Christopher Moore Home Page

The bulletin board is currently closed to new posts. Instead, why not check out Chris' Twitter and Facebook pages?

bbs.chrismoore.com Forum Index -> So You Wanna Be a Writer?

A NEW FORUM

Author    Thread This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
chris
Site Admin

A NEW FORUM  Reply with quote  

Well, you guys, I started the new book today -- started actually trying to put it together, used the tools we talked about in the "outline thread" above in New and Noise.

To be honest, I really enjoy doing the blog when I'm traveling, but I don't think it's going to be quite as easy to document the writing of a book without either airing out the wild mood swings that accompany the process, or discussing parts of the book that really shouldn't be read while still in progress. I'll try to mitigate the prior a little, but I suppose at some level, some insight into the mind of a working novelist might make you guys feel better about your own self-doubt.

So, here we'll discuss craft, and I'd really like to discuss CRAFT, not marketing. If you haven't read whatever the latest version of Writer's Market is, don't know what a query letter is, don't understand format and submission issues, we can cover those once. Only once. Most of my info in regard to that subject is fifteen years old, so I can't claim any more expertise than you guys on marketing.

Post Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:20 pm   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Q

hmmm...  Reply with quote  

Some attributes that seem common for this process:
------------------------------------------------------------

Mood swings

Taboos on certain topics until an appropriate time

Incubation period

Interrupted or erratic sleep

Wear and tear on the body

Wear and tear on outside relationships

Trying to come up with the perfect name

Hoping to have it out by a certain date

The further along you go, the more frequently outside experts feel the need to check up on your progress.

and

Once it's out, the job ain't over. There's all new responsibilities that go along with it.
-------------------

SO, as you can see, having a baby is no small tas--

No, wait, wait...I mean writing a book is no sma--

no. It was babies....or books?

What was this list about?
and the second has all of the fun.

--Analytics of Five

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:05 am   View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Lib

Veerrryyy Interesting.  Reply with quote  

It'll be interesting to read about the whole process. However, I'll just be a reader (you need those - very important). Wink

Post Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:28 am   View user's profile Send private message
chris
Site Admin

Re: Veerrryyy Interesting.  Reply with quote  

Lib wrote:
It'll be interesting to read about the whole process. However, I'll just be a reader (you need those - very important). Wink

Absolutely, LIB. We'll be talking about you a lot. In my experience, writers who are learning forget about the reader all too often. We shall not forget, we shall not falter. (Sorry, been watching a lot of campaign speeches this week.)

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:32 am   View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Katy O

I'm with Lib on being 'just a reader'. You might be able to teach me how to write but you can't put ideas in my head. Well, you could, but if you did it would probably just be something like "clean my house" or "polish my shoes". At least, those are the ideas I'd put in someone else's head.

I had an idea for a book once but I didn't write it down since I thought I had an infallible memory. Needless to say, I promptly forgot it and now only the ghost of that idea lingers in my head. Ever since then I really like the idea of writing but I have nothing to say. I'm creatively constipated. Mostly I read books and think, "I wish I'd thought of that!"

Post Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:50 am   View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Cassie

It is indeed very easy to get caught up in "being the author" and forget that you are, in the end, not doing this for yourself. You are of course an artist, but you are also (in laymans terns of course) an entertainer. You write to delight if you will, or to frighten, or intrigue, or...I don't know, maybe you are just doing it as a fuck you to all of the people from your old high school who doubted you . Yet, as Chris said, it's all about the reader in the end.

Post Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:10 am   View user's profile Send private message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: