicole!

MySpace

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:23 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
knikkki

Re: Celebrate!  Reply with quote  

gailellen wrote:
No only did you write - you did all the follow thru as well. You are about to be a published writer. THAT'S HUGE!!! Let the book conquer the world, prepare for success and buy lots of chocolate just in case. Better get lots of copies to sign and charge more for... I want one!

when is your first reading? Get signed up for Wordstock... (more convenient for me Laughing )
You rock, Nicole!

LOL .... That made me laugh and frankly, scared me a little! Thank you for your enthusiasm. The thought of doing a reading sends me into a tailspin of epic proportions. It's not the public speaking thing, I'm fine with that. It would be the "finding a passage" to read thing.

Post Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:28 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: