Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Ask AG
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lenore

Ask AG  Reply with quote  

AG-What's the timetable for a hard cover to go to paperback?

Is it a fixed time or does it depend on books sold?

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

It depends on the publisher's schedule more than anything. Rule of thumb is a year, but if the book continues to sell in hardcover, the publisher will hold back, since they make more on hardcovers.

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:50 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Laveric

Dear AG, do you make more money off of hardcovers? I normally have bought books in hardcover with this in mind and am wondering if I am right.

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

Here's a related question, Chris: do mass-market paperbacks provide less residuals than the "regular" paperback editions? (I ask, because the one mass-market-type edition of your novels that I own is Lust Lizard, which might have been discounted also as a remainder when I bought it on Amazon, although I can't remember now.)

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
chris
Site Admin

Laveric wrote:
Dear AG, do you make more money off of hardcovers? I normally have bought books in hardcover with this in mind and am wondering if I am right.

Yes, royalties on hardcovers are typically 10-15%, escalating as the numbers get bigger. (That is, say 10% on the first 10,000, 12% on the next 5000, and 15% thereafter.)

Royalties on paperbacks are about 8%.

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
chris
Site Admin

mllefifi wrote:
Here's a related question, Chris: do mass-market paperbacks provide less residuals than the "regular" paperback editions? (I ask, because the one mass-market-type edition of your novels that I own is Lust Lizard, which might have been discounted also as a remainder when I bought it on Amazon, although I can't remember now.)

I think the royalty percentage is the same, so it's all about the numbers. Mass market paperbacks tend to be printed in bigger numbers, but cost less, and can't be resold if sent back to the publisher (from say, 7-11 or Wal-Mart- the covers are stripped and sent back and the books are thrown away.). Trade paperbacks cost more and have a longer shelf life, but tend to be printed in smaller lots and generally don't have as much merchandising space in non-book retailers (read grocery and drug stores). They've tried mass market with a couple of my books, but since they tend to sell about the same numbers in either format, they've decided to stay with the trade paperbacks since the cover price is higher.

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Rob 1

Okay off the subject...Did I read that there is going to be audio(CD) books coming out of Lamb and Fluke?! I hope so. They're great on long trips.

Look forward to the tour!

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:00 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
FattyFattyPorkFace

I have a question that I think most people are missing here.

If you get 10-15% on hardcovers and about 8% or thereabouts on paperbacks, will House kill a patient before the end of the current season?

Post Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:15 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
chris
Site Admin

Rob 1 wrote:
Okay off the subject...Did I read that there is going to be audio(CD) books coming out of Lamb and Fluke?! I hope so. They're great on long trips.

Look forward to the tour!

Lamb comes out in March. I haven't heard anything about Fluke being released in CD yet, but it makes sense. I'll let you know on that one.

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Lenore

I've already pre-ordered "You Suck." Looking forward to the paperback of A Dirty Job and now the audio book of LAMB.

2007 looks damn good.

thanks for the info AG.

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:09 pm   View user's profile Send private message
shestumbledin

chris wrote:

Lamb comes out in March. I haven't heard anything about Fluke being released in CD yet, but it makes sense. I'll let you know on that one.

I've never listened to an audio book -- who does the reading? I would imagine that would make a huge difference. I suddenly am picturing Jack Black...

Shocked

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:12 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Beta Male Mike

Hi AG,

I started college back in August. I'm doing a good job on my APA style research papers (got an A + on a cutural paper about flatulence called "Who Farted? To Pass or Not to Pass Gas", but recently I feel my creative writing has turned to shit. I seem to fret over every line when I write now.

Do you have any tips on how to maintain and develop my creative writing, especially in fiction, while I'm learning new writing techinques and methods in school?

Thank you!

Michael

P.S. I read an excerpt from "A Dirty Job" for a group presentation, and everyone loved it.

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

shestumbledin wrote:
chris wrote:

I've never listened to an audio book -- who does the reading? I would imagine that would make a huge difference. I suddenly am picturing Jack Black...

Shocked

Fisher Stevens reads A Dirty Job and I hear he does a great job. A woman actress reads You Suck, but I don't know her name. I don't think the reader for Lamb has been cast yet.

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:29 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
shestumbledin

Cool! Thanks. Smile

That seems so weird to me that you don't have anything to do with the casting of the readers. I can understand it from a business standpoint, but from a creative side it has the possibility of great suckage. What if they cut a deal with Fran Drescher or David Hasselhoff?

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:38 am   View user's profile Send private message
Lynn

FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
I have a question that I think most people are missing here.

If you get 10-15% on hardcovers and about 8% or thereabouts on paperbacks, will House kill a patient before the end of the current season?

Probably. Thanks for bringing up the fact that I don't have cable again. Jerk.

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: