Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> The Author Guy Boardello Cookbook

Holiday Rum Balls

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
debidkh

Holiday Rum Balls  Reply with quote  

This is so easy, and they're eaten pretty fast, too.

1 box Nilla Wafers, crunched as fine as possible
1 tbsp rich cocoa powder, sifted through wafer crumbs
1/4 cup karo syrup, mix in as best you can
1/4 dark rum, mixed in well

Roll into tight balls, then drop in powdered sugar

For variety, you can use Kahlua, Malibu Rum or another flavored liqueur that you think might lend itself to the chocolate flavor.

Season's eatings...

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:47 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Ginjg

They're even easier if you use those nabisco famous chocolate wafers in place of nillas and cocoa

~~~~~~~

Why should we bother with immortality when we are eternal?

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:31 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Karin

I had some of those last year! I had them for a couple hours...until the DOGS ate every one of them! My husband had decided to store them on a paper plate on the counter. I never even got to taste them. Sad But now that I have the recipe I can whip up a batch or 7 and store them where the dogs can't get them. Thanks for the recipe debidkh.

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:43 pm   View user's profile Send private message
debidkh

My pleasure. I started holiday baking already and last night sat on the coach and rolled these out.

Any ideas on other liqueurs that would be good?

Ginjg... Thanks for the tip on the choco wafers. Duh! I can't believe I looked right at them last night at Safeway and didn't put two and three together. I will on the next batch. Thanks!

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:49 pm   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Katy O

Amaretto would be good, Creme de Banana too, mmmmm! Maybe even butterscotch schnapps.

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:18 pm   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ginjg

Ok, I found the recipe I use. It's about the same as Debbi's:

mix in a bowl:
2 Cups finely crushed crumbs:
famous choclate wafers, vanilla wafers, graham cracker, even sponge cake or gingerbread
1 C powdered sugar
2 T unsweetened cocoa (optional)
1 C finely chopped nuts (optional)

combine:
1 1/2 T orange blossom honey
1/4 C liquor of your choice: Rum, brandy, applejack, scotch, bourbon, etc.

Slowly add the liquid to the dry ingredients, mixing with your hand until the consistancy feels that the mixture will hold its shape.
Shape the balls and roll in powdered sugar or cocoa powder

If you need more liquid use straight liquor a few drops at a time as there's no need to make it sweeter

~~~~~~~

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
debidkh

Ooh, that sounds good, too.

I just made a batch with Malibu Rum. They taste like Mounds bars. Maybe the next one I'll chop some almonds into a fine powder and add that and make Almond Joy rum balls.

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:05 pm   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
Ginjg

And, if you're one of those plan way ahead frugal ocd types, you can dump the cookie crumbs from each package/batch consumed during the year into a freezer container. Then you have the primary ingredient all ready for baking season.

~~~~~~~

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:00 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
ken
Site Admin

I think I'll try this with some Navan (Vanilla Cognac) ...

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:54 pm   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number
Karin

I made these (finally!), but I used 3 Tablespoons of cocoa and a combination of Bailey's and Kahlua. YUMMMMMM!!!

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:54 am   View user's profile Send private message
Arioch

Ginjg wrote:
And, if you're one of those plan way ahead frugal ocd types, you can dump the cookie crumbs from each package/batch consumed during the year into a freezer container. Then you have the primary ingredient all ready for baking season.

I resemble that remark. Embarassed Not really, but kinda sorta of? Laughing
Cause maybe I don't love you all that much - Dan Bern

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 1:10 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
debidkh

Karin wrote:
I made these (finally!), but I used 3 Tablespoons of cocoa and a combination of Bailey's and Kahlua. YUMMMMMM!!!

With my mom visiting, I thought I'd catch hell for the rum balls on the counter. (The kid being able to eat them, you know) I was so surprised when she ate about half dozen of them and asked for my recipe. Wow, wonders never cease.

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:04 am   View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: