Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Short Stories
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Ferrit Leggings

Short Stories  Reply with quote  

I have a rather short attention span and tend to love short stories and authors who don't blather on with bs and no essential junk in their writing.

What I was thinking about was a book of short stories with a central theme something like a street or shop or something like that. It would be a novel but more or less short stories within the chapters. The narrative would shift and the tone may as well but not so greatly that the reader would get lost.

Sound ok or no?

I just want to try something new. Writing a regular novel is not just for me.

FL

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:24 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lisa M

Short Stories  Reply with quote  

FL, this is ambitious, and I look forward to the result. There is a tale of Mark Twain, having been complimented on Huckleberry Finn as having said, `thank you. If I had had more time it would have been a short story.`
Or, maybe it was in a letter to the author, I cannot remember. But. Great concept.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

Thanks, I was writing out another attempt at yet another novel and realised that I have never been able to do anything normally in art of photography so why do it in writing.

My idea right now is to base it all on a street that I used to live on in a city. It was a wonderful place but odd. Think might know of it. If you walk one way you meant up with a hockey arena that was place right in the middle of the ghetto and walk the other way you walked into a BK with an abortion clinic on one side and a Catholic Church on the other. The Protesters never went hungry.

I would embellish a bit and add more to it than there really was but it is amazing the idea you can come up with while driving. Course it is not a comedy of sorts, mostly satire and just human stories. There was a time that I thought I could write comedy but that takes a talent I do not have.

FL

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lisa M

Ferrit Leggings wrote:
Thanks, I was writing out another attempt at yet another novel and realised that I have never been able to do anything normally in art of photography so why do it in writing.

My idea right now is to base it all on a street that I used to live on in a city. It was a wonderful place but odd. Think might know of it. If you walk one way you meant up with a hockey arena that was place right in the middle of the ghetto and walk the other way you walked into a BK with an abortion clinic on one side and a Catholic Church on the other. The Protesters never went hungry.

I would embellish a bit and add more to it than there really was but it is amazing the idea you can come up with while driving. Course it is not a comedy of sorts, mostly satire and just human stories. There was a time that I thought I could write comedy but that takes a talent I do not have.

FL

Fl,

All the heavens know, I am not expert. But from what you have said, I hear different voices.. Same street, different folks. Do you need for it all to be your voice?

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Ferrit Leggings

No, It will be in different pov's. Say Lisa M living in Apartment B will be in first person and John Jacob in C will have another voice, and so on from the guy walking down the street. I find it fascinating to write from someone else's pov other than my own. That is why I like first person narratives. I also like the idea of writing about city life while living in a rural area now. I think I can tell more of the truth about living there since moving.

My plan for over the summer was to get my older photo work in order and in a final stage ready to print and then get to work on a book while I send out the photos. It has been working out well, especially since my truck has been at the garage for over a week and I have been borrowing a car to drive back and forth to work. I am getting a lot done, well a lot done after I got done feeling a bit sorry for myself.

FL

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JennyO

Sounds like a good idea, FL.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:41 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Boota

That sounds great. I'd love to read something like that. I'm a big fan of short story anthologies, even though I hear they don't sell well. They must do okay or they wouldn't keep publishing them, I figure. Good luck, FL!

I'm working on a similar idea with some friends. We're going to write a short story anthology all taking place in one city on one night. It's going to be dark and pulpy. The catch is that one person writes a story and then passes it to the next person in line. (We'll draw straws for order or something.) The next person must take a minor/background character from the first story and write a story picking up point where the character they choose was in the first story. Each writer is responsible for giving the next writer something to work with, so a few minor/background characters are a good idea. Maybe it will work, maybe it won't. Should be fun, though.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:25 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ferrit Leggings

Boota,

after reading your first book I cannot imagine you writing light and fluffy. I also like the pulp stories. When I was younger I had this fixation with stories about hit men. Those book are long forgotten though. Of course Pulp Fiction was a favourite film of mine. I liked the way the story jumped around and still had flow to it. The new one with Frank Miller's comic work had a lot of pulp influence in it. I also just heard that the guy who wrote Mike Hammer passed on recently. He had some style. Buk also wrote a lot with that same up front style that knocked the reader on the ass.

I couldn't write a car chase or murder scene to save my life though.

Your idea sounds very cool. Different voices within the same story is very cool and we are still young so we might as well give it a try.

FL

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:47 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
earthshoes

Ray Bradbury did this very successfully with Martian Chronicles (I'm sure there are others. He's just the first to come to mind). The trick seems to be to have good stories that stand up by themselves as well.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ferrit Leggings

I like Bradbury, he had a strange view of the world. I was thinking almost like a novel within the stories though. The stories would be individual to each new narrative voice, sometimes reflecting on a character that came before or one that would be coming up.

I have met a lot of people in my life, especially when I lived in the city. I was not one of those people who walked with their head down and got to point a to b as soon as possible. I stopped and chatted and listened to other peoples stories and lives. I always have but it also makes for interesting reading as well. The good thing about me moving years ago is that I don't remember names just the characters. I have never been good with names.

Most of the time I plan everything out and then head into something and don't like what I am doing or get bored with it, no matter if people tell me that it is good or not. It is the attention span, too many years of Dr Seuss.

What I wanted was a way to tell all that is in my head but without making it boring and to do that I need to have multiple personalities in the book.

Thanks Earthshoes btw. It is always good to hear from you.

FL

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

Steinbeck's The Pastures of Heaven and The Long Valley are pretty much in that genre. The classic is Winesburg, Ohio. I forget the author and I'm too lazy to Google it. Tama Janowitz's, Slaves of New York is along the lines of that kind of project too.

Post Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
JennyO

chris wrote:
The classic is Winesburg, Ohio. I forget the author and I'm too lazy to Google it.

Sherwood Anderson.

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:43 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
LostInWalmart

Along the lines of inter-related short stories --->

Ali Smith wrote Hotel World, which is a collection of stories somewhat inter-related, that happen in or about a hotel.

Finbar's Hotel is another collection of stories about a hotel, but it was put together by a bunch of Irish writers (including Roddy Doyle and Colm Toibin). There was a follow up called Ladies Night at Finbar's Hotel.

Both very worthwhile.

LIW

Post Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:18 am   View user's profile Send private message
[Koosh]

That sounds like a really interesting idea.
Good luck with it.

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:59 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Naked and Famous

I like stuff like that too, but I haven't read too many short stories like that. I do like movies like that. Holes is in a sense like that too. It isn't short stories but there are stories being told within the story and at the end you find out how they are all connected. It is one of my kids favorite movies and I even like to watch it. (We are planning on reading the book soon too.)

If that is kind of what you were planning it would be interesting to see how it works out. I say take a stab at it.

Post Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:40 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: