Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Chris in England
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lisa M

Chris in England  Reply with quote  

I wanna go to England. Thanks, CM, I needed the giggle today!

Last edited by Lisa M on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:48 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lukaret

Location: ... Hell. No wait... make that GP, Texas, that's about the same thing.

Cheese is good. Mmmm... And mushrooms and tomatos at breakfast sounds divine.

But you made me giggle in the middle of a computer lab, thanks Chris. I need to dispel all the stares by dancing! XD

Facebook Me!

I have a Twitter too.

Slowly returning from the hell pit that is college. I hope. D:

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:20 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nevermore26

Well, aside from them being amused by Americans, and/or trying to run them over by driving on the left, how have they treated you? Mr. Green

Nevermore...

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:15 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
JennyO

"Cockles and mussels, alive, alive ho," does not mean what I thought it did.

This made me snort Dr Pepper out my nose. Very Happy

Kurt Vonnegut

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sara Leigh

#26 is oh so true! They're pretty much impossible to understand. Rosie and I just did a lot of smiling and nodding when we were in Scotland. I'm sure they thought we were a little dim-witted. Fortunately that seemed like the appropriate response to just about everything said to us.

Sounds like England's pretty much the same as it was 30-some years ago.

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:11 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
y

chris wrote:
16. "Cockles and mussels, alive, alive ho," does not mean what I thought it did.
I thought I was the only one who knew that song! I used to sing it when I was a little girl!

Oh, and glad you had a nice time btw!

*walks away singing "In Dublin's fair city, where the girls are so pretty, there once lived a maid called Miss Molly Malone..."*

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:40 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lynn

I wouldn't have said that the coffee was strong so much as they burned the fucking coffee grounds before using them. Ash is not a good flavoring for coffee. I've said it before and I'll say it again. The UK is the only place in Europe where Starbucks has really caught on, and that's because they needed our help.

If you ever want to totally blow the low carb thing off, check out the candy aisle at Sainsbury's or Tesco. Best sweets in the world. Course they would have to be, it's what you have to live off over there. That and Asian food.

Iffen you've still got time in London, check out the Black Widow pub in South Kenn or the Marlborough Head off Oxford Street (I'm so gonna be in troubles with Jeff for recommending a theme pub). They're part of a chain called the Eerie Pub Co. Lots of fun for the atmosphere. Kind of cheerily goth. And they had pretty good food. Tasty chicken fingers at any rate.

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:24 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lib

The AG is making his own history in merry old England.

<---------

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:38 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Goudron

"Who is Christopher Wren?" Must be in the form of a question!

So how was your spotted dick? I hope it's cleared up by now.

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:27 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
zendao42

Goudron wrote:
"Who is Christopher Wren?" Must be in the form of a question!

So how was your spotted dick? I hope it's cleared up by now.

You should skip the bangers & mash (I think that's what they call it), it might make it worse. While you're in Scotland, don't be suprised if, among the various mumbles, you think you've been called a wide cunt. It's just their way of being friendly. Wink

The elevators really talk to you?! When did they start that? I hope you were in a legal state of mind when you stepped into one. That would so freak me out!

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mllefifi

zendao42 wrote:
The elevators really talk to you?! When did they start that? I hope you were in a legal state of mind when you stepped into one. That would so freak me out!

Reminds me of talking weight-scales, like the one on a comedy show a long time ago that said things like this when you step on it: "Let me guess: You're an ocean-liner, aren't you?" Razz

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:01 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Darquewillow_Lily

What do the elevators tell you?

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:10 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Darquewillow_Lily

Quote:

12. Sweaters are called jumpers. People who jump up and down continuously are called sweaters.

Still laughing my a** off!

Last edited by Darquewillow_Lily on Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
knikkki

Love London, and the rest of England too ...

Last time I was there my friend and I wanted to go to Abbey Road and stand in the middle of the street and take a picture (I mean, who doesn't want to do that, right?) So we asked the concierge how to get there ... He wouldn't tell us. He said there was nothing to see there. We were too embarrassed to tell him about the picture.

We spent about 4 hours looking for it. Never found it.

Another time a different friend and I went on a Jack the Ripper tour. That's not in a good part of town. We saw a woman sitting in a pile of her own vomit. As our tour group passed a pub a bunch of men came out and yelled "Jack the ripper's in here." Which was also embarrassing.

Then there was the time I got engaged, and the time I got drunk and drove on the wrong side of the road in Scotland.

I've climbed the Tor, been to Tintagel and stood on "King Arthur's" grave.

Good times ... and yeah, the food has vastly improved. Italian food in the UK tends to be great.

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DanaMichelle

Good stuff, Chris. I don't want to travel anywhere unless you come with me to make it funnier. Smile

DanaMichelle

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:36 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: