Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

Three words

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Lara

Three words  Reply with quote  

There is a mystery/romance series that I've been listening to at work because the woman sitting across from me has nearly every audio copy of it (there's around 30 books in the series... that's over a month's worth of reading).

Anyhow...

Because of this series there are now three words that I now HATE when listening to or reading a book.

1) sip

2) slurp

3) gulp

I no longer handle the over-use of these three words.

Whenever any of the characters in the series open a bottle of wine, pour a cup of coffee, or pop a "tube" of Pepsi... I cringe. I know that for the next three or four pages/minutes I am going to have to read/listen to the laziest writing ever.

Yes, I know they have a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. I know that at random intervals they will be drinking from it.

I do not need to know EVERY SINGLE TIME they take a sip, gulp, or slurp.

It is possible to give your characters something else to do to break up the dialogue.

God, even writing the words bugs me.

Just sharin'.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:21 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
y

Too many he said, she said, they said, yelled, quipped, spoke,...etc - that's what tends to grind on my nerves.

"Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart." - Anne Frank

Post Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:22 pm   View user's profile Send private message
Lara

The "he said" "she said" thing drives me crazy, too. That's why I couldn't finish the Dexter novel.

The series I was reading was the In Death series by JD Robb. I enjoyed them otherwise. Very light and entertaining, certainly not high lit, but I would love to tell her to lay off the sipping, gulping and slurping.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1286305849

Post Sat Dec 16, 2006 2:39 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Sewer_harpy

I found this new writer, C.Moore I think he calls himself.....we all could learn alot from this up and comer !! - - just joined, love the site, love the Chris...

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:42 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lisa

Love the bum too you harpy

Post Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:35 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sewer_harpy

student writers  Reply with quote  

Thank you it's a very happy bum??!! Anyway, I found some old journals of mine the other day and if I were to grade myself on grammatical content and sentence structure, I feel that I would have to fail myself....I guess in college I was more concerned with beer, bongs and babes than I was in prepositions and conjunctions....oh to be young again. To shed the shackles of proper form and throw caution to the literary wind.....It's really early and I am at work on a Saturday....please forgive me.....I can't end this...HELP....OK I think I am over it.............funny I just reread this and apparently I still suck !!

Post Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:14 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: