Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> Blog Comments

Ask AG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
FattyFattyPorkFace

Lynn wrote:
FattyFattyPorkFace wrote:
I have a question that I think most people are missing here.

If you get 10-15% on hardcovers and about 8% or thereabouts on paperbacks, will House kill a patient before the end of the current season?

Probably. Thanks for bringing up the fact that I don't have cable again. Jerk.

What's funny is that I do have cable but I don't watch House often.

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:39 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nevermore26

Ummm, House is on regular old broadcast TV... Razz Unless you don't have a FOX affiliate, I guess... I still don't watch it. Mr. Green

Nevermore...

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Shanahan

AG, when you get out to Cambridge, am I buying you a drink? I want to make sure I have enough cash on hand.

Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:56 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
shestumbledin

Dear AG,

1.) WTF am I supposed to do now that I've read all of your old blogs? (I wanted to comment about 138 times, but since most of the blogs were over a year old I didn't want to boost old threads and annoy all the regulars.*) So please sir, may I have another?

2.) On some of the oldest threads you have posted pictures that are now dead links. Have the photos disappeared permanently or could I be amused at some other url?

3.) This has been bugging the everlovingshit out of me for years: Why are we "suspending disbelief" and not just "suspending belief"? Or am I a moron who just doesn't get the English language although it's my native tongue?

Thanks in advance,
Dana

*I'm so bummed I didn't know about this place after the 2004 election.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:30 pm   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

This made my brain hurt.

I think if you suspend belief, then you don't believe the story being told.

If you suspend disbelief, then you are willing to believe it.

At least, that's what I don't disbelieve. I believe.

B

btw - believe is one of those words that, the more times you say it, the more sure you become that it's a completely made up word.

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:45 pm   View user's profile Send private message
mllefifi

LostInWalmart wrote:
[...] btw - believe is one of those words that, the more times you say it, the more sure you become that it's a completely made up word.

Indeed, LIW, not only that, but more specifically the phrase "believe in [something]" has so little meaning (to me) that I don't even use it. Zum Beispiel:

"I do/don't believe in God" = "I do/don't think that God exists"
    "I don't believe in abortion" = "abortion should not be allowed" or "abortion is wrong"
    "I believe in you" = "you have value as a person" or "you can do/accomplish (whatever)"

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:03 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Thespeia

mllefifi wrote:
LostInWalmart wrote:
[...] btw - believe is one of those words that, the more times you say it, the more sure you become that it's a completely made up word.

Indeed, LIW, not only that, but more specifically the phrase "believe in [something]" has so little meaning (to me) that I don't even use it. Zum Beispiel:
    "I do/don't believe in God" = "I do/don't think that God exists"
    "I don't believe in abortion" = "abortion should not be allowed" or "abortion is wrong"
    "I believe in you" = "you have value as a person" or "you can do/accomplish (whatever)"

I particularly like when someone says he doesn't believe in (let's say) butter because proving him wrong by handing him butter makes me giggle.

-- Nokia 3220 User Guide, page 1

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
mllefifi

Thespeia wrote:
I particularly like when someone says he doesn't believe in (let's say) butter because proving him wrong by handing him butter makes me giggle.

Yes, Thespeia, that's the other sense of the phrase I was trying to think of yesterday! Thanks!

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:33 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Wonko

I beleive you have something there! Laughing

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:32 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
mllefifi

Wonko wrote:
I beleive you have something there! Laughing

Indeed, "beleive" creates even more problems! Evil or Very Mad

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:37 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Beta Male Mike

Maybe I should have asked that question in the "so you wanna be a writer" message board........actually now that I think about it, that was a dumb fuckin' question. Sometimes the question itself is the problem. Light bulb!

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:21 pm   View user's profile Send private message
LostInWalmart

As I used to tell all my training classes, there is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people. They don't let me train much anymore.

B

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:46 am   View user's profile Send private message
RedOrcaMoon

Location: someplace...probably inside my head or in another world

chris wrote:
Rob 1 wrote:
Okay off the subject...Did I read that there is going to be audio(CD) books coming out of Lamb and Fluke?! I hope so. They're great on long trips.

Look forward to the tour!

Lamb comes out in March. I haven't heard anything about Fluke being released in CD yet, but it makes sense. I'll let you know on that one.
I personally am one of the few people who objects to the books on tape/ books on CD or whatever... audio books. but you know what? I would still purchase them if it was to make both of my parents laugh and see jsut how great AG's books are. in fact as soon as Ican, I will purchase lamb and a dirty job on audio book and force my dad to listen to a dirty job and lamb will be forced upon my mom.

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:02 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RedOrcaMoon

Location: someplace...probably inside my head or in another world

LostInWalmart wrote:
As I used to tell all my training classes, there is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb people. They don't let me train much anymore.

B
you know I have a friend who use to have that on a shirt,..... well his mom kinda threw that shirt in the trash... i feel bad for him...

Last edited by RedOrcaMoon on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:04 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Beta Male Mike

Nice LostinWalmart lol. By the way, is that a Garrison Keillor Bobble Head?

AG- Do you meditate?

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:11 pm   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: